Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sweet Treats

     Hey, everyone! I have some yummy treat reviews for you today, so let's get right to it. First up, we have a review for everyone's favorite company: Chewy.com! As you probably know by now, we adore Chewy. Love em to death!

      The awesome Andrew at Chewy.com sent us Wysong Dream Quail Freeze Dried Treats for Dogs and Cats. This 4.9oz bag costs $11.99, but you get a good amount for the price, especially since the treats are very easy to break up for training. They're made in the USA, rich in protein, amino acids, vitamins and minerals, and are processed without using damaging heat. The bag is resealable, and like I said you get a good amount for the cost and size.
DM: Fair warning to you all, while these treats don't smell as bad as some freeze dried treats they will stink up your hands and pockets!











     Up next we have Valentine's Day themed "Quickie" (DM: still can't read, write or say it without sniggering like a perverted twelve year old boy) treats from The Honest Kitchen. We're big fans of the Honest Kitchen because of their stellar products and good customer service.
These treats are only 1 calorie each, are just one ingredient (dehydrated haddock), and are really tasty! The container they're in stays closed well, and is small enough you can stick it in your peep's purse without it taking up much space. They are pretty pricey at $9.99 for a 2oz tube.
DM: Nola may love these treats, but HOLY CRAP THEY STINK!!! The smell stays on your fingers, in your pockets, in the air, and everywhere. It's like a slightly less offensive low tide smell, and it's horrid. 


Huge drawback for me. I also have a really sensitive nose, so the stench may not be as extreme for others.









     And lastly, we have Zuke's Z-Bones. I'lll be turning this over to Mom for reasons you'll read in a second.

     DM: There has been a huge amount of controversy over the recent announcement that Purina (aka, Nestle) bought Zuke's. They claim that Zuke's will "act independently of Nestle", but I highly doubt it. Read more on that here
When I was contacted about doing this review, the news had not been made public yet and I was unaware. I was not informed of it until these treats were on their way to me. I will post more on my feelings after this short review.


     Z-Bones are a grain free, USA made dental chew. They come in four sizes (mini, regular, large and giant) and come in three flavors (berry, apple and carrot). The mini sized ones took Nola about 3 minutes to eat, and she favored the apple flavor. They did give her breath a nice fresh smell after she ate them, and she enjoyed them immensely. 




     I do not support Nestle, and I am incredibly saddened by Zuke's selling out to Purina/Nestle. Zuke's was the only company Nola could have every treat in their line without issues, they make our two favorite treats (Mini Naturals and Z-Fillets), they're USA made with USA, Canada and New Zealand sourced ingredients. I really trusted Zuke's to have dogs best intentions at heart, and up until now they really showed that with their products, message and customer service. I know I'm not the only owner feeling betrayed by a company I'd put so much faith and money into.
I will no longer be buying any Zuke's products, nor will I be recommending them to others as I've been doing prior to this event. It is with great sadness that I announce this will be my last review for Zuke's. Even though both Zuke's and Nestle claim Zuke's will still operate independently of Nestle, I can't support it. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before Nestle starts lowering the quality of Zuke's ingredients before totally changing to formula. 
Make your own decision on this, and remember that this is my opinion and my choice alone. If you agree with me, great (you recognize awesome ;)). If you don't, that's cool, too. If you want to argue about it, go away. Go on Facebook or a forum and argue to your heart's content, but this is my blog and I'm not going to tolerate people picking at each other. Rude comments will be deleted.


Kisses and Tail Wags and Hugs,
Dachshund Nola and Dachshund Mommy



8 comments:

  1. Nola and dachshund Mommy:

    I just reviewed those Dream Treats in Quail flavor too and I agree with your review. They are totally delicious! I love that they are easily broken into smaller pieces and you get a good amount in the bag.

    BOL on The Honest Kitchen Quickies! I must admit, I LOVE those treats. They are the perfect size for training (and the perfect "stink" for training too). Ma agrees they are super stinky but she actually can tolerate it. DM made me laugh with that someecard!!

    And on the Zuke's thing, I have my own opinions too. I am not going to say anything though because I believe EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinions. We all must do what we feel is right for our dogs.

    Happy Thursday,
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nom, treat reviews are the best reviews, right Nola?
    Dip and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get momma to get me some of those Honest Kitchen treats...all my furiends have given them such good reviews, and the size looks perfect!

    We hadn't heard about Zukes having been sold, that is just really sad. I, too, really like the apple flavor Zbones. The switch makes Momma nervous, for the same reasons you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gasp! I did not know Zuke's sold out to Nestle! Well, crud. On the one hand, I'm glad to learn this so I can stop buying them. On the other hand - the mini's were the perfect size to hide around the house for Blueberry every work day and reasonably priced but now I will have to find a different small treat for her. I might look into the Quail bits.

    Thank you for the excellent reviews and the info on Zuke's. :) I must be awesome too since I won't be getting those anymore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We think we would all love those quail treats - we have seen so many great reviews on products from Chewy.com - nothing like getting a review from those who actually try them.

    Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  6. We loved the Dream Treats here, and I really need to order some of those Quickies. The name cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read the news about Zukes and I think the best way to know whats in your treats is to make them yourself. Check out www.doggytreats.us for a peanut butter treat recipe and I think they have others too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!