Monday, January 20, 2014

We Need Your Help!

     Hey, everyone! Dachshund Mommy here today. On Friday I mentioned that we had an announcement, and I'm going to share it with you: we are on the search for our NextDog! I'm hoping to add the new dog to the mix sometime between this summer and next.

     This is where you all come in! I have not decided what breed this dog will be. I'm sure most of you are thinking "hold the phone, she's not getting another Dachshund?!", and that's a valid question. A Dachshund is not off the table; in fact, they're still very high on my list. However, I miss having larger dogs. Before Miss Nola, we had Mastiffs and a Lab. I don't want to go that big, but I do enjoy and miss having a larger dog.
I'm going to share with you the dogs that are currently on my list, what I like and what I don't like about them, and then I'm going to write what I'm looking for in a breed. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share! If you have a responsible breeder you know of, please leave their name in the comments below, or email me here.
Another minion to boss around, order, terrorize, own,  have?!


    Since I know this question will come up at least once, I'm going to nip it in the bud: I am not looking to adopt a mixed breed, or get a dog from a rescue. It's an extremely hot topic in the dog community, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, I've thought long and hard about where I want this dog to come from, and I've made the best decision for my family, and for us that means getting a puppy from a responsible breeder. Nola, the ring leader and Head Bitch of All She Surveys, does best with puppies so she can train them to become proper minions. Not to mention the fact that my dogs are around kids, and I want to raise a puppy to accept and behave around both kids and other animals. I'm not saying that rescue dogs can't be taught those things, and I'm not saying a puppy from a breeder is a guarantee. I'm merely stating that I have the best chance of getting and training what I need from a breeder. I am not totally disregarding rescues; if a litter of small puppies comes into our local shelter I would consider adopting one.
Any rude comments on this topic will be removed. :) Sorry about that, Blogville, but it's happened before and I don't want it happening again!

    Okay, now that that's out of the way, here are the breeds I'm consider:

Miniature Dachshund
PROS: Already have 4, know their temperaments and health issues, easy to travel with, good with kids if raised with them, cheaper to feed and medicate, good watchdog, easy to care for coat, minimal shedding, healthy except for back issues (risk of which can be greatly lessen with proper weight and management) and occasional epilepsy, long lived, high energy but not hyper, good temperaments in well bred dogs, smart, no drooling, huge variety in colors and coat types, protective.

CONS: A bit smaller than what I'm wanting in NextDog, back issues, some dogs and lines can be snappy and timid, can be difficult to find ones with longer legs like the girls have.
Bloodhound

PROS: Sweetie loves them, stupidly cute, SAR training would be a valid possibility, good with kids and other dogs, gentle, good energy level, good watchdogs.
CONS: Not the brightest, short lifespan, many health issues including bloat, ear and eye problems, would be slightly difficult to find one like the above that isn't excessively wrinkled, drooling, larger than I'd like, little variety in color, difficult to travel with. Slow to mature.
 

Redbone Coonhound
PROS: All the pros of a bloodhound in a slightly smaller, much healthier package, minimal shedding, less wrinkles, longer lived, good tempered, good energy level, good with kids and other dogs, some enjoy the water, good watchdogs, fairly intelligent.
CONS: I'd rather find a show line rather than hunting line for this breed, and since they are fairly new to the AKC that may prove difficult. Only one color. Drool. Slightly larger than I'd prefer, but not too much so. Slow to mature.
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
PROS: So cute, good size, good watchdog, good temperament, good with kids if trained not to herd them, good to travel with, no excessive grooming, smart, fairly healthy and long lived.
CONS: Lots of shedding, herding instinct would need lots of training to reel in, docked if tails aren't naturally short.
Rhodesian Ridgeback
PROS: Good tempered if trained and socialized, good watchdog, good with kids, minimal grooming, loyal, smart, protective, fairly long lived for larger breed.
CONS: Larger than I'd like, health issues, may be a little too energetic, slow to mature, no color variation, difficult to travel with.
German Shorthaired Ponter
PROS: Good with kids and other dogs, enjoys the water, minimal shedding and grooming, long lived for larger breed, slightly harder tempered than lots of other sporting breeds, smart.
CONS: May be too active, several serious health issues, docked breed.


