Friday, September 11, 2015

Dachshund Nola Reviews: Brave Limited Ingredient Grain Free Dog Food

Hi, everyone!




Today I'm working with The Honest Kitchen for a review of their newest line of limited ingredient dehydrated dog food. I like to have THK in my dogs' rotation diet, and they're always happy to eat it!


I picked Brave for my dogs, which is the fish version and contains just 6 ingredients, plus vitamins and minerals. It's perfect for dogs with allergies and sensitivities, as it's grain/gluten, poultry, and potato free.  While only Nola has food allergies and none of them are meat based, I'm of the idea of "less is more" when it comes to food, for both the dogs and myself!





I was eager to test out Brave, since it's THK's higher protein option. Nola loses weigh in the blink of an eye on a lower protein food, so I was happy to discover Brave is 34% protein.



The consistency was a little different from most of the other THK food's I've tried; it needed less water than the recommended amount. The first time I mixed it, I added the suggested amount and it was nearly pure juice. Oops! The nice thing about a dehydrated food though is that you can adjust it to your dog's taste. Nola likes it with more water, while Pike likes a thick paste.




The left is Nola's bowl, the left Pike's. 



It has a definite fish odor, though it's not as strong as some fish based foods and wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. It wasn't as big of a hit as some of their other varieties with the dogs, and it took Pike a while to decide it was suitable to eat the first time. They all eventually finished though, and there was no stomach upset. After the first meal, they were all happy to eat it!

I'd advise against giving it to your dog if they have a white beard, though. It gave Olivia green mustache.




Overall, I'm happy with Brave, and it will stay in the dogs' rotation as the fish part of their diet. I recommend!



- Dachshund Mommy

8 comments:

  1. That's some combo, coconut and fish. Looks good but we don't love dehydrated foods like that
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear about some different options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This even LOOKS healthy in the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I didn't even think about the food staining a beard! Lol! Poor Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I didn't even think about the food staining a beard! Lol! Poor Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dogs love THK's Zeal. I will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have never heard of this one!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!