Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Dachshund Nola Debates: A New Series! Female vs. Male

Hey, everyone! I've decided to start a (hopefully!) weekly segment here on popular debates within the dog community, and some of my own personal pet peeves. Some, like today's, will be fairly lighthearted, while some will be major issues I feel very strongly about and that will possibly (okay, likely - ya caught me! ;)) ruffle a few feathers. I welcome you all to post your opinion so long as it is respectful to both myself and others that may differ from you. Rude and hateful comments will be deleted.

This will be posted on every debate post to serve as a reminder!

Today's topic is on female vs male dogs. Since most pets are, I will be talking about the differences between altered animals. Obviously, an intact dog will have different issues. This is more core personality traits than hormonal effects.

Having both sexes (two altered, one intact), I've enjoyed seeing the differences between them. Of course, each dog is an individual and may not apply to these traits, ect.
Feel free to post what you've seen below!

We'll start with the lovely ladies. Growing up and as an adult, I've had females more often than males, so I might be a little bit biased towards them.
With the girls, you're kept guessing. Females tend to be more complex than males, and what you see isn't always what you get. Girls have layers. The tend to be more suspicious, are definitely quicker to judge and are more protective. There is a good reason people call them bitches, as they are usually the instigator! My girls have always been the bossy ones, where my boys are the peace makers.
A lot of people say that the girls love you while the boys are in love with you, and I've found that to be true. My girls adore me, but when they want their own space they have no problems going to get it. They tend to be a bit more tenacious with what they want, and they can be moody. As a whole, I've found females to be a bit more intelligent, and they tend to be better problem solvers.
My girls have always had a more steadfast bond than my males.


Ah, the boys! The lover to the female's fighter. With them, what you see is what you get. They wear their heart on their sleeve, and are more...hm, basic? I don't mean that to sound bad, but they don't have the complexity that females do, and for some it's refreshing. I have to say that Pike perfectly balances Nola's personality in that regard.
My boys have always been very even keel with a mode that general stays they same. They've been happy go lucky, level headed and open.
Compared to the girls, Pike is a hemorrhoid in that he is always on my ass! :p He wants to be touching me at all times, always wants my attention, and never seems to get sick of me. With him, it seems like I'm his world, where with the girls it's more like I'm just a very large part of theirs.
I've noticed that they are less protective, and more forgiving. They tend to be a bit more fickle than the girls when it comes to getting love and attention from others, and I feel their affection is more easily placed on another compared to a female.


So, who makes the better pet? It's a tie! One isn't better than the other. It's personal preference. I like both, obviously, and will have both again. I do think a male/female pair works better than any other combo, but that depends on the individual. I've had the best time when I've had one of each!

Nola: Come on, we all really know that I'm the winner in all things. Why should this be different?
Pike: Whatever Mom picks is the best choice. She knows best! Love you, momma!

Olivia: Do I earn extra points because I'm cute?!



Which do you prefer, and why?

Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy

14 comments:

  1. This is a fun debate (and I think Olivia gets bonus points for her cuteness!). I have had mostly females in my life and what you said about them is dead on in my opinion. But for me ... I love my boys. For what I want out of a dog they fit our family better. This was fun to read! Anxious to see what next week brings. (I need your creative thinking on getting more blog posts out there)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlies is bestest of course especially Princess girlies...what can I say...of course I'm biased !
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had boys so I can't make much of a comparison. But even between the two current boys, temperament is very different. Jimmy is very demanding of love, and needs non-stop attention. Wilson is quite aloof, prefers not to be touched too much and enjoys spending a lot of time by himself.

    I do see in agility that the female Cardigans that really take to the sport are much more drivey about it than the boys. Jimmy loves the game, but doesn't give it his all like some of the girls I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of our dogs have been males except one. Sunny was also the only no-golden-retriever-genes, somewhat psycho Houdini dog, which didn't make her popular with my husband. The kids and I loved her though! (she was also our longest-lived dog, she was 15 when she passed away). Truthfully I don't have a preference but I think Ted likes having males because he views his dog as a buddy and companion for manly things like wrestling and backpacking :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always like females better. Most pets I have had are girls, and I think they are smarter and easier to train. Although, the only male pet I have had as an adult was a cat. And he just may have been as ass, even my son said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer females because I can't handle the leg-lifting males. My dog Copper, he was extremely fuzzy and unkempt when I saw him at the pound and he was actually listed as a female. I didn't check the undercarriage that thoroughly so I figured the pound knew what they were talking about. However, as soon as I got him home - the leg lifting began and so began many years of him scent marking in the house despite my best efforts. I considered returning him to the pound minutes after I brought him home and his male-hood was revealed - but I knew he had already been there for a few weeks and it is a kill-shelter and he was living on borrowed time so I kept him. My female at the time, Shadow, totally bossed him around despite his larger size. I will admit he was a total sweetheart though and everyone that met him loved him and he, of course, loved everyone he met. I'm also not a fan of the male "lipstick" that often appears. I'm like, "Put that away, man!". I guess I just prefer the females because all their "gear" is hidden neatly away. That being said, it never fails - when I really love a dog I meet - 9 times out of 10 it ends up being a male dog. There's just something about them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We totally agree, one is not better than the other though so many people think so, I am queen by the way
    Lily (& Edward)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am woman hear me roar! 'nuff said!!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with you!! I've noticed all of the things you mentioned!! :D I much prefer girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After having bad luck with males who got out of yards and had fatal adventures, SHE's always had females. Dui is the first male in ages. He's certainly a wild boy, very confident.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy is the first female dog I've had and I like the balance of having one of each. They each bring something special to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with your assessment of females! Though, to be honest, Ma has never had a male doggie. She is starting to reassess that decision, however. (HEY! What does that mean??) Blueberry's Moms comment cracked me up abouts all the 'gear' being hidden! BOL!!
    Oliva, you are right, you gets bonus points cause you are just adorables!!!
    (you too Nola....and Pike...oh shoot ~ you ALL gets bonus points!)
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both and have 2 girls and 2 boys (1 is intact). I think it really is personal preference, but it also depends on the dog and how you have that initial reaction to it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course you can have bonus points Olivia!

    Currently I have a spayed female, an intact female and an intact male (it's up in the air whether or not I'll neuter Skipper when he grows up). I've always preferred girls because in my experience they're a little more subtle and catch on to things (training and environment-wise) more quickly than males. That said, Skipper is by far the quickest learner of my trio--as he matures I'm noticing the whole-world-vs.piece-of-world difference that you mentioned though; he's becoming a bit of a velcro dog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!