Vizsla
Similar to the GSP above, but slightly softer in temper. Docked breed.



Standard Poodle
PROS: Good size, smart, enjoys water, good with kids and other dogs, long lived for larger breed, soft coat, no shedding.
CONS: Grooming, grooming, grooming! Can be spastic. Docked breed. Difficult to travel with. Several serious health issues. Incredibly expensive to both purchase and grooming. I'm sorry, but I am not paying $2,000 for a pet quality puppy.
Papillon
PROS: Good tempered, smart, long lived, good with kids and other dogs, minimal shedding, lower grooming than you'd think, easy to travel with, minimal health issues, higher energy than most toy dogs.
CONS: Toy breed, small than Dachshunds, fragile, bulgy eyes, dental issues galore.
Brittany
PROS: Perfect size, long lived, good with kids, good with dogs, smart, active, minimal grooming and fairly low shedding, fairly healthy, easy to travel with.
CONS: High risk of nervy and skittish dogs, even when well trained and socialized, docked breed.

Smooth Fox Terrier
PROS: Good size, good watchdog, good with kids and other dogs, minimal grooming, low shedding, smart, good temper, good energy level, easy to travel with, healthy. Similar to Nola in temperament, from what I'm reading, which is what I'm looking for.
CONS: Never had a terrier, a little larger would be ideal, possibly more difficult to find. Note: things that most people would consider issues, like prey drive, digging, and barking, aren't cons to me since those are traits I like in the Doxie Mafia.



     So that's my list! It's pretty varied, and it's beed added to and edited more times than I can count, but these breeds tend to stay on it. I'd love your opinions, and suggestions you have! Here is what I'm looking for, so you can better guess:
  • 5-80lbs, but ideally 20-45lbs.
  • Healthy 
  • Long lived
  • Smart
  • Energetic and high energy without being hyper (I see high energy as the dog liking exercise and needing it frequently, and hyper as having no off switch and being a tad neurotic)
  • Gets along well with other dogs (this is a MUST)
  • Good with kids (another MUST)
  • Easy grooming
  • Minimal shedding
  • Solid tempered
  • Spunky with lots of personality
  • Tolerates heat and humidity
    I am not interested in: 
  • Flat faces such as Boxers, Boston Terriers, Pugs, French Bulldogs (sorry, Mom!), ect. It's just too humid, and I want a dog that has the energy and stamina needed to keep up with Nola.
  • Labs, Goldens, Pit Bulls or bully breeds of any kind
  • Absolutely no dog or human aggressive breeds
  • Our fence is only about 5ft tall, so no escape artist like Huskies


     Let's hear it!

Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy


36 comments:

  1. I won't make any suggestions as yoiu have a good list started, but just fair warning....Pembroke Welsh Corgis (and my beloveds, the Cardigans) SHED LIKE CRAZY!!!!!If you don't want to vacuum every single day, please do not consider a corgi. The thick double coat would be a bit hot for Florida as well, but since you go to the beach, swimming might help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's some announcement! We thought you were gonna announce that you joined the traveling rodeo and were hitting the road, but holy guacamole, you sure surprised us!

    We can't comment on the breeds bcuz some of them we've never met in the furs, so we wish you luck with your selection.

    Just remember, big dog's eat more! Oh, oh, oh.... How 'bout a great dane?

    Good luck DM with your search.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    p.s. Someday, can you give us an update on all your farm animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long ago we had a toy poodle in our pack and Princess was NEVER a problem and was long-lived (19 years). So guess we'd vote for the standard poodle (or how about a mid-sized poodle?) Then there's always the "Labra-Doodle". :)

    Hap-Pee Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never owned any of the breeds but after reading most of the pros/cons: would you consider visiting Petfinder and typing in your top few breed choices? You can opt to search for a puppy there, and most of the ones displayed will be mixes of your chosen breeds. The search results will put the closest results (geographically) first. Rescue groups will help you find a young pup though it may take a bit of time; Toby was 8 weeks old when we rescued him, the exact age a breeder would let you take your puppy home. Just a thought to consider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offense or anything, but they said they don't want a "rescue dog". Good luck with Toby! :)

      ;-)

      Delete
    2. No offense taken; she said she "wasn't totally disregarding rescues". I really wasn't trying to push anything, and hope it wasn't taken that way.

