Monday, February 10, 2014

Birds of a Feather, or Something Like That

     Hey, everyone! As promised, today's post is about the new additions to our chicken flock/a general update on them, but before that I wanted to address some comments.

     People loved my collar! It's a 1" wide (DM: Nola's skinny neck can take the wider width, even though she's only 10.5lbs) "Love in many languages" no buckle slide collar from The Collar Shop. I love it! It's Valentine's Day themed but subtle enough to work any time of the year. I'm wearing it in the header above.




    My didn't just look huge in yesterday's photo; they are huge, at least for my size. Dachshunds, being earth dogs, have very large, webbed front paws. Our back feet are much smaller; the breed standard calls for back feet half the size of the front feet. See?

Front paw


Front paws

Front paw
Front paw

Teeny tiny itty bitty back paw.





     Okay, now that that's out of the way, onto the update! We have quite a collection of creatures in this family. We have WEINER dogs, PUSSY cats , COOTER turtle and CHICKS hens.

     What did you think I meant? ;) 

     We're up to...25 chickens (I think?) and 1 duck. All of these birds are used for eggs only, but we'll hopefully be getting some to eat soon along with a few more egg layers/pretty birds, a duckling or two, and a couple of turkeys. 


They're all suppose to be girls. We shall see! There's 7 of them.





The peeps have started letting the chickens free range. Surprisingly, we leave them alone. I just enjoy barking at them and herding them, but don't hurt them.

If you look closely, you can see the chicken looking at the camera has feathered feet.


This gate is suppose to keep me out of the garden.

It doesn't.

What's left of the radishes. 

And carrots.

Our peas are under here to protect them from the cold.


Red lettuce.


Broccoli.




This is Mom's favorite bird. A super tiny White Leghorn.

Duck on the right, obviously.

Isn't this girl freaky? She's a Turken/Naked Neck. Creepy as fuck, but great personality and lays every day. We also have a buff colored one who didn't feel like getting her picture taken (can you imagine?!).



Oh...

So...

Gawjuss!!!

Down/stay in the coop. Pretty impressive, if I do say so myself!

Just a few of the egg colors we get each day. We get everything from the lightest tan to dark brown to beige to white to speckled to blue and light green. Hopefully we'll get some that lay olive colored ones soon!
We get anywhere from 6 to 12 eggs a day.

DM: I love this girl. My heart dog. Dog of my heart.





Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola





13 comments:

  1. Hey Nola!
    Wow, what a perfect collar for this week! Definitely gets us in the mood for Friday's big QofH dance. I bet those chicks are fun to herd!
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, Valentine Date

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great update on the "farm" happenings. What ever happened to the beautiful peacocks?

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do miss our chickens and garden. How fun to have the baby chicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Those little chicks are adorable. I do have to say Nola you have the cutest chubby toes
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE ♥ your Collar... You get your OWN eggs??? THAT is so COOL DROOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the collar, perfect for Valentines Day. Aww those chicks are so cute.
    Dip and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of birds...not to chase.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a brilliant use of old windows! I would never have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your chicks. They are cute! The eggs must be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW you live with some really cool creature, Nola! I've never seen a chicken in person before, or a duck. I do know they taste good though, BOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable collar! Perfect for Valentine's and any other time. Your PAWS! So. Much. Cuteness. I had no idea that doxie's front paws are that much bigger than the back. Learn something new everyday.

    The little chicks are so cuuute. Chickens use to freak me out, but they're growing on me. However the Turken/Naked Neck is totally freaky, I agree.
    Your duck is cute! I want a duck one day.

    Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You gets you very own eggy weggies? I love eggie weggies. Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very impressive and the chicks are so sweet looking. Interesting about your paws too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!