Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tongue Out Tuesday and Food Decisions



Hey, all! After a good bit of research (thankfully not too much, as even when I wasn't feeding commercial I tried to make a point of keeping up with the top choices), I've decided on food for the Duo, both in type and whether or not I'll be rotating proteins and brand. Each dog has a different diet, so I'll break them down into what they're on now and what they'll be getting later.

Before I do that though, I'll mention that I will be rotating their protein sources as well as brands. Nola hasn't been on a commercial diet for any length of time since she was about 18 months old, and since both home cooked and raw use quite a bit of variety, there's no reason not to switch it up. I firmly believe that the more varied the diet, the healthier it is, for both humans and dogs. The only thing I'm avoiding with Nola is pork, as it gives her a major case of canon butt.
Pike is only 9 months old, but he's also had a good variety of food, so he'll be switched around as well.


For Nola, I've decided on freeze dried/dehydrated foods. Right now, she's on The Honest Kitchen Grain Free Force (chicken). I do frequent reviews for THK, and Nola has always done well on their products. I've even used THK when I forgot to make a new batch of food, and she throughly enjoys and it agrees with her.
Before Little Bit was on home made, I tried a wide array of kibbles on her, and none agreed with her (that was what prompted the switch, as dehydrated wasn't as widely known or available 3 years ago). Dehydrated is as close as possible to homemade, so it's the logical choice for her. It is extremely expensive, which is why Pike isn't on it. He does well on kibble, and since I can much more easily afford dehydrated for one that needs it and highly quality kibble for the other that doesn't, rather than both on dehydrated, it was a done deal. I'm very lucky my dogs eat less than a cup a day each, though!

Each time Nola goes through a bag of her food, I'll switch. Currently, it looks like we'll be alternating with The Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Grandma Lucy's and possibly Orijen Freeze Dried, Stella and Chewy's, Primal, and Bravo!. I know that some are freeze dried raw with fruits and veggies, and I'm curious to see how she'd do on them.


Pike, as I said, will be on a mix of high quality kibble. To start with, I chose Taste of The Wild High Prairie. It's high quality and very cost effective. I'm exceedingly grateful that one of my dogs does well on kibble, as it gives you infinitely more leeway in price without sacrificing quality, unlike dehydrated that's expensive across the board.
Like with Nola, each time he finishes a bag I'll switch. In our rotation will be Orijen, Fromm, Acana, Wellness CORE, Zignature, EVO, Now Fresh, and Merrick.

Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy

4 comments:

  1. That does sound like a lot of work! You have a lot of dedication to work all that out for two dogs individually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's fantastic the amount and research and effort you go to when you are choosing your dog's food.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't, you might check out I and Love and You to add to the dehydrated food rotation- my dogs absolutely loved it, and I thought the ingredients were great. Plus, it is actually sold in Fred Meyer's/Kroger's stores, so could be grabbed quickly rather than shipped. But it looks like you have a solid plan on what to feed. I've never been one to stick to a single type of food or protein source, though I prefer to feed a red meat source like beef, pork, or lamb rather than a poultry source.

    If you have a Costco near you, they have a nice grain free food that is very similar to Taste of the Wild, but cheaper, that you might want to try out. Also, I personally worry that the extremely high protein content in Orijen kibble (often in the 40% range), I worry that it will place extra stress on kidneys. I try to stay with foods that are closer to 20-25% protein, which is closer to what is found when feeding raw. And I highly recommend soaking any kibble in water before feeding, to help the dog process it and help reduce strain on the kidneys.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!