      Delete
  5. This will be fun to watch to see what you end up with. Like Taryn pointed out ... Corgis (both kinds) SHED LIKE CRAZY!! They are wonderful dogs, but that is their downside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I (Frankie Furter) have a suggestion... since you want a LARGE dog... let me send ERNIE to you... he is the largest dachshund I have EVER seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know much about dogs, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you considered the Swedish Vallhund? Similar to corgis, but with slightly longer legs (more like what corgis looked like before conformation showing emphasized the shortness of the legs so much). They also can have either long or short tails, and both are fine. They have probably the same downsides as the corgis, but I think fewer health issues. You might also think of the cardigan corgi, since the tail dock is a negative in your list above, and cardis keep their full tails. Let me tell you, my experience with Pallo tells me that corgis shed like all get out- something I wasn't prepared for having had just Koira to begin with. It is so much worse than you think it will be.

    If you decide to go with a Brittany, I personally know this breeder: http://www.knollbrookbrittanys.com/ and have seen a number of her dogs, including some in flyball, where they seem to be enthusiastic and happy to play, but certainly not over the top crazy like some flyball dogs tend to be.

    With the hounds, make sure you can put up with the baying. I personally can't stand the sound of baying and it would drive me up a wall- I know this because I found a coonhound as a stray and kept it for less than 24 hours, in which time I figured out I have zero patience for baying!

    All of the RRs I've met have been great. I know a few breeders and a number of RR people involved in lure coursing, so could probably dig up some good breeder recommendations if you decide to go with that breed.

    Overall, good luck! Everyone has their list of dream dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second your comment about baying hounds! As much as I love the sweet face of a hound I cannot stand the baying either! We use to watch my Aunt's Beagle for her whenever she went out of town and his baying drove us all crazy! LOL.

      Delete
  9. I don't know much about those breeds. My sister had a papilion and it was dumb as mud. Could have been the owner though. Torrey is a mini aussie and smart as a whip, and at 30 pounds a little big for the breed standard. Not a heat lover though, I do keep her clipped short though and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no opinion on this topic because I have a pug and an adopted mutt. But I can't wait to see what you guys get!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was not expecting this to be your announcement at all! But I'm very happy and excited for you! :) You have a great list going, I can't think of a breed to add (except the obvious from me: Collie. Haha). The only breeds on this list that I've met in person are the Dachshund, Corgi and Poodle. The standard Poodles that I met were incredible. SO well behaved and so soft and sweet and absolutely no shedding. The miniature Poodles that I have met have been incredibly annoying and mean, but I suspect they also had little to no training. The grooming they require is a downside though, I agree with you.

    Corgis are just freaking adorable. But I happen to have a huge soft spot for most herding breeds. ;) All the Corgis that I have met (which I'll admit has only been about 2 or 3) have been super sweet and very friendly and outgoing. But from previous comments, it sounds like they shed like crazy, which is something to consider.

    Obviously you know all about Dachshunds. If you decide to get another one, you should get a wire haired one, because they look like sweet little old men to me. I just wanna dress them in sweater vests and thick rimmed glasses. ;)

    I know nothing but what you've stated about the Smooth Fox Terrier, but from what you said they sound like they may be an excellent choice for you and Nola! Not to mention they're super adorable.

    Good luck with your search! Can't wait to see what breed you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is so exciting! I hope you find the perfect pooch for your pack, no matter what breed you choose. This will be a fun and exciting adventure for you.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, Pol Comm

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a varied list. We know a few ridgebacks and they're very lovely dogs. But we're sure the others have great qualities, too. Good for you for researching dogs to find a breed that will fit with your life. It would be nice if others did it.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool announcement! Don't know anything about those breeds but Dina is a terrier/papillion mix so yay! for those breeds. Can't wait to see what you pick.

