Monday, March 3, 2014

Positive Pet Training Blog Hop: Target Training and It's Uses

     Hi, everyone! Dachshund Mommy here today along with Cascadian Nomads and Tenacious Little Terrier to bring you the third installment of the Positive Pet Training Blog Hop.



     For thins month, I'm talking about target training. What's that, you may ask? Well, it's training your dog to target something, be it with their nose or paw. You can teach them to target a certain object such as a target stick, or your hand or even your foot. Whatever floats your boat!

     "Touch", as I'll refer to it in the rest of this post, is a very easy and very useful cue to teach. You can use it as a tool to teach other tricks, like heeling with a taller dog, shutting doors, turning on and off lights, ect. It's also helpful in a busy or slightly overwhelming situation, since it's an easy yet engaging cue to preform and that gives your dog confidence.
Here's a video on how to teach it (I can't link it since Blogger is being a pain):
Kikopup Touch Tutorial






     Nola knows how to target both my hands (I'm working on teaching her left and right), both my feet and objects I tap with her nose, and will target a yogurt lid with her feet. For nose targeting, I use the cue "touch!". For paw targeting, I use "target". I taught Nola to close doors using her "target" cue, and her "touch" cue was helpful in the beginning stages of teaching her her right and left finishes for Rally. Touch is also fun and useful because you can have the dog touch things in a certain way; you've probably seen a few pictures on here where Nola's "sniffing" flowers. In actuality, she's just targeting them.
Snapped just seconds before her nose hit the rose after giving the cue. 




     I've started teaching Miss Nola how to turn on and off lights. Hopefully she'll have the whole thing down by the end of the month and I can show y'all! Here is a very shaking and very nauseating video (I have a love/hate relationship with the YouTube Capture app) of when I first started teaching Nola this. She now flicks on or off the light about 60-70% of the time.





Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy

   

15 comments:

  1. WE only want to Target and TASTE... TREATS. That's how we Roll on our hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear, I love your blog ! You have provided a good info through this blog about a pet. I’ve learned more Titan and Milo through this blog.
      Really your your blog is top notch and very classy.
      Many thanks again for sharing.

      Delete
  2. When that light went on I actually said YES out loud, haha. I find it beautiful that dogs are so willing to please, that they put so much effort into figuring out what their human wants, and that they derive such pleasure themselves from it all. Dogs are happy, happy beings. We have so much to learn from them.

    I haven't tried target training with my dogs, but I have a couple that need (desperately) to be challenged, so your post came at just the right time :) Thanks for that, and have a lovely Monday!

    Guilie @ Life In Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! I love that this trick is one most people would not think a little dog could do. Well, I love that most of the brilliant things little dogs do (like earning Rally ribbons!) are things that most people think would not think a little dog could do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great trick...and it can be useful too. Nola is super smart!
    Happy Monday,
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so clever. We are very impressed with Nola's training.
    Dip and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd forgotten about this cue. We did it a long time ago for a beginner rally class,then it just fell off the radar. Wonder if Toby still remembers it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I've always thought Mr. N was too short but I may have to give it a try. What is Nola standing on? Even a chair isn't going to provide enough height, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome! I really need to get the ball rolling with Arty's training...great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool!! Do i gets to 'touch' treaties??! hehehe
    I thinks I'm gonna have Ma get me to try this one!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is soooo impressive!! Way to be awesome Nola!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry that I forgot about this Blog Hop. I have trouble remembering the once per month ones.

    Very very impressive! I love targeting... but I've been scared of all the scratch marks if I teach Shyla to turn on lights - so I haven't done it (yet). Can't wait to see next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Linky is open all week so you can still join in! Or join us next month, April 7th.

      Delete
  12. Awesome. I kinda sorta know how to do this. It could be fun
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of using target training to get "fake sniffing" photos! Never thought of that before, but will surely use it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!