Monday, May 30, 2016

Kitten Season: We're Fostering!

Hey, everyone!

I don't know about where you all are, but here in North Florida, it's kitten season. The shelters and rescues are overcapacity with cats, especially kittens 4 months and under. Every other Craigslist ad is "free kittens"; the same holds true for local Facebook groups. People are dropping cats everywhere, and it's incredibly sad.

We're currently fostering a 4-ish week old abandoned kitten. She's tiny, thin, and was infested with fleas (I have never in my life seen so many fleas on one animal), but is okay aside from being malnourished. Her name is Salem. She's very quiet and placid, but is starting to perk up. She likes to play with my hair, and is very snuggly and sweet. Nola is oscillating between frantic mothering, and wanting to play with her, in between adorable bouts of cuddling.




Trying to give a little size reference; here she is next to my iPhone 6.







She's still being bottle fed a few times a day, but is also eating a wet food/milk replacer mix and using a litter box. I am not a cat person, but I'm a little in love with this tiny baby!



- Dachshund Mommy

13 comments:

  1. She's so cute! Salem is the perfect name for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious she is, and how wonderful that she's found safety and someone to care for her! We foster for the SPCA and know all about kitten season. Right now, we've got a 1-ish year old keeping us on our toes! All the best for Salem, and I hope you've had a good Memorial Day weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet. I am happy she is in a good home with you all. It is so sad that there are so many. Little Salem is getting lots of love and care though so that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty little girl!! Thanks so much for fostering, it really does save lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived in Florida I would come get her! She looks just like my Baxter and Mitzi did when I got them! We're having the same problem here, the kittens are prolific. People don't realize that cats breed like rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww little Salem is so cute...and so itty bitty! Sad to hear about 'kitten season'. THIS is why it's so important to spay and neuter. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMD!!! OMC!!!! What a cutie patooootie!!!! I am so happy to hear that you are taking care of her Nola...um, I mean Nola's Moms...hehehe
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm not really a cat person either, but this little critter is adorable! thank you for fostering her.
    wags, bailey unleashed

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD, Salem is gorgeous!! She's so tiny, what a little sweetie. Bless you & Nola for fostering her and showing her what it feels like to be loved. Kitten season is heartbreaking, so many kittens without a home. Sadly, it will soon be followed by puppy season as well. I kinda hope Salem will end up a "foster failure" and you'll keep her! No better home could be found, I'm sure (- :
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my dawg, so sweet
    Snorts
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is a wee little thing. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!