Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Nola International: The Explanation

Hey, everyone!

If you haven't seen yesterday's post, go check it out first!

Okay, so this post is all about our upcoming trip to Europe. I'll answer the questions y'all have (including a few from Instagram), explain our rough itinerary, and share what I've done so far to prepare. Let's get right to it!


Questions

The most frequent questions were if we are moving to Europe, and if not, if we're still planning on moving out of Florida. To answer the first: no, we aren't moving there. Unfortunately! Maybe someday....
As to the second: yes, we'll still be moving out of Florida eventually.

A few people were curious as to the process of taking Nola overseas, and it's surprisingly straightforward*. To make a long story short, your dog needs:

  • An ISO compatible microchip (a tattoo is not longer acceptable)
  • A rabies vaccine administered after the chip is inserted, given no sooner than 21 days before departure 
  • A Veterinary Certificate issued by your vet and endorsed by your local APHIS/USDA office 
  • Once there, a vet in the country you arrive in must issue an EU pet passport. This allows your pet to travel within the EU.
*This is US based information for traveling to Europe with an adult dog, and some places require additional measures (like deworming 1-5 days prior to arrival), like the UK. Always check the embassy for the countries you're going to, and do your research!

This next two weren't asked, but I figured I'd answer anyway. The other dogs are staying with an in-home pet sitter, one we know well and is competent. 
Yes, I'll be blogging throughout it! I'm going to try to stick to my 6 days a week schedule, but I can't promise that. However, I'll share most everything with you all!



The Basic Itinerary


To be perfectly honest, I don't have a set itinerary. This is a remarkable journey, and I don't want it crammed into a checklist. That said, there's a few for sure places, some probably places, and a few maybe places. 
We will, for certain, visit France and Italy. We'll most likely make Italy our home base, spending only a week or so at a time elsewhere before returning. For France, we'll be seeing Paris without a doubt. Not sure what else yet! 
We'll probably see Scotland, Switzerland, and Ireland. 
We may or may not go into Spain, Belgium, Austria, Croatia, Portugal or Greece. 

I may do a few giveaways where you guys suggest where we should go and why. If we pick it, you'll win...something. ;)




We'll be embarking on this trip the first part of October, and coming home in early January of 2017.

I have been scouring blogs like Dog JauntGigi Griffis, and my personal favorite, Montecristo Travels. All three are fantastic for information and advice on international travel with a small dog, and have been a huge help.

I'm going to be doing weekly or bi-monthly posts as we progress, how I'm preparing Nola, all that good stuff. Looking forward to sharing it all with you!

- Dachshund Nola

13 comments:

  1. This is going to be fun to read along and see your adventures! Very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! I never knew it was so "easy" (I know that's a relative term :-)) to travel to Europe with dogs! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting we can't stand it!!! Are the rules and regulations the same crossing the border into other countries? Or do you need additional paperwork etc. where are you staying? AirBNB might have some good and inexpensive options
    Love & Peas,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be awesome!! Excited to follow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so exciting. We can't wait to see pictures of your in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! I'm very happy for you both! You're going to have the best time ever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This trip sounds so amazing! I bet you're so excited! I wish I could shrink Phoenix and come with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you considered visiting Poland?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way your foreshadowed your big trip. And it sounds wonderful.

    Once you see how easy it is to travel with Nola since so many places (and public transportation) is pet friendly, you'll hate coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that sounds like a pawtastic trip! We are so jelly ;)

    xoxo,
    Matt & Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, that's so awesome. There are so many wonderful things to see in Europe and the UK, I can't wait for you to share them all with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is going to be an amazing adventure. Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!