Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Introvert and The Eye-catching Dog

Hey, everyone!



Dachshunds are a wildly popular breed, but you'd think they were rare as a snowball in hell with the amount of attention Miss Nola garners when out and about. This was especially true during our little beach vacation last week!
I'm not sure if it's just because of her breed or because people think she's unusually small (which she's not - she's 9-9.5lb, but everywhere we go it's "is she a puppy?" or "she's so little!"), or a combination of both, but I can't take her places without people wanting to talk to her, talk to me about her, or pet her.




And I...hate it. I'm as introverted as they come, and interacting with people outside my very small circle is just exhausting to me. I can do it, and it's not a fear of interacting with strangers or anything like that. I just genuinely dislike other people 99% of the time, haha. People always want to pet Nola, and that drives me mad.




This is what a typical walk for us looks like:

Nola and I walking, with a person coming towards us with a giddy smile on their face.

Oh no. Please don't come over here.

Carefully avoids eye contact, shifts Nola to whichever side person isn't walking towards.

Don't invite them to interact. Hope they can read body language and move on.

Person comes closer, oblivious to the "go away" vibes heading their way.

Nooooo. Go the other way. Come on, run along now. 


"Awww, a Doxie! I/my mother/friend/handyman had one. Can I say hi?!"

Fuucccck. 

Pastes stiff smile on and looks up.

"Sure."


Haha, they can't see us from back here!




Every. Single. Time.

Tell me I'm not the only one!


- Dachshund Mommy 





13 comments:

  1. Bailey loved people so it wasn't as bad because he genuinely enjoyed being the center of attention. So while it wasn't my thing it was his. Sadly for Katy she's is more introverted like me and would prefer to choose her interactions. However, there is something about a Shelties that seems to draw people like a magnet and you have to control the interactions to keep her from being overwhelmed.

    I was talking to a Sheltie breeder and she has the same issue in public people don't get personal space issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny. You sound exactly like mom
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew I had a clone until now, LOL.
    The exact same thing happens with 'cute' chihuahuas.
    I saw the best t shirt the other day which read:-

    Introverts of the world unite!
    We're here, we're uncomfortable
    and we want to go home!

    Best t shirt ever :D
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to find this for my niece for Christmas. She loaned me an amazing book that explained the issue so I finally understood. I'd love to thank her.

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel but I think Nola will help you deal with people bette

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really depends on my mood whether it bothers me or not. Cardigans can really pull in the crowds. Sometimes we get swamped by groups of people who want to take pictures of my dogs. I think that is just plain weird. When we go to a busy event, I can watch as my dogs go from enjoying the attention to trying to avoid it. Once that starts, I fend off the crowds so my dogs are not uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BOL you sound like our Mom. She always freezes when someone starts approaching us when we are on our walkies!!

    xoxo,
    Matt (& Matilda)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Millie & Walter wish they had your problems. We don't mind interacting with people on our walks and Millie does her best to BEG everyone to pet her. Unfortunately a 50 lb. black dog does not invite much interaction despite how much she wiggles her tush and wags her tail. Walter just wants to meet everyone and give them kisses. Sadly we rarely have people approach us and I often feel bad for the pups.

    I think the fact that Nola is small and so well behaved (not barkie and pulling on the leash) makes people more likely to want to interact with both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel! Poor Duke is super shy and would prefer that people don't notice him. Relic LOVES people, so they'll pet him & then try to pet Duke as he's trying to hide behind me. I'll say "he's scared, please give him some space" & they'll STILL try to pet him! WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO ONE approaches a rottweiler unless they know what goofballs the breed are. Maybe Nola needs a big black and tan friend!! Butt...she IS pretty damned cute. I'd probably want to say hi to her. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love talking to people. "-) So I'm glad when people stop us, unless it's kids. I don't want kids touching my dogs.

    But I've actually gotten friendly with people in my neighborhood because of my dogs. Sampson actually demands that people acknowledge him. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm introverted, autistic, and anxious af but those situations mostly only bother me because my dog is very fearful and reactive towards strangers. People will try to pet her without asking. Or sometimes they'll ask, and then argue with me or ignore my answer!

    "Can I pet your dog"
    "No, she bites"
    *Still tries to pet my dog.*

    I used to say, "No, she's nervous around strangers" but that only seemed to encourage the people who think they have a "way" with animals -__-

    On the other hand, when I was in college we weren't allowed to have pets in the dorms so I always wanted to ask to pet the dogs I saw downtown- but I was always too shy to ask. It was really hard not being able to have a dog around.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!