Thursday, January 7, 2016

Spice Up Your Dog's Diet with Primal Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food

Hey, everyone!



Today we're working with Primal Pet Foods. Primal has been dedicated to raw and natural nutrition for dogs and cats since 2001. They offer both frozen and freeze dried foods, as well as raw bones and several kinds of treats.


I feed my dogs a varied diet; though kibble is their main diet (different brand and protein each bag), throughout the week they will get some canned food, dehydrated, or freeze dried. I firmly believe that a varied diet is one of the best things you can do for your dog's health, and it's definitely shown in my gang.

Primal has been the favorite for my dogs' freeze dried meals, by far! This is one that doesn't smell strongly, has a consistent texture, easily absorbs water, and it's been the one I've had to feed the least of.
That helps keeps the cost down, let me tell you. It's actually pretty cost effective for a small dog like Nola! She eats two nuggets a day (or 1 1/2 if it's a heavy training day), so a bag lasts quite a while. A dog like Rule, on the other hand...ah, let's just say it's a good thing I feed it supplementally.



10lb Nola gets two per meal. 45lb Rule gets...12.


I crumble it up so it absorbs quicker. 

Immediately after adding water.

2 minutes of soaking. 


The best thing about freeze dried raw is how little space it takes up. I fed prey model raw when Pike was a puppy, and even for two small dogs, it took up a huge amount of freezer space. The Primal bag fits neatly into the dog closet. Love!



The dogs all love this. I've even broken pieces up and used them as training treats; they're crack value for the pups. While it's not their primary diet, I've yet to see any negative effects from it. They're even more eager for meals than normal, and their poop stays small. Yay. :p



Overall, I highly recommend Primal, and will be buying more when our bags run out.

- Dachshund Mommy

12 comments:

  1. I love Primal freeze-dried and frozen and Ma loves it because it is super healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may have to add this kind of food to mix things up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may add this to B's diet as a little something extra too. Nola's nails look great in the cover pic. I am slowly working on B's nails. They are not as long as they were, but they are not quite Nola short either. B has a rule about having her paws touched, so I can grab onto the nail and file away, but as it gets shorter, it is harder to do that. I will have to work on getting her used to me touching her paws. I can sympathize as I can't stand my feet being touched either - I can't even stand the touch of my own hand on them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must be a bit easier than preparing it yourself.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. those things are quite tasty
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used their frozen raw, and treats, and loved them. I have never tried their freeze-dried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the review. I am always looking for Miss Cocoa to have some snacks that are going to be good for her tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I bet the girls would really like that! They love the Primal treats we've gotten!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEY GURL! What up??!! I've been readin' all abouts your families adventures, and had to check in with ya'll! Lots of loves and {{{hugs}}} abouts your Roxie. I am so very glads everythings worked out, and she is very happy and where she is meant to be.
    Nows, Ma knows abouts this food! She ordered it by mistake, and gives it to me as treaties! It is very very very tasty!!! I loves it! She's never reconstituted it, because I don't eats from a bowl, butts I likes it dry! ☺
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great! We love freeze dried products, they are really very handy!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see the pics. That looks pretty yummy.

    Honey didn't care for the texture of the Honest Kitchen so I'm considering some kind of supplemental freeze dried food as an add on. Without a refrigerator and much storage space, I'm struggling a little bit to get Honey's diet as healthy as it was on land.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!