    Dina Mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well...being a poodle (even if a mini one!) myself I was going to suggest a standard, but you've already got them listed! You ARE correct about the grooming though...mom tends to get me groomed about one ever month and a half. To save money she has considered learned to groom me herself, which is always an option! Some breeds we didn't notice you might consider are Australian Cattle Dogs, Border Collies, Airedale Terriers, Belgian Malinois, and Weimaraners.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I personally love Papillons. I have a friend who owns SAR Bloodhounds, and helps with Bloodhound rescue. She says that many end up in rescue because of behavioral problems that are a part of the breed. They are stubborn, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you thought about a Beagle? You seem to like some of the hound dogs, and beagles are a bit smaller than the ones you picked. Our beagles are great with kids, they LOVE kids as a matter of fact. We have two different sizes a 25 lb and a 35 lb. They don't shed too much, there's minimal grooming, and ours have been quite healthy. (they're 9 and 13 now). Beagles have a rep for being big barkers, but ours are not.
    Anyway, good luck on your decision, that is a very exciting! We just brought home a new puppy a month ago, and it has been so much fun!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow what a list! I wouldn't get the Smooth Fox Terrier........waaaay too hyper......I am partial to the Rhodesian Ridgeback and the Vizsla....a lot of these are super active breeds......are you sure Nola isn't too spoiled for another dog??????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whhhoooa! This is exciting. May the best doggie win. I know of a mastiff breeder in CA.
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks as if you've done your research. I love Bloodhounds but if you have an aversion to drooling, take them off of your list. My Golden and Basset are droolers, but I just carry a drool cloth. It doesn't bother me. Fox Terriers tend to be a hyper breed. All dogs that need to be "officially" groomed are expensive over time. I'm sure that you'll make the right choice for your family. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's really good to consider other breeds... even if you end up choosing the same one as you already have. My one caution would be to think hard about how much exercise a hound, pointer, or viszla might need to remain sane (I have friends who run with those breeds daily). Perhaps that would fit in your life easily but it's worth thinking about. A Standard Poodle might need a lot too.

    How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We is so happy fur you!! Whatever pup you choose it will be a lucky one fur sure!

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and Max

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mom Kim here - you know my vote is for a Beagle. If I could get a larger dog then my vote would possibly go to the Rhodesian Ridgeback or the Vizsla - I don't know much about them except from what I hear on TV or have read about and I have seen a few at dog shows - I love the look of the RR and I know they have loads of stamina but not hyper - Vizslas are also high on stamina. About the Beagle bay - personally I love it and if I was out in the middle of 20 acres or more then I would love it even more however I have neighbors within a few feet who may not love it as much as I do. Shiloh'n Diva Shasta do bark but I know there are much quieter Beagles and S;n SD rarely bark indoors unless the doorbell rings. PLEASE don't believe what some "experts" would have you believe in that Beagles are not as dumb as they say - you just have to find what it is that will make them learn and since most are chow hounds then that means food. Beagles are great with kids - I have only heard or read that they are greatg with other dogs. Shiloh is my big boy at an average of 38 pounds whereas Diva Shasta is a bit smaller and a little more petite at 27 pounds. And I believe I have heard they are good in all kinds of weather. I would recommend that if you did go with a Beagle then get one from show stock - they are usually (not always) the quieter ones. Beagles do shed but it is minimal and daily brushing will help with that.

    I am impressed with all the research you have done and you have come up with quite a list. I love your announcement and can't wait to see the final outcome.
    Mom Kim

    ReplyDelete
  24. Howdy Mates, good luck with your new addition whatever it might be. We've not had any of the breeds mentioned but if the Brittany is similar to a cocker spaniel they might be good. Our cockers have been great family dogs especially with kids. Look forward to seeing the new member. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)
    P.S. If you were really kerazy like us you could get a great dane!! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How exciting! All I've had is basset hounds and westies, so no real advice. But looking forward to meeting the new pup!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to put a plug in for a GBGV. There is a breeder right in Florida where actually Bailie's mom came from. We don't shed, we have wire hair that needs to be stripped a few times a year. Since we are quite rare and not over bred, we have very few health issues. Adult females are around 40lbs, we are super friendly, extremely funny, and very loving. If you would like more information on the breed email me at MyGBGVLife@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. First, congrats on making the decision to get another pup! That is so exciting! YOu have quite the list going on here, lots of variety and I can tell you have put so much thought into it! One breed that I don't see that I think might be good for you is a Shiba Inu. We have a Shiba friend at the park that is on the smaller side and she has great energy, is super friendly and intelligent. Not sure about their shedding though.

