Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pike and I Go to The Beach

     Hi, everyone! On Saturday, the peeps took me and Pike to the beach. I hadn't been in months (between the nasty weather and the peeps' work....), and it was Pike's first adventure.
We. Had. A. Blast! I've never played off leash with another dog like this, since I'm not a dog that likes playing with strange dogs and the Minions can't go off leash and don't really care for the beach, so it was so much fun to play with Pike!


      Note from DM: Pike only needs one more set of shots, and I took him to the area where other dogs weren't around, so risk of sickness is minimal and the benefit of socializing him to this far out ways the risk of exposure. 
He's also off leash, because this is the prime time to start teaching and reinforcing recall. Most puppies will naturally follow you around, so praising and rewarding the natural behavior lays a wonderful foundation for recall later on. That's what I did with Nola, aka Miss Flawless Recall.




Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola


DM: I've been so spoiled by Nola's coat. EVERYTHING sticks to Pike, and the little shit mats like crazy. :p










What's a wet Pike look like? Ugly. 




The water is yucky since it poured rain all week.

Windy!


Don't let his eyes fool you. I'M the crazy one, he's just a lover.






Hopping up!

Where I go, Pike follows.

He gets worried when I leave.





What a hot day!

The Merle Moron.

The Gawjuss Happy Girl.



Ah, sunshine!

The idiot got stuck.



The end!

15 comments:

  1. Great that you have a beach that allows dogs. Most around here don't. I think you are doing a great job teaching him Nola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got your new puppy! Cutest thing ever too! What a beautiful beach. Don't worry about the off leash thing - we go off leash on the beach all winter when it's deserted. If you scoop the poop and have a good recall, you are golden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, he is a cutie. And yep, those coats attract EVERYTHING. I clip Torrey myself every 8 weeks or so to keep my frustration level down. Especially once she got her adult double coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, happy dogs! I got to go to the beach on Sunday. It was awesome!! And I met tons of aussies!!

    -Otto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic. Your mom captures the best moments of a first adventure
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous day and beautiful beach. Nola, before too long, that little idiot will be running circles around you. Those legs are getting long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What spectacular photos.

    Lots of Woofs from Earl and I at Earl's World!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two make such a wonderfully photographic pair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wotten waven beach day with Pike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent adventure for both pups. We've always found that the older dogs are great at helping to train the younger ones.

    XXXOOO Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks as if Pike will be a natural beach comber!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful beach and a fun time. Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun day!!! A puppy's first day at the beach is a big milestone! You teach him, Nola, and he won't get stuck anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, Pike's blue eyes are just gorgeous. Nola ain't half bad, either :)

    ReplyDelete