Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A Quick Lucky Update + Help Us Name Her!

Hey, guys!




I have a quick, happy Lucky update for you today. :) She's been here 10 days as of today.

Nothing but improvement from Wonder Puppy! Tremors are nearly completely gone (I didn't see any yesterday, but want to see none at all for 2 days straight before I say they're gone), and she's walking at almost full capacity. I'm not sure if her lingering tentativeness with it is due to linger vestibular issues, or if she's just...well, weak from her condition.

Her skin, while still gross, isn't as tight and crusty as it was. She's regaining her elasticity, and her skin isn't as puffy and rough anymore. Her various cuts, scrapes and gashes have almost completely healed. The pressure sore on her hip is still there, as is the laceration on her ear and a mark on her face, but they're all healing up beautifully.

She is slowly gaining weight. She's still eating small, frequent meals every 3 hours or so during the day. Her meal size was 1/4c during the first week, and is now up to 1/2c, sometimes a little more. She's so, so emaciated, so her body is having to learn how to accept food again.


Right now, she's only on antibiotics (1x/per day), the medicated skin spray, Vetricyn wound spray, and the ointment for the conjunctivitis. The last one was added in two days ago, since she didn't get enough of it to completely kick the eye gunk before she started having the vestibular issues. We have a recheck on Friday, and will access what, if any, meds to restart at that point.


Her personality is coming out more and more, which is wonderful to see! She loves people of all ages, seems to love other dogs, is a bit stubborn but so loving. She's looking hopeful and alive, which makes me want to cry with happiness. Her tail wags every time she's spoken to, and whenever she's given food! She tried playing with a toy the other day, though seemed unsure about how to do it.

She's met Nola and Olivia, and both of those went well. Pike The Douche is still waiting until she's better.





I cannot thank you all enough for the outpouring of support for both Lucky and myself. From comments here, on Instagram and Facebook, to emails and PM's, to the GoFundMe donations and sending Lucky things, it's been staggering. Y'all have had me in tears on more than one occasion. I've had several people ask if Lucky has an Amazon wish list they could get her something from. She doesn't, but if that is something you all would be interested let me know.

This was from Nola's BFF, Lily Belle!




Now, help me name her! I do not want Lucky to be her name. Too common for me, and it doesn't roll of the tongue well. Toss out some suggestions! Here are my guidelines:

- Not too common

- Prefer girly, but not too girly (like Nola and Olivia vs...I don't know, Priscilla)

- Prefer something short or easily shortened (Olivia is usually shortened to Liv or Livvy)

- Ideally would still be tied to luck or fate



And....go!


- Dachshund Mommy

29 comments:

  1. Bless her. Such a brave girl.

    How about 'Hope'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a relief to know that she's responding so well with all the loving care she's getting from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracie.
    So happy to see the improvement with her.
    xo Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great news, well done Lucky, its good to see you doing sooo well, keep it up sweetie
    I was nearly called Alice ( Alice in Wonderland), that could be shortened to Ali, so how about it Lucky, do you feel like an Alice??
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad she is doing better! Please start an Amazon Wish List. I know I would like to send something and I know others would too. Take care, Emmy & Cocoa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic. Off to the GoFundMe page
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nola please post the link to Go Fund Me
    Thanks friend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so glad the POTP and meds and love are all helping! Here are my thoughts:
    Kiska (an island in Alaska)
    Cassini (a space between the rings of Saturn)

    Can't wait to see what name you choose...lots of good suggestions from everyone so far!
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge and Staff

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy to hear this update!! I don't have any ideas for names but am going to think of one and I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dalia or Moira? And YES on the Amazon Wish List!

    Glad she's doing better. I love that she has a little stubbornness - I know you enjoy a challenge. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She does look a bit better although every time I see her it is a shock once again how thin and how bad her poor skin is. I can't wait for the day when she has a full coat of fur and is playing with your other dogs.
    At the moment she looks like a little bean so how about Bean?
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, so cute!!!
    I'm not good with names..our dogs seem to pick their own. It's almost like they come into their names as so as we get them. Like I go, OH she should be named Belle. And as time went on, we started calling her BabyBelle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might have already named her...how about Fate?

    So glad she is doing so well. I agree still scary to see, but so wonderful the improvemens day by day. Still thinking of you and your new girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so glad she is improving.... what about Faith?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fortuna - the goddess of luck! Although Tuna is not a nice abbreviation. So glad she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracie, Penny (as in lucky penny), Serendipity, Karma

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Fate, or Faith....but I think whatever you name her will be perfect!! We would also love if you put an Amazon Wish List wish list up for her!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful that she is improving!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad she's doing better! I'm terrible at naming things so I don't really have any suggestions! Vince and I argued for like a week about Phoenix's name. I didn't want to name her that because I had a friend who's dog was named that and she had just passed away. It was really awkward. What we usually do is pick a few names we like, put them down on paper and try them out. Then whatever seems to fit best is what we pick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so glad to hear that she's doing better...and that the meeting with your other two girls have gone well! As far as a name...sadly, I've got nothing. If I think up something workable before you run across something you like I will absolutely share it up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad she is doing better. I'd love to see a list of needs. I often have stuff I've carried for a bit that I donate to someone. Let me know what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a Godsend. She is just precious. Hmm I like Gracie which someone mentioned and Faith. Or maybe Clover since a 4 leaf clover is lucky :)

    xoxo,
    Ginger, Matt & Matilda's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad to hear the good news. For all your sakes.

    How about Karma?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I am so happy to hear a good update!!!!! Thank dog for people like you helping animals in need. As for a name? Hmmmmm, how about Faustina? I know it sounds word, but the meaning of the name is lucky. Or how about Carina? That one means "dear little one; beloved." Felise also means lucky. And thats all I got for you LOL!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm finally catching up on everything and totally missed the new addition!! Congratulations - I am so very happy to hear how well she's improving!! Names are so tricky. I also love to pick unique names. Someone suggested Clover and I think that's super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whoa, I missed a lot while I was in England! I'm so glad that she's doing so well! My name suggestions would be Felicity, Zayda or Mercy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!