Tuesday, February 23, 2016

This and That: Moving and Farms and Dreams, Oh My!

Hey, everyone!


Since I'm damn near fresh out of post ideas at the moment (okay, so I have ideas; I'm just too lazy to write out anything structured right now), this is just a hodgepodge of thoughts and future plans, things like that. May be a bit ramble-y, and it's not too terribly dog related!



We'll be moving as soon as possible, hopefully within a year or so! Somewhere in the mountains, either north Georgia or North Carolina most likely. This is one of the reasons the Italy getaway I've talked a few times about has been put on hold. Adulting sucks sometimes.
I'm so ready to be out of Florida. It's a beautiful state and there's definitely some major benefits here (those blue skies and white beaches....), but the heat has become too much. It's just too hot to do anything outside from around mid-March or early April to late October. As someone who'd rather be outdoors than in, Florida no longer works for me. Where we are right now is also in a very poor, very uneducated part of the state, with nothing much to do and no market for what I would like to do. Everything is undervalued here, and a move will be amazing. I've lived in Florida for nearly my whole life, and I'm so excited for a change!



The past few months I've been seriously looking at what I want to do with my life, in a long term way. What will make me happy? What is something that fits me? What will allow me to be my own boss? I've toyed with more ideas than I can count, and I wasn't finding anything that I would be excited to do for the vast majority of the time. I was not - and am not - willing to settle for a longterm job I don't love. Luckily, I've found what I'm looking for.
That brings me to my next and most exciting thought today. When I move, I want to have a little farm. I want to produce most of what I eat, have a large chunk of my own land, breed and raise rare and/or heritage breed livestock, with the eventual goal of having that be my main "job" (I'll more than likely have side jobs as well). It will take a lot of time, money, and energy, but I'm excited for the challenge. 
This occupation ticks all my boxes: lots of outdoor time, physically and mentally challenging, lots of variation, taps into my interest of genetics and breeding, ect. I can't wait!

I've been researching all different types of farming and animal husbandry, and have been narrowing down exactly what it is I want to be working with. 
As I've said, I want to work with rare and/or heritage breeds. I think it is incredibly important to preserve these old, endangered breeds that are being passed over in favor of more commercially bred, less genetically diverse breeds and crossbreeds. The heritage breeds are living, breathing history, and that completely fascinates me. They were developed with such specific needs in mind, and watching the way they conform to those old standards is just incredible. Their health and hardiness is quite something, too.

I'd like to focus mostly on fiber animals such as sheep (Shetland, possibly), alpacas, and angora rabbits. I'm also looking at small dairy (Nigerian Dwarves) and meat (Fainting Goats) breeds of goats, as well as miniature cows (Gallowy or Scottish Highland), and chickens. Purebred, registered, quality multi-purpose animals is my goal.


I'm hoping to acquire some of these things this year; small animals that are quicker to mature and easier to transport such as chickens, rabbits and goats or sheep. Since the next few months are big months for sheep and goat births, hopefully I'll be able to have a few soon!


Well, that's kind of it for this little ramble! I hope that wasn't too terribly boring for you all. ;)




- Dachshund Mommy

18 comments:

  1. You seem like an awesome person and very intelligent. With a well thought out plan as you have we know you will be successful in whatever you set out to do. Follow those dreams. Nola what do you think about all this?
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! You've got to do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with all your goals, that sounds like a perfect life to me!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big moves are always exciting and scary! Good for you for wanting to take on farming. I totally respect farmers and know it is one of the last things I would ever want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should just make a big move and head to the PNW. Oregon has a lot of small, sustainable farms, and it is a huge part of the culture in a lot of areas here. Farmer's markets, small local restaurants who use local ingredients from small, local farms are popular and a big draw. And people are willing to pay more for local. I'm not familiar with Georgia and the Carolinas, but I've never heard anything about sustainability and preservation being big there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really exciting and an excellent plan. I agree you have to do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. North Carolina is absolutely gorgeous!! I would vote for NC over GA any day, i've visited both and loved NC more.
    I love your draw towards heritage breeds, I need to do more research on that subject. :-)
    We're fixing to move too, pretty soon the blog will be all about that crazy adventure. We're thinking of building our own home which should be entertaining, as opposed to buying because we aren't finding anything that we want. On a good note our house which we are fixing to sell should give us a nice chunk of equity to help with our building plan. I want property too, and chickens. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a big dream for Vince! He wants us to start our own farm, too! He's also looking at heritage breeds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I certainly understand the heat. Louisiana is ridiculous and my dream is to move to Colorado but I don't tolerate freezing weather very well either due to arthritis. We are also expecting our first grandchild in April and I can't bear the thought of not seeing her grow up. Seriously, if you get fainting goats, I will insist on constant videos. They crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you just wrote it down, that gives you something to check back on and mold as your life continues to unfold.

    My goal is probably SC and I'm hoping it's in the next five years. What I will do, I have no clue, but I'll be out of this freaking state. :-)

    I wanted a goat too (Mr. Tumnus)but the Hubs said no. WTF Hubs? Do you realize you won't have to work in the yard anymore? But I could totally see Delilah chasing a goat and getting her ass butted. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting for you and your new adventure!! It is funny how people think Florida is perfect but we do not think about how summer is so hot you can not go outside. We get too cold we can not go outside so either way your stuck inside!! I love to be outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What exciting plans. I always lamented about the rain here in Seattle. I stopped whining so much once I became a blogger though. I realized that there are part of the country where you can't be active outside for big parts of the year due to extreme heat or cold. Yes, we may get wet here, but that is not a "stopper" unless you let it be. The temps here range from an average of 40 - 80 (85 now because of global warming) all year round. The typical temps here are 50-65, which is perfect for dog walking.

    On a side note, my Mom raised Angora rabbits when I was a kid. I helped her out a lot. I still have one of the hats she made out of the wool/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is exciting news for sure! I can relate to the heat thing, we've been living in Phoenix for 9 years. The heat is brutal & tough to take 4 months out of the year. Having acreage & breeding sounds really interesting and challenging.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is exciting news for sure! I can relate to the heat thing, we've been living in Phoenix for 9 years. The heat is brutal & tough to take 4 months out of the year. Having acreage & breeding sounds really interesting and challenging.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh - wow - this sounds so exciting!! I live in east TN and often travel to NC and GA for agility trials and I just love those areas!! It still gets hot but not for too long and I think the winters are great (I'm from WI, so anyplace that isn't covered in snow and below zero for months at a time qualifies as great to me :)). The breeder our Klee Kai came from has Nigerian Dwarves - they are so cute and they cut the grass and weed for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you going to raise farm animals for meat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm super excited for you! My dad and stepmom live in North Carolina, have been there for a little over a year. They love it, and chose it after vacationing there every year for 20+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know this post was written a long while ago but this is so exciting! I too have Belted Galloway cows, Nigerian Dwarf Goats and wayyyyyyy to many chickens, rabbits and a Llama! Let me just say that although Llamas are awesome, you will need to spend a ton of time socializing or else they will be just plain jerks. The same goes for alpacas. I have never tried Belted Galloways for dairy because they are used primarily for meat (which is so good that you might die! It literally is just the best thing you will ever taste!). As for chickens, I recommend having more than not enough. I have a large variety and they seem to work pretty well for me. Sheep are pretty cool but I would recommend trying Icelandic sheep. They are great multi purpose but they tend to be on the skinnier side so you might want to throw in a little more than the usual at feeding time. I show all of my animals and the judge always comments on how skinny the sheep are even though we feed the correct amount. I'll stop rambling now but if you need any help shoot me an email and I will be more than happy to help you out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!