Friday, May 2, 2014

Me and My Pike

     Hi, all! Pike has been here for five days now (well, four days as this is being written, five days when it publishes), and it's going great! I hate to admit it, but I actually really like him. He's tons of fun to play with, he adores me (smart pup), and he's nice and warm to cuddle with. I'll turn it over to Mom for a bit so she can give you the boring details of the last few days.


     DM: Thanks, beautiful. 
Nola and Pike are getting along better than I expected and as much as I hoped. She's incredibly patient with him, but doesn't hesitate to put him in his place when he's being a little shit. They play together, sleep at night together, chew together every evening. Nola tries to entice him to chase her in the yard, although the Merle Moron hasn't quite figured out that concept yet. ;) For his part, he's in love with her. He absolutely adores her. He's become quite attached to her, and looks for her when he can't see her. He screams when she gets ahead of him on walks or in the yard, he loves cuddling with her and acts like every little thing she does is the most incredibly awesome thing ever to happen. I love it.

     Pike is very smart, although nowhere near as smart as Nola, now or at that age. I've found myself having to remember that he's a different dog on more than one occasion when I've found myself getting a bit frustrated at his slower responses. But at the same time, I'm incredibly thankful he isn't as smart as his sister; two Nolas would outsmart me, for damn sure. Hell, on somedays ONE Nola outsmarts me!
He's learned "sit", and is in the process of learning "down" and targeting my hands with his nose. We're also working on eye contact, although he has a good amount already. More like focusing on me rather than distractions. Impulse control was also practiced last night as I ate a bowl of pretzels and rewarded Pike for copying Nola and staying away from the bowl. He's also figured out how to fetch and to bring it back and drop it. As of right now, his favorite toys are Kong Air balls. 

     Nola is an incredible training asset with him. He watches her all the time, and he figures that when she gets praised, all he needs to do is copy her to get the reward. That's how he's learned to sit, and is also how he's learned to watch me for photos. I love the two of them.

    Pike is 12 weeks old today, and weighs in at about 6lbs.

     I really couldn't be happier. I love my bitchy little girl, and my ditzy little boy. They're great together, and it couldn't have worked out better. Love them!












Both of them are sopping wet, since all outdoor pictures where taken when we were under flood warnings.




Nola showing Pike how to properly recall


So fly!

Here he comes!



Left him in the dust.






Kisses and Tail Wags and Hugs,
Dachshund Nola and Dachshund Mommy

21 comments:

  1. Glad y'all are gettin along so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic pics. Nola is going to be a great teacher! She can add that to her resume!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Nola! You're teaching Pike everything he needs to know. We're so dang happy that all is going sooooo well. How is he getting along with the rest of the Minions?

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Nola!! Pike is adorable and is so lucky to have you teaching him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Nola. Pike has the most amazing eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness how adorable. Nola don't forget he will get bigger.
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you all are having a great time together. He sure is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we brought Torrey home, Roxy was not so thrilled. You're lucky Nola is being patient with the new little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so nice to see Nola and Pike getting along so well, although we never doubted it would happen. Before you even mentioned the eye contact, we noticed that Pike is just about as focused on you as Nola - and that is super focus.

    Woos - Princeton, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those blue eyes!!! So adorable!!!!
    So glad they are getting along to well!!

    Smileys!
    Dory, Arty, Jakey and Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy for you! I have worried about the storms. I'm glad that y'all are okay. Pike is adorable and it is always an asset to have an older sibling to mimic. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness!!! Those blue sincere eyes. And the puppy cuteness. You and Nola are very lucky to have that cute little boy in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I squealed when I saw the picture of Pike with one ear flipped up and one ear down. So cute!! They seem like the perfect duo. The Queen and her faithful Minion. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet! Glad to hear they are getting along so well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sweet, the two of them together. Love the picture with Nola's ears a'flyin'.

    --Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMD!! They are so cute together. Love the ones of them running.

    We have a special treat, a Smilebox, planned for Blogville Mommies.

    Hope you'll send us a pic for our Mother's Day Smiley Box. See our April 29th post for details.

    ♥♥♥Mona, Prissy & Angel Weenie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep taking lots of Pike pictures! He's too cute for words! Btw, he sounds pretty smart to me. Five days, twelve weeks old, knows sit and working on down? Good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Nola & Mom, I'm So very happy for you!! Pike is incredible! I think it's beautiful that he looks to Nola for guidance, acceptance and advice. My sister Dixie Mae (a black & tan dachshund that we rescued a year ago) was the same way with me when she first came to be with us. I showed her the ropes and how things worked. It was great and we've become such good friends! I wish you many happy years together.
    Oh, and to Nola's Mom, Mommy says I am her definite heart dog too, just as Nola is for you.
    Have a great week!
    Pixel Blue Eyes

    ReplyDelete