Friday, June 12, 2015

Dachshund Nola Reviews: Merrick BackCountry Grain Free Wet Food

Hey, everyone!

First of all, we are having terrible internet problems. This has been going on for months now, but has really gotten bad the past few days. Commenting might be a bit sporadic for a while; I'm using my iPhone's personal hotspot option to work the laptop and that is slow as can be. Fun.....



It's time for our monthly Chewy.com review! If you don't know Chewy....well, what rock have you been hiding under? They're simply fabulous!
For this month, I picked Merrick's Backcountry Canned Food in Alpine Rabbit Stew flavor. I'm a firm believer in variety being the spice of life, so I feed Nola a mix of kibble (Fromm), wet, and pre made raw (Sojos Wild) throughout the week. She hasn't tried any Merrick products before, so this was the perfect opportunity.

They have both kibble and wet food options for the Backcountry line, and they are all grain free. The canned comes in 7 different flavors: Hearty Beef, Rabbit, Duck and Venison, Chicken Thigh, Salmon, Real Beef, and Real Chicken. I'm not sure why they have what are essentially the same things listed twice, though. A case of 12 12.7oz cans runs from $26 to $32. That's a bit expensive in my opinion, unless you have a small dog or feed it as part of a rotation. One can lasts Nola three meals, so we use one can a week. That's pretty cost effective for us!


Here's the ingredients for the Alpine Rabbit flavor:

Rabbit, Turkey Broth, Deboned Turkey, Peas, Turkey Liver, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Pea Protein, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Canola Oil, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed Oil, Guar Gum, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,  Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Sodium Selenite), Cinnamon, Caramel Color, Xanthan Gum





I was pleasantly surprised when I opened this and wasn't met with the typical, gag-inducing smell that  accompanies most wet food. While it does have some smell, it isn't terribly offensive and it doesn't linger in the air, on your skin, or your dog's mouth. Obnoxious smells are a huge deal breaker for me in dog food and treats, and I was happy the Backcountry didn't have that.
It has chunks of meat and visible veggies in a semi-thick sauce. Nola devoured it, and there was no stomach upset or any other issues. I'm quite pleased with it, and would recommend!


The dark stuff in the middle is The Honest Kitchen's Perfect Form supplement, not anything funky!

- Dachshund Mommy

6 comments:

  1. That looks like something any dog would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love that stuff but makes me poop a lot
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, this looks nutritious and canine appetising.

    sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yumminess! Titan eats wet Merrick food and some treats. I haven't found a product yet he doesn't like. I'm going to add this one to my list to try! Thanks hon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! The girls love Merrick we are going to have to give this flavor a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the Merrick Alpine Rabbit. Bentley needs to eat cool proteins and rabbit is one that he can eat! *Psst. I had to re-follow you. I was clearing out my list and discovered you were gone! WTD?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!