Monday, April 28, 2014

One of These Things Is Not Like The Other....


Meet my new minion! 

He's a 12 week old Miniature American Shepherd (most people probably know him as a Miniature Australian Shepherd, but the proper term is Miniature American Shepherd) blue merle male with two blue eyes.



    DM: We brought him home yesterday, and he's incredible. There was some tension between him and Nola early last night, but once Nola firmly established his rules they played some and Nola allowed him into bed with her. 

    He is so, so calm. Quiet, smart, easy going and just a great puppy. No accidents yet, and only two nips! He learned "sot" last night  by watching Nola do it and copying her, then I reinforced it with the clicker and treats. He's learning a recall from Nola, as well. She's being a good teacher!


    He's about 7-8lbs, and is taller than Nola so he's over 11" in hight. He's precious, and his temperament is exactly what Nola needs. 
He's very alert and attentive for still being a baby, and his focus is great. He doesn't have anywhere near the drive Nola does, so working with him was an interesting contrast. Nola is very focused, very intent on figuring out what it is she's suppose to do. She's pushy and forward and not afraid to push to test out what's wanted. He doesn't do that, at all. He looks to me for direction. I told my dad last night that they're both scarily smart, and the difference between them is Nola thinks before listening, and Puppy just obeys. I have to admit, I prefer my challenging little shit headed girl's temper, but he fits so well here. We've had sporting, working and hound breeds, so I'm excited to work with my first herder.

     He's actually a working bred dog; a lot of the dogs in his line herd on farms. It was so cool to see all his relatives!



    As you can probably tell, he doesn't have a name. I've tossed around a lot, but nothing really fits. If you have suggestions, please share! I'd love for the to be New Orleans themed, but that's not a requirement at all. City name theme is out the window for non-Dachshund additions. He is sweet, gentle, quiet, smart, and very easy going. I don't like overly common names, I like relatively short and quick names, and I'm not a fan of most common male dog names, as you can see.
 My current name list is:

Jet
Audubon
Voodoo 
Eli
Oliver
Bond (as in James Bond)
Pike (favorite character the little guy resembles in looks and personality)
Ranger (ditto above)
Venice
Jaggar
Carino 


     Welcome to Blogville, little pup!

Dachshund Nola and DM


25 comments:

  1. Adorable! Herders have a whole different mindset than hounds....they've been bred to obey!

    How big do you expect him to get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Blogville you little, adorable, cute, sweet puppy! You definitely deserve a fitting name and we just know that DM will pick one for you soon. We will be looking forward to seeing more of you in the very near future and hearing more about your personality as time goes on. Nola will show you the ropes, so we know you'll grow to be smart!

    Congrat's on the new family addition!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's so sweet.
    Love the name Oliver.
    He will be a great addition to your family.
    congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome little sweetheart. We vote on Eli
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Gosh, It's Torrey's cousin!!! Congrats on choosing an awesome breed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOOO I met tow of those little guys at the beach a couple of weeks ago! Both blue merle girls. They were scary smart! And very, very cute!

    -Otto

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOOOHHHHH how sweet! A new addition!!!! My favourite is Voodoo. Totally unique.

    Lots of Woofs from Earl an I at Earl's World!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Voodoo is a cool name for a blue merle boy, if I do say so myself! But what about Rex or Marty (Mardi...as in Mardi Gras)? I am so happy for you and Nola; your new family addition is a handsome one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweetie. I've been hoping a merle Sheltie will come into our lives one day. I like Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea who Pike is - but I do like the name. I love the dark circles around his eyes! He looks like a little ball of fluffy trouble! ;) What fun! I'm sure his name will come to eventually as more of his personality emerges. Thank goodness the rescue already had Blueberry named. Otherwise I would have chosen some unoriginal boring name for her (my previous dogs were Copper and Shadow - ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwwwe!!!! OMD, lookie at you!!! You are just ADORABLES!!!
    Now, abouts the name...that's a toughie. Ma's 'herder' doggie was an OES, and her name was Panda (cause she looked like one!) butts we called her poo, as in, 'little shit' cause that was what she was as a pup!), So when I see the name Voodoo, I just imagine you will probably end up callin him doo...doo-doo!! BOL
    (sorry, Ma can't help herself....it's my cross to bear)
    Anyhu, I kinda like the name Eli, or Oz's suggestion..Marty!
    Welcome to Blogville little one!!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, welcome. You'll have some great times ahead.

    XXXOOO Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Squeeeee! OMD we can't believe how cute he is. We can't wait to learn more about him...like his name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, he is so adorable - congrats and all the best with the new member of the pack.

    Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! How about Jack (short for Jackson Square)?
    -Mister

    ReplyDelete
  16. *insert massive amount of squealing here* He is SO adorable! Congratulations! Have fun with him and getting to know the herders better. ;) I absolutely love them.
    As for names, I really like Jet, Voodoo and Pike! Good luck picking one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is an incredible cutie!!!! Wow! What a surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, so adorable and a great breed, too! Keep posting pictures...maybe a whole new blog??? He's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, he is adorable! Congratulations!! Two more NOLA names: Jazz or Gumbo : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cutie pie!! Welcome little guy, we can't wait to see what his name is going to be!!

    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our votes for Venice--He looks like a Venice! Congrats on the adorable new addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome handsome little Pike! We love your eyes and coloring. You have one of the best sisters on the planet and you will learn much from her. We cannot wait to share your adventures and watch you grow up as a part of our community.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had to read back to find out what breed Pike is because I thought he was a Sheltie! Is he a natural bob tail? I used to have blue merle Shelties, soooo gorgeous. Pike sounds like a little treasure. Glad he and Nola made friends so quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!