Monday, July 18, 2016

A Salem Update: Will I Fail?

Hey, guys!


It's time for an update on little Salem, our foster kitten. She's around...oh, 9 or 10 weeks old or so now? Her personality has exploded in the past two weeks, and she's a little blast.



She's grown so much since that tiny, half starved bottle baby, but is still a pretty small kitten. Her bone structure is light and fine, too, with tiny paws and a thin body. She's so dainty and little! She's around 2.5lbs, and is perfectly healthy, just a little small.
Her markings are darkening more and more every day! You can really see the difference between these two photos, and in real life you can see the faintest stripes along her legs and cheeks. She's turning into a gorgeous cat!





Salem is such a dog-like cat. She's social, cuddly, friendly, easy going, and smart. She loves kids, and she really loves dogs, haha. She loves to snuggle with Nola, and often attempts to catch Nola's wagging tail. It's the cutest thing to watch them together.
One thing Salem does that's both endearing and a tad annoying is just how underfoot she is, especially in the kitchen. You can't take a step without tripping over her! She wants to be right behind you, on top of your feet, or between your feet at all times. She loves to wait and see if you'll drop something, and then pounce on it with fervor. She is exactly like a dog when it comes to food! She wants all the food, all the time, and isn't picky at all. Cheerios are a favorite of hers. ;)
She eats wet food morning and evening, and currently has dry food down all night. She loves both, but wet is definitely her preference.




She's very good with the litter box, and hasn't had any trouble with the few different litters I've bought. For any cat friends, do you have a favorite litter? Something that is not dusty, and controls odors well!

Speaking of odors, the litter box is my least favorite thing about cats. Even as clean as I keep it, and as neat as Salem is, it's still there and it's still a litter box and the idea of it is rank.
One thing that has really helped me handle the box is Fresh Wave products, the all natural odor eliminators, available at Target. The gel in particular has been a godsend! I place it next to the litter box, and it helps hugely. It doesn't smell like it masks any odor, but instead it seems to actually remove them. That's so rare to me!




Salem is just the happiest cat. She wants to loved on and held whenever possible, and if you sit down you're opening yourself up for an ambush of cuddles. She's always purring, and always glad to see you. Very much a cat-dog!


Everyone wants to know if she's going to be a foster failure, and the answer is...I'm not sure, but maybe. Possibly. It could happen, easily. :P
I really, really like her, and I'm the farthest thing from a cat person. There's been some interest in her, and to be honest I don't like how sad that makes me feel. There's some big things brewing for us, and I have to consider that before I make my choice, but...we'll see. ;)

How cute is this?



- Dachshund Mommy







14 comments:

  1. She is adorable! I'm so jealous...I WANT THIS LITTLE GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of them sleeping together is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom Kim here - I was getting ready to ask how Nola was dealing with a kitty sister - I think that last picture pretty well sums it up. That is how Lady Shasta is with kitties - she loves her spa days because she gets to go be with their kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! That last photo is adorable! Salem is blessed to have such a good foster mommy. You'll do the best thing for Salem, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear a review on that product - I've been looking at for a while now and have wondered how well it works. I'll have to try some!

    ...and Salem is adorable!

    Monty, Harlow and Ramble

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little girl ! We use CatSense, a Canadian litter that's available in Switzerland too, and we love it (and so does Claire) : good odor control, and clumps very fast. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salem is so cute! I'm rooting for her to turn you into a cat person. :D

    We use Arm & Hammer clump and seal. I like it a lot. There's a lot of shitty litter out there that make the litterbox a pain in the ass. Try to avoid the cheap ones and store brand ones. World's Best Cat litter is also amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are precious little one. And Nola you are being such a big sis
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's gorgeous - may turn out to look like my sweet little Mitzie! I have a covered litter box that helps to keep down the odor. I keep a washable rug under it to absorb some of the litter that walks out of the box. Still, it is messy sometimes. I recommend a clumping litter. Fresh Step is good. Right now I'm using Tidy Cats lightweight. I think the wet food produces toxic poo sometimes. Love the picture of the two curled up together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. salem is a beauty! and that final picture is beyond adorable.
    wags, bailey unleashed

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is a striking cat. beautiful. I know I am not supposed to like Tidy Cats, but I have found nothing that competes with their 24/7 cat litter, and I have tried tons of litters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It's pricy but it makes my boy with bladder issues more likely to use his box--they have other formulas, too, including a low dust one, but I haven't tried any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's so beautiful. Keep her haha. We use Simply Right (SAM's Club brand) Scoopable cat litter and sometimes World's Best. The WBCL lavander reeks. I like the forest scent or multi cat. WBCL lasts a while, as does the SAM's Club brand. WBCL is expensive though.


    ^^^^^ I've been wanting to try Dr. Elsey's litters. He is a vet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!