    Good luck, I look froward to following along with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm just going to go through your list and do each breed one by one well except for the dachshund. :P

    Bloodhound: They smell. I haven't met one that hasn't and bathing them 3-4 times won't fix it. They just have a horrible body odor that doesn't come out.

    Redbone Coonhound: I haven't had any experience with these.

    Pembroke Corgi: They shed like crazy. They also hate having their nails done just as much as dachshunds do.

    Rhodesian Ridgeback: I used to have a client that bred them. They were lovely dogs.

    German Shorthair Pointer: Hyper active. This dog needs some serious exercise, think many hours a day. They need a job to do and will eat your house if they don't have one.

    Visla: Not as hyper as the GSP. The ones I have met have been very shy and one of them was fear aggressive.

    Standard Poodle: Obviously the grooming. Grooming is a pain in the ass and can be very expensive. You can learn how to groom yourself but it's not as easy as it looks and owner injury to the dog from self grooming is pretty high. Not only that, they have to be groomed for life so when the dog is old and can barely stand grooming becomes painful, stressful, horrible. They can't stand for very long and it can take hours to groom them. The price will likely increase. You also have a chance at getting a dog that hates grooming, no matter what and has to be sedated which quadruples the price. If you get one of these you will be spending a lot of time on grooming, unless you keep it shaved short. They need to be groomed professionally at least once a month if you don't want to keep the body clipped short. The fancy clips every other week at a professional.

    Papillon: Will need grooming, they do need regular brushing to make sure their coat doesn't mat up. Especially around the ears and backend. The backend will need trimming to keep it clean. Most of the papillons that I've met have been lovely. There's been 2 in my career that were aggressive, they were related.

    Brittany: These are nice dogs. They are generally really sweet and easy to work with. They do require grooming though. Most of the owners keep them clipped short and do it a few times a year.

    Smooth Fox: These guys are really spirited. Well, it's a terrier. LOL The ones I've met have been high strung and busy. They need a job to do.

    Okay, so that's it. :D Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

    IMO I'd skip the Spoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay so I just re-read your requirements and you said: "Energetic and high energy without being hyper (I see high energy as the dog liking exercise and needing it frequently, and hyper as having no off switch and being a tad neurotic)"

    In that case, I would skip the GSP. They are exactly what you don't want. No off switch until they are 10. I'm not kidding. They are hyper and neurotic. Like the sporting version of a malinois.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh and recommendations. I can't not recommend my favorite breed. :P I think you should get a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno or a Medio. :D Also, my other favorite is the Ibizan and if you want one of those I have contacts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. For what it's worth you might also consider whippets or greyhounds, the border terrier (very popular indeed in Scotland), standard schnauzer (not giant), the nova scotia duck tolling retriever and the manchester terrier. All have good energy levels and have nice temperaments. Also, they're are a better size than Ridgebacks or Bloodhounds which are HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Off topic, how do you keep Nola's teeth so beautifully clean?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ooohh! So exciting! I vote doxie all the way :0)
    You know, us doxie lovers can never have enough of them. Seriously, though, I have had smooth doxies my whole life and Taffy is the first wire I've known. Her personality is very different from any smooths I've had. She is more laid back and comical. Less of the "attitude" all my other doxies have had. Sometimes I think she can't be a doxie. I know personality really depends on the dog but just wanted to let you know what I think. How about a basset? Bigger, but still a long and short hound. It will be fun to see what you decide and how you make the decision. Thanks for letting us give our input too!
    Hugs to you!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!