Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Giant Surprise


I've been keeping very quiet about a little (or not so little...;)) surprise the past two weeks and a half weeks, but I couldn't wait any longer to share!

This is Layla.




She's an 11 week old brindle Mastiff ("English", though just Mastiff is the correct term). She is the absolute perfect addition to my little family, and I could not be more happy with her.





She is incredibly loving, gentle, and easy going. She's quite eager to please, especially for this breed, and has fallen into life here with perfect ease in the two weeks we've had her. She's been well accepted by all, too! She's just so freakin' sweet, I can't handle it.
Getting a picture of Pike with his ears up without using a toy is impossible, and since the girls prefer food over toys, he's the odd man out.
And yes, he always looks that bat shit crazy, haha.
Nola, camera ham as always. 



Many of you know that this is the breed I grew up with (and my parents still have one now!), and they're just as incredible as I remember. And you want to talk about easiest puppy ever? This girl, right here. Sleeps until 8:00-8:30am right off the bat, doesn't wake up at all at night. Not at all mouthy, very good about "calm down time", and potty training has been going great.





She's currently 23lbs and 5oz at 11 weeks and 2 days old, and 15" tall. I'm doing bi-weekly growth pictures, so I'll share 10 week's below and 12 week's next week.
She has mastered sitting on cue, as well as sitting for attention instead of jumping or pawing at people. She's learned her name, she's almost got "down" figured out, and she has a very solid foundation going for her recall and loose leash walking. She's had a couple bouts of fussy "tantrums" where she just gets too overstimulated, which is usually only when she's tired or we've done a lot that day, but sticking her in the crate calms her right down.





I am attempting to stick with weekly stacked shots, though....and I need to get week 11's stack done. Oops. I suck with these kinds of things, haha.
She's a self stacker, which is very, very helpful!

9 weeks

10 weeks...and this was the day she discovered that she could now reach Salem's cat food bowl, and ate it all. Cat food belly, the little porker. 



Welcome, baby Layla!



*Layla is a choice I've made after much deliberation. The decision isn't open for discussion. 
Be like Thumper
 photo tumblr_lrlnd9NKx61qa4w2fo1_500_zpsrc4cgt4m.gif

20 comments:

  1. What a sweet puppy! I can't wait to see more of miss Layla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a good match. Can't imagine what the discussion would be, but people can be surprisingly ignorant sometimes.

    Best wishes for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O this warms my cotton pickin heart.
    My late husband and I had a Mastiff, best dog ever.
    Congrats, to you enjoy.
    xo Linda and Astro

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie pie! I'm glad she's fitting into your family so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, she looks and sounds like an angel!
    A very warm welcome to Blogville Layla.
    I just hope my little brindle bundle of joy behaves so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's gorgeous. I love the English Mastiffs. I'm very partial to the fawns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so in love, just look at that sweet face. Congrats on the new edition, and it's beyond awesome that she's already sleeping in til 8.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whooas!!! Ok Nola, go online and look how big that monster is going to get. Maybe you can buy a saddle on Amazon. Our friend has a Mastiff and a Frenchie. They are best friends. The Frenchie rules the roost BOL
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gentle giant is what she will be!!! Welcome "not so little" one!! You are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to Blogville, Layla! Can't wait to see how fast you grow! You are a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy Mates and welcome Layla. I, Stella, know all about having a sibling who is, well, shall we say, huge, hehehe. She looks adorable and mum wants to smooch her face. Have fun. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome Layla :) We are really going to enjoy watching you grow :) Milo & Jet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Layla! She looks like such a sweet little (big) puppy! All the best to you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's going to be a lot of fun watching her grow each week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet you, Layla ! What a nice face ! You're such a cute giant puppy ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sure is a GIANT surprise! I didn't see it coming. Very cool - enjoy your very cute puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i don't know how i missed this post! a new puppy AND a new kitty. how exciting. layla is adorable. congrats :)
    wags, bailey unleashed

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many adorable photos! Layla is so sweet looking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!