Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Taking A Break

Hey guys!

Today's post is about something I've been waffling back and forth on for months. I've debated, hmm'ed and haww'ed and have given myself a massive headache, and now I've reached a conclusion.

I need to take a break from blogging.

I've been hitting publish on several posts every week here for the past six years. Nola herself was just six months old when I started Dachshund Nola, and it's been an incredible experience. The growth and knowledge I've obtained from blogging is something I treasure deeply, and has helped shaped me into the person I am today. I am incredibly thankful for the community, the friendship and the opportunities that have come out of this.

But...I'm at a standstill with blogging. I'm at the point where it's becoming an extremely unpleasant task to sit and schedule the three posts a week I've scaled down to, and I breathe a sigh of relief when it's done. I don't know what to post about, and when I try to get out something of any value, absolutely nothing gets put down on paper.

The community has changed and shifted, with microblogging edging classic blogging out of its place. I'll be the first to admit that I've found a great little niche with Instagram, while plenty of others love Facebook or Twitter, Snapchat or YouTube.

I'm tired of constant sponsored posts, both reading and producing. I'm weary of reviews. I'm sick of the drama and the cliques. I'm frustrated with my numbers being high, but my engagement being low. I'm frazzled with blog upkeep.

I'm not a writer. I never have been, and I never will be. Writing does not come naturally to me, and 99% of the time I give into the frustration of it and just spam you with photos.
The last post I've been really proud of and happy with? It was "Is She a Rescue?" An Open Letter to Breeder Hate. I wrote that last July, and did it in under 30 minutes. It went wild overnight, skyrocketing to my most popular post of all time, and landed me hundreds of shares and a radio interview. While I love it and am thrilled with how it went down, it's almost more frustrating to me that no matter what I try, I can't write anything close to that again. Nothing comes out when I try, and I've tried a lot.


This is turning into a bitch fest, and while I'm definitely frustrated with blogging, I'm strangely satisfied as well. I've hit every goal I've ever wanted to with blogging. I've made friends. I've been paid. I've attended BlogPaws as a sponsored blogger. I've gotten a hell of a lot smarter. I made an impact.
My photography is now something I'm proud of, and petty as it may sound, I can look at some of the photos I admired when I first started out, and I now know I can do it better. #SorryNotSorry
Even Nola's nails have hit my goal, haha.




So...that's where I am now. I need a break. Right now, I'm aiming to take the month of May off from blogging. I may look into rebranding when I get back, and I'll likely pull back to one or two posts a week, because I don't want to lose my original core blog goal, which is tracking Miss Nola's life and adventures.
In the mean time, feel free to follow us on social media, especially on Instagram here.



I thank you all for reading, and for sticking with us.

- Amanda

Bye for now!



9 comments:

  1. I totally understand--but we'll miss reading about Nola's adventures (thank goodness for Instagram!). Hope the break is rejuvenating for you. For the entire last year, I felt like I was just kind of muddling through posts, too, and didn't write anything I loved--but now that I'm just focusing on the day-to-day with Bar and Rye again, it's become enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it! I feel the same way and I don't even try to write anything meaningful! Blogging just feels forced. It gets increasingly difficult to bring something new to the posts, even on a photographic level. I also think that blogging as a whole is starting to fade. Blogs I once loved are gone, others rarely post. It could be that blogging is soon becoming a thing of the past, except for the high-end, well-paid blogs. I'm going to keep muddling through because my dogs are getting old and I will regret not chronicling their last years. But it sure isn't going to be easy or often! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I copy this and put it on my blog? BOL we get it!! See you on Instagram
    Lily & Edward and mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love an wooooos mates, peace and prosperity wherever you go,

    NukNuk & family

    ReplyDelete
  5. We found woo on instagram:)

    Nuk & Timber

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean and I'm not near the serious blogger that you are! I have 3 blogs that I enjoy, but lately can't seem to make myself sit down and prepare posts. I do hope you will keep posting pictures about where you go and the adventures of Nola - I love seeing her on the beach! Enjoy your R&R!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get it! I've been feeling the same way. Plus, since I started working at a training facility, it's harder from me to write training type posts and/or read other blogs with "training advice" from people who don't actually know what they are doing. My laptop breaking was sort of a blessing in disguise because I too am feeling burnt out and have been for a while. I have a few last promotions I **HAVE** to do (sigh...) and then I will be taking a break from reviews, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about review posts. Some of them can be fun, but a lot of the time, it is just same ol, same ol. I've been totally burned out with blogging before, and then the obligation to write posts can just feel like too much. I write my blog for fun, and sometimes it ends up not really being fun. I did end up getting more motivated by doing the hiking/beach goals posts this year, posting once a month with the hikes, beaches, lakes, etc, that we've visited in the past month. It has motivated me to get out to more places, take pictures while there, and have fun posting the blog post. I'm still struggling to get into the jive of blogging with other posts though, and like you said, lack of engagement despite high numbers (though I suspect you have much higher numbers than I do).

    I hope blogging is something you end up missing and deciding to come back and continue with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy does Ma get that! Sometimes, Ma has nothing. okays, lots of times Ma has nothing! BOL Butts, Ma has never focused my bloggie on telling anything meaningful, just my beautiful mug! ☺ I will miss you guys, butts totally understand. come back and visit often, and I will be thinking of you guys lots! have lots of fun, and take lots of photos
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!