This is where you all come in! I have not decided what breed this dog will be. I'm sure most of you are thinking "hold the phone, she's not getting another Dachshund?!", and that's a valid question. A Dachshund is not off the table; in fact, they're still very high on my list. However, I miss having larger dogs. Before Miss Nola, we had Mastiffs and a Lab. I don't want to go that big, but I do enjoy and miss having a larger dog.
I'm going to share with you the dogs that are currently on my list, what I like and what I don't like about them, and then I'm going to write what I'm looking for in a breed. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share! If you have a responsible breeder you know of, please leave their name in the comments below, or email me here.
|Another minion to |
Since I know this question will come up at least once, I'm going to nip it in the bud: I am not looking to adopt a mixed breed, or get a dog from a rescue. It's an extremely hot topic in the dog community, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, I've thought long and hard about where I want this dog to come from, and I've made the best decision for my family, and for us that means getting a puppy from a responsible breeder. Nola, the ring leader and Head Bitch of All She Surveys, does best with puppies so she can train them to become proper minions. Not to mention the fact that my dogs are around kids, and I want to raise a puppy to accept and behave around both kids and other animals. I'm not saying that rescue dogs can't be taught those things, and I'm not saying a puppy from a breeder is a guarantee. I'm merely stating that I have the best chance of getting and training what I need from a breeder. I am not totally disregarding rescues; if a litter of small puppies comes into our local shelter I would consider adopting one.
Any rude comments on this topic will be removed. :) Sorry about that, Blogville, but it's happened before and I don't want it happening again!
Okay, now that that's out of the way, here are the breeds I'm consider:
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
German Shorthaired Ponter
|Similar to the GSP above, but slightly softer in temper. Docked breed.|
Smooth Fox Terrier
So that's my list! It's pretty varied, and it's beed added to and edited more times than I can count, but these breeds tend to stay on it. I'd love your opinions, and suggestions you have! Here is what I'm looking for, so you can better guess:
- 5-80lbs, but ideally 20-45lbs.
- Long lived
- Energetic and high energy without being hyper (I see high energy as the dog liking exercise and needing it frequently, and hyper as having no off switch and being a tad neurotic)
- Gets along well with other dogs (this is a MUST)
- Good with kids (another MUST)
- Easy grooming
- Minimal shedding
- Solid tempered
- Spunky with lots of personality
- Tolerates heat and humidity
I am not interested in:
- Flat faces such as Boxers, Boston Terriers, Pugs, French Bulldogs (sorry, Mom!), ect. It's just too humid, and I want a dog that has the energy and stamina needed to keep up with Nola.
- Labs, Goldens, Pit Bulls or bully breeds of any kind
- Absolutely no dog or human aggressive breeds
- Our fence is only about 5ft tall, so no escape artist like Huskies
Let's hear it!