Monday, November 3, 2014

Positive Pet Training Blog Hop: Rear End Awareness

Hey, guys! It's the first Monday of the month, which means it's time for another installment of the Positive Pet Training Blog hop, hosted by Dachshund Nola, Tenacious Little Terrier  and Cascadian Nomads. This month's theme is rear end awareness, but as always any positive based post is welcomed and encouraged.



If you don't know, rear end awareness is pretty much what it sounds like (well, if you aren't ass immature as I am. Did ya see what I did there? :p): a dog being actively aware of what it's doing with its feet and rear body. Things like pivots, backing up, rear foot targeting, dog sports, and many other complex tricks all require a seriously rear aware dog. Not only is it fundamental for training, it also builds muscle and helps a dog become more graceful and aware of their body. This is especially useful for larger dogs, as I'm sure you can imagine! Here is a video that shows some REA exercises. I picked this video as it shows a few of the methods I filmed the Duo doing.



Aside from backing up (Nola), balance training with FitPaws equipment (both), disc (Pike), and working on heeling while backing up (Nola), I don't do too much structured REA training with my dogs. No particular reason why. In the videos below you're seeing their first sessions with each of these exercises. Please excuse my looks, voice and dripping nose in these videos; I'm getting over a nasty cold.

Edit to add: I'm not sure why the video feature on blogger is only allowing me to post certain videos, so I'm going to try and embed them in the HTML instead. I've never done this before, so I hope it works! If not, the links to YouTube will be below each dog's videos.

First, Nola's:













Links for the videos hereherehere and here.


And now Pike, who is going through a fear phase at the moment and as is a bit jumpy due to that.



Links for videos herehere and here.


Grab the badge and link up!


Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy

5 comments:

  1. They are so cute! I love watching you work with them!
    On a side note, I've been having problems with Blogger as well with the stupid videos and I've just been imbedding them, too. What a pita! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have the blog hop link from last month. The dogs are adorable while doing their cavaletti exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your intuition at work with Pike. You seem to know just how much to ask of him so he doesn't "tune out" but eventually does what you're hoping for!

    I forgot about today but my post was an update on Shyla's socialization so it seemed as if it fit well enough... Sorry about my absent-mindedness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nola you are hilarious keeping your foot on your exercise equipment. Do you like the clicker training?
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!