Monday, July 7, 2014

Positive Pet Training Blog Hop: Successes and Wins

     Hi, all! Dachshund Mommy here along with Cascadian Nomads and Tenacious Little Terrier to bring you another installment of the Positive Pet Training Blog Hop. I'm so sorry for not posting a reminder; between working with Nola and Pike, planning for Rosa's arrival, working, and not feeling well last week I've been a little frazzled. Anyway, this month's theme is successes and wins, be it an accomplishment in training or ribbons you've won and titles you've placed on your dog. Feel free to share future plans, as  well.
 Grab the badge and link up to share! Remember, all positive posts are welcome! :)








     I have two gigantic - in my opinion, at least - training successes with Nola. One is major to me and for her, but doesn't seem that huge for most people, and one isn't huge for us but seems major to most people.
Our first and biggest (to me, anyway) involves nail trimming. Yup, you read that right; nail trimming. I used to not be able to so much as pick up Nola's paws with clippers in hand without sending her into a screeching, struggling, freaked out frenzy. She's never been quicked, and the whole scenario was a massive training blunder on my fault. Having had large (Mastiffs and labs growing up) dogs prior to Little Miss, they wore their nails down just walking around. I didn't even consider to work with Nola on accepting handling of her feet and nails when she was younger, even though she's conditioned to accept absolutely every other form of handling.  Nola's only 10.5lbs, so even when she was regularly walking on pavement her nails didn't wear down sufficiently. As you can imagine, that lead to quite a mess that I am not proud of.
After months of counter conditioning, we went from me being in tears trying to trim her nails and her writhing around before me, to me being able to clip all her nails in about 5 minutes while she sits there patiently, totally unrestrained, waiting for me to finish. I can even dremel them now, although that's taking a little counter conditioning. Before I could trim her nails:
     After:
Holy crap, she's gotten dark! The above picture was just after her second birthday.


    Our second greatest success, which most people are absolutely floored by, is Nola's recall. Nola has one of the most solid recalls of any dog I've met. In addition to that, she stays within a radius of me (go to my first Positive Training Blog Hop post to read all about her recall and radius training). Most people seem shocked that she has a solid recall simply because of her breed.
When I train, I think of how the breed's tendencies can help me, rather than hinder our work. I didn't go into training Nola setting limits on both her and myself simply because she is a Dachshund. I've house trained her, taught her impulse control, put a solid recall on her, socialized her so she's wonderful with kids and other dogs, taught her to retrieve, and worked so she's polite in public, all of which are things that people would tell (and sometimes still tell) me were impossible because of what she is. Haters gonna hate. ;)

Recall and retrieval, two things that I was told were impossible with a Dachshund.

Not to my SuperGirl!



     As for titles, Nola has her AKC CGC and one leg towards her AKC Rally Novice title. She would have her RN title if the area wasn't so stagnate as far as dog events go. :/ I plan to put the CGCA, RA and RE titles on her, and perhaps dabble in a bit of agility. In the fall I'll be traveling a lot more for dog events, so it should be much easier to trial and title with her then.

    My plans for Pike as of right now are therapy work, Rally, and I'm toying the the idea of disc dog or agility. He's only 5 months old, but therapy work looks promising for him. He's a sweet lover.

     For Rosa, my plans are of course banking on how she is once I interact with her, but at the moment we're looking at Rally, hunting and possibility agility, dock diving, conformation and tracking.


    What about you? Feel free to share!

Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on that nail cutting Nola. And we look forward to hearing all about your agility.....good job
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, nail trimming... I need to put that on my "to do" list. It's not that bad around here but it's not great either. Except with Huxley (proof that I finally learned how to properly desensitize!) Wilhelm also proudly bucks all the dachshund stereotypes and people constantly tell us he is the most friendly dachshund they have ever met or about a dachshund they have, had or know that could never be out and about the way Wilhelm is. Socialization and positive training just isn't THAT hard people!!! And having a dog with a happy, quality life is always worth every second spent. Congrats on the speedy nail trimming success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nails can be such a tough one! Thankfully, mine do really well with them. The recall is something Pyrs struggle with as well. I'm still trying to figure out a way for the breed's tendencies to work with the training, rather than against it. Until then, we'll just keep on practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice nails! Mr. N's are a little long. I quicked him twice and he wriggles when I try to clip (he's good at the groomer though) so I made him a dog nail file. He files his own nails and everyone is happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We go for long walks on the roads and pavements, so we avoid the nail trimming....except dew claws.

    XXXOOO Bella Roxy & Dui

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your positivity and confidence in your and Nola's abilities. Also, I love your goals for each of your pups. Pike looks like he would fit in a therapy role. He looks like a lover. I think my Toby would do well there too. I'm not sure how to get into that though. Well, good luck in all your ventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Way to go with the nail trim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phoenix had a win this past month with recall, too!! I was able to call her off of eating Bentley! She did a complete 180 and came right to me and I didn't have any treats! I posted about it on the blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, nail trims are best done by the professionals with MOI...I let Ma do many things to me...trimmin' my nails is not one of them! We've come to an agreement.
    Yea on the agility!! You go gurl!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, nail trims are best done by the professionals with MOI...I let Ma do many things to me...trimmin' my nails is not one of them! We've come to an agreement.
    Yea on the agility!! You go gurl!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bentley lets me trim his nails when he is in the tub. He trusts me more than I trust myself. I usually take him to the vet for a nail clip. It's not expensive and I'm more comfortable with a professional doing it. So, it's not him, it's me! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!