Monday, October 19, 2015

No Words for This Kind of Horror

Hey, guys.





So Saturday afternoon while out for a drive, I spotted a dog on the side of the road. Very thin, but she moved too quickly for me to see much else. There were granola bars and some cashews in the car, so turned around and drove back to her, thinking of giving her the food. Pulled over, and nearly swallowed my tongue. Here comes this emaciated dog, literally every bone in her body poking out against her skin, covered in scabs, cuts and sores, and nearly completely hairless. I don't even know how she was alive. You'll see in a minute what I'm talking about.

Seeing this dog, a fucking puppy, in this state made red stain the edges of my vision, my stomach churn, and tears prick my eyes. Crouched on the side of the road, hand feeding this walking skeleton, tears running down my faces and how broken she was. I couldn't leave her. I just couldn't. I gathered her bloody body into my arms, put her in the car, and off we went.

Of course, this happened later in the afternoon on the weekend in a small town, so no vets were open. Called Banfield, called the e-vet, and both suggested taking her to animal control. The shelter in this town is tiny and overrun; they'd take one look at this puppy and have her put to sleep. Not on my watch. After getting some advice on how to keep her comfortable until vet offices opened on Monday, she came home.


She had an oatmeal bath to clean her and sooth her skin, ticks pulled off, ears cleaned, she had her nails trimmed as her dew claws were starting to grow back into her legs, and she had a Capstar to get rid of her ranging flea infestation.
She's been getting small, easy to digest meals every hour or two, along with very frequent small amounts of electrolyte water. She's being sprayed down with Vetericyn Wound Spray (if you have any kind of animal, that stuff is worth its weight in gold) four or five times a day, and is getting plenty of rest. She's peeing and pooping normally too, which is good. We'll be going into the vet's today.




I can't even put into words the horrible shape this girl is in. I'm almost certain she's suffering from severe mange (which variety, I'm not sure, so she's not allowed to interact with the dogs, is only being walked in the front yard where the dogs don't go, whatever she touches is being disinfected, she's confined to her crate when not eating, ect), in addition to being totally emaciated. There is no fat, and no muscle on this dog. She's literally skin stretched tight over bones. You can count her bones, even the ones in her face.
She has hair on her tail, patches on her legs, and a few pieces on the rest of her body, but is otherwise bald. Her skin is grey, scabbed and full of sores, sunburnt and rough. She has a lacerated ear, and a sizable puncture of some form in her rump. She was so weak on Saturday she could barely stand, but after food, water, and warmth, she was moving better yesterday afternoon, and was more alert and interested in saying hi and having pets.
She has worms, what smells like a double ear infection (Nola used to get them before her food allergy was figured out, and they have such a distinctive stench), and is more than likely anemic from the sheer amount of fleas and ticks she had on her. Her nails are overgrown, like I said, causing her feet to splay like crazy. Her eyes are discharge-y, too.

She's a young dog, if not a full out puppy. She has enormous paws, and a very puppy face. She has a good bit of adult teeth in, but they're still bright white and show no dullness of age. She's bigger than a beagle, smaller than a lab. Right now she's maybe 20-25lbs. What little fur she does have is the same color as Nola's. She's maybe 8 months, at most?

She is the sweetest dog. She's never once given so much as a calming signal throughout all of this, despite being in serious pain. She's gentle, very friendly, and seems to like kids. Curious and likes to be near people. To have gone through all of this and still be such a gentle soul is astounding.

I don't know how she ended up like this, but I'd put money on her being someone's pet at some point. She can walk on a leash, knows what a food bowl looks like and a treat bag sounds like, has no issues with a crate, isn't phased by sounds of a home (vacuum, TV, ect). She's heartbreaking to watch.


As of right now, she's being called Lucky Puppy (original, I know). My main concern is getting her healthy, and go from there. She could very well wind up staying here, provided she doesn't show any dog issues once she's better.


Warning: While I didn't take any up close photos of her more nasty problem areas, it hurts to look at her. These pictures are upsetting, and just plain stomach turning. 













To give you an idea of just how shrunken she is, this martingale leash was made for 10lb Nola. Granted, it's open more than how she wears it, but I never thought it would fit on a dog this size. 






I plan and budget precisely for my dogs, but this came right out of left field. While I'm assuming full responsibility for all her care, I'm not independently wealthy. I've swallowed my pride, and set up a GoFund me account you can find here. If you'd like to help with Lucky's vet bills, it'd be greatly appreciated. If you can't, or don't want to, that's okay, too. No pressure either way. She's getting help, no matter what. 


We're off to the vet's, and I'll update on what they said tomorrow. If you follow us on Facebook or Instagram, I'll probably post a quick update there once we're done. Wish her luck!







