Monday, August 3, 2015

Birds of A Feather

Hey, guys!




This is our newest addition, Finn/Archer/Oliver (feel free to share which of those you like best!)! He's a baby pearl cockatiel, just weaned from hand feeding. He's from a semi-local aviary (and holy fuck, I thought dog people were nuts. They have nothing on bird people), and is a really sweet baby.
He loves cheerios, climbing, and sitting on your shoulder. He'll step right up onto your finger, foot, or anything else he can grab, and he LOVES anything shiny. Necklaces and earrings especially! He's a bit temperamental at times, though, and tends to sulk if he doesn't get his way. He fits right in. ;)

I say "he", but I'm not certain what sex he is yet. They can't be visually sexed with any reliability until after the first molt at around 6 months of age. If he's a male, he'll lose the pearl striped pattern and just be grey; if he's actually a she, she'll retain it. If I had to guess, I think he's a boy. He's quite vocal, among other things!



Nola has met him through the cage bars, and while she's definitely interested she listened to her "leave it". He doesn't seem to mind her too much, and of course they're never allowed to interact without a barrier. I don't trust the other dogs enough to be that close to him, so his cage is put up out of their reach.

This is just his travel/let's make sure you aren't ill cage. His new big one should be here today or tomorrow. 

"Hmm. I wonder if this cage is just a new kind of Happy Meal box? It smells like a chicken nugget."




This is my second pet bird, and also my second cockatiel. My first 'Tiel, a rescue with a deformed foot, passed away about three years ago now.  I missed having one. It's surprisingly how something so small can be so enjoyed! They're delightful little birds, and full of personality.
Cockatiels aren't obnoxiously vocal like many other types of birds, but they can whistle and even learn to talk. My old Tiel, Blue, would wolf whistle, mimic the sounds of hens clucking, and even torment the dogs by using the sharp whistle they're trained to come to. They're very smart, and one of the cuddliest and most loving birds. So much character in such a little body!


He's a handsome guy (or pretty girl, haha).




He's a vain little guy, and likes to watch himself in the mirror. 

Good for size reference. My hands are average for a woman, with long fingers, and head to tail he's about the length of it. 



He likes my tallest bookcase! Don't worry - I'm nearly obsessively fastidious with cleaning up after him, and (safetly) disinfecting once he's out of the room. I don't know why, but I get a bit squicked out by him being out if I think too much, haha. The dogs don't bother me at all, though!



- Dachshund Mommy

10 comments:

  1. Birds can be such a joy. Your post today made me think back to when I was just a little kid. Mom and I lived with my grandparents. They had a little blue parakeet named "Baby". Grandma had a very strong German accent and Baby had at least a 100+ word vocabulary, most of which also had a German accent. Grandma loved watching the Detroit Tigers play baseball on the television or on the radio and the announcer, George Kell, always said "Here comes the pitch". Baby picked up this phrase and used it often, only he couldn't pronounce his "Ps" very well and they sounded like "Bs". Imagine the surprise and look of horror on my Godmother's face when she came over to visit one day, walked into the living room, and was greeted by a very loud and clear....HERE COMES THE (B)*ITCH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I had birds, and a cockateil or two years ago. They can be so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never had a pet bird before; just the chickens. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Is that your new pet Nola
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! (S)He's neat! I like birds a lot but Vince doesn't so we probably won't ever have any. That's awesome that you got one that's so tame already! My friend had a conure that used to bite the crap out of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finn! I love that name! :D Such a cute bird. I've always wanted one of my own, but sadly EVERYONE in my family (except me and my dad) has a very strong allergy to feathers. We grew up around cockatiel birds at our babysitter's house. It was always so fun feeding the babies! They are very cuddly and cute birds for sure. I'm excited to see more pictures of your new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty birdie! Mom loves that silhouette shot of him/her on your shoulder - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so cool looking!!! I love the feathers on top of his head. Congrats on the new addition!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!