Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Dog Mom Files: I Don't Schedule Anything

Hey, everyone!


I've been wanting to share a little more on my "dog parenting" style lately, and figured what better way to do that than a cute mini series! These will be fairly sporadic (you know me....), but I wanted to have a section where we could all talk about the ways we raise and guide our pups. Let's jump right in!


Whatever you do, always make time to stop and smell the flowers!


Today's topic is all about schedules. Some are diligent about feeding, walking, playing, ect at a specific time every day, while others are more of a "we'll get there...eventually" mentality. Neither approach is wrong, and you have to do what works best for your pets and your lifestyle!


Personally, I don't follow a schedule for my dogs. At all. My work time is all over, not to mention  I'm too lazy to be strict about things, haha. Everyone gets what they need, it's just a matter of when. I will say that this is only once the dogs are reliably potty trained. Until then, the precision of their schedule would make any drill sergeant weep with envy.

They'll eat anywhere between 6am and 2pm. We walk sometime in the morning (usually, though lately it's just getting way too hot), and Nola and I walk at night. We play whenever the mood strikes, and the same goes for training. It's time to start winding down at about 8:30pm, though bedtime is anywhere from 10pm to 2am. As for potty breaks, it's after eating and right before bed without fail. Otherwise, I just watch the cues. Nola goes to the door and taps it to be let out, and if I don't hear here, she'll come find me and lead me over to the door. Quite convenient, let me tell you!

The biggest benefit of this, in my experience at least, is my dogs are able to go with the flow more. Not just in our home, but I firmly believe that this kind of life has helped Nola be able to do anything and take it in stride. They aren't stressed if certain times aren't met, because they aren't codependent on a certain expectations. This is incredible helpful when the time changes, too! People will always go on Facebook and bemoan that Fido is up an hour earlier begging for food, and Nola's over here with Que Sera Sera as her soundtrack.

"Whatever will be, will be...the future's not ours to see...que sera sera!"


What about you? How do you manage your pup's time?

- Dachshund Mommy


13 comments:

  1. My mom takes that same attitude - no set schedules here! Honestly though she would try a set schedule, at least for when dinner time occurs...but dad is much more lax. BOL Well, it works for us so...👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walter is a canine alarm clock. I would be happy to ignore him but my husband always gives in so our schedule revolves around Walter's stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like us but we are definitely on a food schedule or else we will be sure to remind her
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris isn't on a schedule either. He usually gets two half hour walks a day with me, I play with him whenever, and he eats whenever I wake up or whenever we have dinner. We're the flexible type, and Chris couldn't care less!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you. I don't like strict feeding times and such. I figure it is less stressful for the dogs when changes have to happen if they don't have a strict schedule already. Stuff like daylight savings time doesn't throw them off at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are the same way here, pretty easy going. Bailey just goes with the flow. However, when I have my grand-dog here, she is on a food schedule and if I'm 5 minutes late, she'll let me know!
    wags, bailey unleashed

    ReplyDelete
  7. We tend to go with the flow too except for River's 10PM treat bone. She gets very upset if it isn't served to her in time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only do schedules for their food. Other than that, it's go with the flow too! They nap a lot. So do I lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do not have scheduled for eating or running. We dingo out in the mornings but sometimes it's 6 and sometimes it's 9. Cocoa asks to go potty and brings her toys when she wants to play. Relaxed parenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are definitely a go with the flow household here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only regimented thing in my house is weekday breakfast. I like to get them fed before I shower, so they eat breakfast at 6 am on weekdays. Other than that, it is very go with the flow here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since my husband and I are both home all day, we are pretty flexible too. Bentley insists on eating breakfast before 10:00. He is convinced that starvation begins at 10:05 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have any set schedule with my dog either. Everyone always says that dogs need predictable schedules to be happy/balanced/whatever, but ime, that just makes them anxious when things come up and the schedule isn't kept to. It's also really annoying to me when dogs start whining or staring at you for dinner because they're used to getting it at a certain time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!