- Dachshund Mommy



26 comments:

  1. Bless you for helping her. Tons of healing vibes and crossed paws for Lucky.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge and Staff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you. Something very similar happened near my old workplace which was near woods. A bulldog with perhaps lab mix and another dog seen over several days, very thin and skittish. Temperatures were soaring and water was scarce. Two ladies on lunch were able to get close enough with food to grab them. One lady, from another facility - took hers to the animal control. That probably didn't end well. The one my coworkers got ate several hamburgers which we snagged and then was gently laid in a vehicle to go to the vet. The vet said she'd likely not have lived another day. Same thing as far as skin condition. All of us pitched in to pay the vet bills and one of my colleagues said he'd adopt her. That dog, also named Lucky - is now a beautiful dog with two little boys to play with a beautiful coat. May this sweet dog have that, thanks to your kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you. Something very similar happened near my old workplace which was near woods. A bulldog with perhaps lab mix and another dog seen over several days, very thin and skittish. Temperatures were soaring and water was scarce. Two ladies on lunch were able to get close enough with food to grab them. One lady, from another facility - took hers to the animal control. That probably didn't end well. The one my coworkers got ate several hamburgers which we snagged and then was gently laid in a vehicle to go to the vet. The vet said she'd likely not have lived another day. Same thing as far as skin condition. All of us pitched in to pay the vet bills and one of my colleagues said he'd adopt her. That dog, also named Lucky - is now a beautiful dog with two little boys to play with a beautiful coat. May this sweet dog have that, thanks to your kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are her angel, and I'm going to focus on that instead of the faction of "humanity" that is responsible for her state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart hurts so much right now for this sweet baby. I have no tolerance for anyone who could do something like this. NONE. I am sending prayers for you both. She is so lucky to have you to take care of her and love her and tell her that people are not all like this and it is going to be ok. I am sending you a huge hug for your love towards this sweet pup. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thank God that it was you that noticed her and took action. Despite what happened to get her in that horrid condition, she is now in good hands and I know you will do what you can for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - people never cease to amaze us - both those that let there animals get to this point and those that will stop and help no matter what. BLESS YOU for stopping and we know Lucky is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just breaks my heart into a million pieces! I saw your post on FB and couldn't believe my eyes. What a sweet face Lucky has and you can see she is thankful for your help. We'll have to see what we can do to help. Please keep us posted.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor little pup, she's a sweetie and Poppy and I applaud you for your help :) Keep us posted on her updates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only got half way through this post before tears streamed down my face. Bless you for finding this poor puppy, taking her in and bringing her to the vet. We are keeping our paws crossed, and looked forward to your update.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is just unbelievable that this poor little dog is a victim of such cruelty and neglect. Bless you for going back for her and taking her in, I am pretty sure she would not have lasted much longer in this condition if you hadn't.
    I would love to contribute something to her vet bills. Look forward to seeing her get well.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor, poor puppy. I could barely look at the pictures. It is a true blessing that this pup was found by you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh!! Poor sweet baby! I'm so glad you found her! :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mom is saying HBO words. We are so happy you found the pup. Why are some humans so cruel. Sending lots of hugs your way. You rock
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad she is getting the help she needs. ...and I'm glad you set up a GoFundMe. I wanted to suggest that this morning on FB. We donated. I hope you will update the amount - I plan to donate again.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynne from Sketching With Dogs told me about Lucky. Unfortunately, I'm not in a financial position to be able to assist. However, I'd like to help out by doing a post about her. May I have the code for the GoFundMe page? My email is everythingisbetterwithsprinkles1 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMD! That poor baby. We're so happy you found her and took it upon yourself to be her saviour. We hope it ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like your post title...there are no words for this.
    Except thank you for taking this poor baby in....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you and thank you again! I saw a similar case on Facebook recently, after recovery the dog turned out to be a beautiful part German Shepherd that made an awesome pet for a family! I hope she's okay, bless you for doing this! Wonder if she's microchipped?

    ReplyDelete
  20. We see mange like that often down here in Curaçao... And I have good news for you — it heals quickly. The most severe case I've seen (and handled, personally) looked very much like Lucky's, and within 6 months this guy (Mighty was his name, also found in impossible shape on the street) was a different dog altogether. Within a year, even the scarring had disappeared. And he was young, too; vets calculated about a year old. So Lucky's got everything going in her favor—especially now that she's found you :)

    I'll be looking for the update tomorrow. (And keeping my fingers crossed you do decide to keep Lucky... I wish I could help you with costs myself, but I will be sharing. Thanks for making the world a better place.)
    Guilie @ Life In Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  21. No words. Just no words.
    You are an angel, and I am sendin' Lucky all the POTP I can muster, and lots of healin' vibes. I will see what mad money I have left, and see if I can help.
    sometimes people are crap. Then, sometimes, like you, people are Angels on earth.
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had to scroll very quickly through those photos. OMG - I hope that the person who neglected and then abandoned her earns a special place in hell.

    Please keep us all posted. She sounds like she has an amazing spirit, and she finally got a piece of very good luck when it was you who found her. Thanks from all us dog lovers out here for saving her.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karma will get the original owner. Karma will come back to you for your good deeds too. Thanks for saving this special dog. She sounds like a beautiful spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These photos brought about a very visceral reaction in me. Bless you. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW... thank you so much for taking care of her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!