Monday, August 22, 2016

6 Breeds I Love But Would Never Have

Hey, everyone!


I love purebreds. I love the set characteristic, the set temperament (roughly speaking - there's always a wild card, like hugely independent mini Aussie Pike or bidible and low-ish prey drive Nola), the history behind them. There are so many breeds I admire, and I have a backlog of "maybe someday" breeds, as well as a tiny list of "absolutely someday" breeds.

However, there are a lot of breeds I love, but would never own for one reason or another. I thought this would be a fun topic, so tell me your breeds in the comments below!

*Pictures are from Google Images, and are not mine


6. Great Dane



A well bred adult Dane is breathtaking to watch, and their personality is sweet as can be. I've enjoyed every Dane I've ever met, and they're amongst my favorite large and giant sized dog.
However, I can say with 99% certainty that I won't ever have one. Only one giant breed will do for me, and I can't see myself straying from them.






5. Border Collie



This one is the least certain on the list, but after a good bit of research and talking with BC owners, I think they're a bit too...spooky and soft for me. If or when I go the herder route, it will be with something more along the lines of an Australian Cattle Dog, Kelpie, ect. 


4. Staffordshire Bull Terrier



Staffordshires are such amazing little dogs, and I love nearly every thing about them. However, I know my wants and limits, and the high likelihood of dog aggression with this breed is not something I'm willing to gamble on. 





3. Saluki 


One of the most stunning breeds, and one of the oldest! Their sheer elegance and beauty enchant me, but I'll always have a small (aka, prey sized) dog, and the thinness of sighthound skin squicks me out, marking Salukis as a "never" breed.





2. French Bulldog


Following up one of the most beautiful breeds with one of the cutest! Frenchies are wildly popular (especially on Instagram!), and with good reason. Their sweet, smushy faces and jovial personalities make them delightful companions, and their small but sturdy size makes them an appealing city dog.
That short, brachycephalic head is what turns me off, cute as it may be. I'm not willing to toy with breathing problems in a breed. The one above actually has a decent muzzle length for the breed, though!



1. Vizsla


A Vizsla would actually be a good fit for me and the crew (plus, how can you not love a dog with constant resting bitch face?), but one entirely shallow reason is keeping them on the never list: I do not like self colored noses on a red dog. I want black nose and eye rims. They look washed out to me. 
#YesI'mThatShallow





What about you? What breeds do you enjoy, but will probably never have?



SaveSaveSaveSave

13 comments:

  1. Hey!! What do you mean no Frenchies! Just cause we cost mom an arm and a leg. We would not want a Lab, Border Collie, Standard Poodle or a Golden Retriever
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgosh any breed I love I would have!! Lol. I never thought I'd love pugs until I met my husband tho. And the rest is history!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walk my next door neighbours Border Collie and I'm pretty sure he would walk another 50 miles if I was willing, lol.
    Salukis are beautiful dogs but as you say, anyone with a small dog would not be willing to risk it.
    Looking forward to Cricket arriving, Elliot will be a lot happier once he gets used to her.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally have a list like this too (and Jack Russells would have been on it 6 months ago, and look where I am now, with a JRT curled up on my lap as I type).

    I do want to mention, Staffordshire Bull Terriers actually have a pretty low incidence of dog aggression. Of the 7 that I know personally, one is slightly dog reactive, and that is it. As opposed to the APBT, who does have a higher chance of dog aggression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all wonderful breeds, but they require lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to never say never but there are definitely breeds I would not own.

    I would not own any giant breeds because of their short lifespans and because bloat is so common.

    Sight hounds with their thin skin does freak me out as well. I really want a whippet but I've seen horrible injuries and I'm scared it would happen to me. I'm not opposed to a cross-bred one though! Borderwhips are something I would totally consider owning.

    Dogs who require a significant amount of grooming, haircuts, etc are off my list completely and always will be. After grooming for 13 years, I don't want to ever have to do anything besides a quick wash and brush out of my own dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun and interesting post! I happen to like mutts - excuse me, All-American dogs (who came up with that?) - but I do get the appeal of well-bred purebreds too. I've occasionally looked longingly at Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, thinking maybe someday. It's fun to imagine different ones isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD, Great Danes are one of Ma's favs!!! Butts, she will not own a dog she can't lift! It's a thing. Can you imagine your dog being sick or injured and not being able to physically get them to the vet? That's Ma's only reason. Border collies are smartie pants and probably could out think Ma, so she's not willing to risk that! BOL (shhhhh...I do it on a regular basis, so not such a far out concept...☺)
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. after having a doxie, i never wanted another dog that shed so i got a poodle. after him, i went back to a doxie mix and now a chihuahua, both shedders. oh well. never say never.
    wags, bailey unleashed

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine having something that wasn't at least a little bit border collie ;) But they definitely require you to be comfortable with a little bit (ok, maybe a lot) of crazy! When I see the pure bred ones in agility classes, I'm in such awe that I can't wait to have one myself! (I'm also a super nerd and would have stayed in school forever if you didn't eventually have to pay back student loans, so really smart dogs just fascinate me on that level, too.) I would be least likely to get a giant breed that's really slobbery--I'm just not into dealing with daily slime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think American Staffordshire "Bull" Terriers often have the word "aggression" behind their name. It's a complete myth and it's all because of the media. Most people don't realize that pit bulls were actually originally nanny dogs back in the 1880s. They are amazing family dogs. Wynston loves Great Danes so I hope to adopt one some day! I will also adopt a pit bull - I've been keeping my eye out for the perfect one at our local shelter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the American Staffordshire Bull Terriers. One of my favorite breeds of dogs, next to the Doberman, English Mastiff, Miniature Schnauzer, Standard Schnauzer, St. Bernard, Samoyed, Dalmation (Lou Dog!) etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For me - a Saluki too, Afghan hound, West Siberian Laika. I also love Danes, but don't love the fact that their average lifespan is about 8 years.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!