Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I Thought This Was Florida! + Trials and Registration

     Hey, everyone! I gotta show you something totally crazy:


This is the forecast! You're reading that right; SNOW IN FLORIDA! And not just little flurries that melt on contact, no sir. 1 to 2" of accumulation! I'm so excited! I've never seen snow. DM: and I haven't seen snow since I was....7? 8?
Better bundle up!


     I'm also super psyched for a few other reasons, and for this, I shall break out the bullets.

  • Mom finally picked a registered name for my AKC Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL), so we can get that printed out and sent out soon. My official name is Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler (pronounced "LE-say LAY bon Temps RUE-lay"), call name Nola.  Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler means "Let the good times roll" in Cajun French. It's a phrase that's used quite frequently in New Orleans and in reference to Mardi Gras, and since I'm named after New Orleans it's a perfect fit!
Let the good times roll!

  • I'm going to an Earthdog trial February 15-16th! The first part of the trial would just be a sort of aptitude test for me, and if I passed and enjoyed that I'd move on to the Juniour Earthdog Test part of the trial.
What I shall do to the rat once I find it.
DM: Not really, since they're safely in a cage and out of Jaw's reach, but a girl can dream. ;)

  • I also have a Rally Novice trial to attend on March 1st (or 2nd; Mom needs to double check). I've been working really hard to train for this, and I have everything down except for my left finish, which is coming along nicely.

Focus has never been an issue for Nola.


     I'm going to be pretty busy, but I'm really excited for it!

     DM: Not only do I really enjoy training with Nola, I take an enormous amount of pride in her abilities and how I showcase that just because she's a "difficult" (to some people; to me she's a breeze) breed to train and motive doesn't mean she's any less capable of earning titles and being a well trained companion.
She earned her AKC Canine Good Citizen award at just 2 years old (practically a teenager still for a Dachshund), and it's been my goal to put at least a Rally Novice (RN) title on her. I'd like to go further with her in that, and I'd also like to try and get a Junior Earthdog (JE) title on her as well as a Coursing Ability Test (CAT). The vast majority of Dachshund and small dog owners don't do anything with their dogs, not even basic obedience, and that makes me sad. It also creates a bad image for those owners like myself that work to dispel the notion that small dogs are "useless", "impossible to train", "ankle biters", ect. It's my mission with Nola to be a good breed ambassador and a good ambassador for small dogs.

Kisses and Tail Wags and Hugs,
Dachshund Nola and Dachshund Mommy

21 comments:

  1. Snow?? OMD Do you live in the same Florida that I live in, Nola? I don't think I wanna see SNOW!!! (Whatever that is)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUH??? I also meant to congratulate you on all your successes. I think the SNOW word froze my brain!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow? What? Snow? Sure hope it doesn't snow at our house, that would be miserable! Thought we left that white stuff behind in NY.

    That sure is a long, long name Nola. Hope it's OK to still call you Nola bcuz that's much easier for us. We're soooo proud of you sweetie bcuz you are such a good girl in all that you do.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....that's going to be cold. Have fun in your first snow. I love your official name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are glad that you have a good warm Coat fur this Cold time... We are wearing OURS.. Every time we go out... it was -10 on our hill this AM.
    Stay WARM and SAFE...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The oranges are going to go nutty if it snows. You do look prepared Nola
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bet the people of Florida weren't expecting that.
    That is quite the set of gnashers you have there Nola!
    Dip and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  8. We hope you get to enjoy some snow like we do, but stay safe because we know you don't have the proper equipment to clean off your roads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow! How exciting--when you don't have it all the time. Your temps look like our WINTER temps.

    Earthdogging...we'd love to try that, but no one does it around here.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you. Mr. N can't compete in Earthdog but we've tried Barn Hunt. He loves coursing (and I think Nola would too) and he has the first title.
    I was thinking about trying to get a CGC on Onyxx (foster dog) but apparently the AKC won't let foster dogs take the test.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun in the snow- trust me it is great fun!

    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't limit yourself! With the drivey little girl that Nola is and your love of training, I am sure Nola can goes all the way to a RAE!

    Snow in FL! Oh, boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snow isn't so bad, Nola...so long as it's only little bits! It's actually kind of fun! It also sounds like you've gonna be a busy lady...We love your PAL name - very fitting! Best of luck on your upcoming rally trial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snow??!! Yes please!!!!! Shoot, we never gets snow here either, thou, just like your Moms, we did gets it when Ma was about 9, and it was FABulous accordin' to her, so I hopes you get out in your coat, and get in some snow zoomies!!
    Oh, and maybe you can send your Moms over here to train Moi....at least that what Ma wants...I thinks I'm just pawfect the way I am....
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. We wish you all the best with all your training and competing Nola and we hope you don't mind if we just call you Nola cause while we think your PAL name rocks, we know we will forget it or get it wrong! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cool - you are learning so much, Nola! I love your fancy name.

    And SNOW!!! How cool is that that (or cold, you might say)?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the trials, and love the name! Je parle un peu de Francais!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are having such cold weather here in Louisiana,too. The snow went south of us though! You are doing great in your training! Of course, I LOVE her official name!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have fun in the snow,it is fun!!!!
    What a cool name Nola
    Wags
    Jazzi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Snow in Florida?! What?! Petal is so mad her snow dance worked for everyone but herself, hahaha. I'm excited for you guys though! I hope Nola loves it! :D

    I love the name you chose! Great, fun choice. I hope you two have a blast together. I'm sure you will and I'm sure Nola will do wonderfully. :)

    Also, I just want to say that I think it's awesome that you and Nola work so hard together and work to change people's perception of little dogs. I'll be honest and say that I use to say that I would NEVER own a little dog, because every little dog I've met in person has been a pain! Since reading your blog, I've realized that not ALL little dogs are like that and now I think I would actually really love to have a small dog one day. So thank you for changing the way I look at small breeds! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!