Friday, April 24, 2015

Dachshund Nola: A Mini Review of The Honest Kitchen Revel Dog Food

Hey, everyone! I have a review for you today on The Honest Kitchen's newest line of whole grain dehydrated dog food, Revel. It'll be super short, since I have a very full work schedule this week and I'm trying to finish scheduling all the posts for this week while I have a minute. I'm doing some serious cramming!



The Honest Kitchen is a great company that makes wholesome food and treats for dogs and cats. Their newest (and cheapest) product is called Revel. It's a grain inclusive, chicken based food that is suitable for all life stages. It has minimal, high quality ingredients, and you don't have to feed to much of it compared to other brands.  THK's food is dehydrated, so you just add water to create a tasty meal for your pup.



While I'm a big fan of The Honest Kitchen as a whole, Nola doesn't do well on their food since she needs a higher protein and fat content in her meals, or she gets extremely thin.
Keeping that in mind, I picked Pike to test this food. Pike's one of the pickiest dogs I've ever met when it comes to meal foods (though he'll eat most any treat, the little shit), and he also has a sensitive stomach. With a gradual transition, he experienced no stomach upset, and he eagerly ate all his food whenever it was offered to him. Pike, who's about 7-10lbs, has been eating 1/3c (before adding water) once a day. He approves!

It was difficult getting him to take the ball out of his mouth so he'd get to try it. ;)



Water added on the left, dry on the right. The nice thing about dehydrated food is you can cater the consistently to what your dog likes. Pike prefers it to be like soup, but since Olivia was getting a taste, I made this batch fairly dry so it wouldn't stick in her beard. 





I'd recommend this to anyone with a pup this would work for, especially if you've been wanting to try THK but have balked at the price. This is their most affordable food yet, and it's well worth the price you do pay.


-Dachshund Mommy

This happened as I was attempting to open the bag. 2lbs of food spilled all over me, my review table, and the floor.

Luckily the cleanup crew was there, and left an abstract display of tongue art. 

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. chicken, drool, drool
    Looks very tasty
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pike is so cute! We are really happy with this food, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls really liked this food, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a great review! Pike is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the looks of things that is some truly delicious stuff...to bad strict old mom won't let me eat chicken based foods. Something about it making me gassy and bad poops...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!