Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Review Day

     Hey, y'all! It's review day again! So, thanks to our POS internet that was out last Thursday when I needed to post a review day, I'm going to have to do 8 reviews today. Blame Mediacom. They blow. And they're also the only provider here besides Comcast, which blows even more than Mediacom does. Hmpf.


    First up we have a few products from Coastal Pet Products. Coastal Pet Products makes things for dogs and cats, from grooming supplies to collars to toys. They also make equine products. I was sent the following things to review:
Adjustable H Style Cat Harness
Safari Shed Magic for Shorthaired Cats
Easy Rider Sport Car Harness, XS
Travel Right Seatbelt Anchor
BOL that kitty looks just like mine!









     The kitteh harness is nice, easy to put on, and the cats didn't mind using it (sorry, didn't get a picture! They're not the most photogenic creatures). The brush worked really well, but oddly enough worked best on the longhaired cats instead of the shorthaired one. It worked almost as well as the Furminator, and didn't irritate the cats' skin.

     The car harness I wasn't too thrilled with. Even though it was my size, the metal slides dug into me, the neck sat high and rubbed, and girth strap sat right behind my legs making it uncomfortable to move. With the recent issues with car harnesses being more dangerous than just tethering your dog in place with a regular harness (lots of car harnesses, even the crash tested ones, have caused decapitation!!!), I used it once and won't again.

     Now the tether I did like. It buckles right in, so you don't have to mess around with the car's seatbelt. The length is adjustable and it have a metal loop you can thread through the above harness or any harness with a loop on the back, like my beloved Ruffwear Webmaster harness.


     Up next is a review for New Forest Crafts, an Etsy shop that makes leather collars (both buckle and martingale), wallets, harnesses and bracelets.
They made a custom collar for my sister/minion, Boston. Pink leather with black leather padding, 1" wide, silver pyramid studs.

     We liked the collar overall; it's very soft, flexible and comfortable, the prices are great ($15-$25 for a collar) and the shipping was fast considering it came from the UK.
It held up good for the price and quality. One of the studs did fall off after 2 months of daily wear, though. It does attract dirt, but the collar cleans up well with a bit of leather cleaner.

     3/5 stars.


     Now we have Acadia Antlers, a company offering moose antlers chews. Here's their mission statement:

   I was sent a Moose Taster Slice, an S Moose Rac (antler rope toy) and a Moose Antler Tynes. I didn't care for the Moose Rac or the Moose Antler, but OMD I freaking LOVED their Moose Taster Slices! LOVED them.


This was my favorite by far.




     Acadia Antlers says that moose antlers are the hardest, followed by elk and then deer as the softest. I've heard the opposite to be true; moose is softest, then elk and deer is the hardest. I've had all 3 kinds, and I can say that the moose was definitely the softest (and tastiest). Mom worries with deer and elk that they might crack my teeth or splitter, but she's happy to give me moose because it's softer and she can't see how it'd splinter.

     Their prices are good, considering how long an antler last. The Moose Taster Slice lasted me nearly 2 months before the piece got to choking hazard size and Mom took it away.
      I give AA my highest rating of 5/5 stars!


      Prime Pet Supply offered me a $25 giftcard to their store in exchange for me to test them out and tell y'all my experience. I was really impressed with them! I loved how they offer only high quality food, treats, and toys. Their shipping was fast, their customer service good, and their prices on target.


     Now we have a cute little bed from PupsEct, an Etsy shop that offers beds, toys, blankets, accessories and clothing. You can also find them on Facebook here.
I was sent their PupSofa Bolster Bed in leopard print to review.


I liked it! It's cute, comfy, a good size, well padded and soft. The customer service was good, and the bed arrived quickly.
The bed is washable, but I imagine that it would take quite a while to dry since you'd have to toss the whole bed in the wash. They're also rather expensive for the size.

     4/5 stars.



     Next up is a leather martingale collar from LongDog Leather Works. Despite the name, the shop owners don't have Dachshunds as far as I know. :p


     I'm primarily walked on a harness, but when I am on a collar I can slip standard ones. Martingale collars tighten when pulled on enough so the dog can't slip the collar, but not tight enough to choke the dog. Mom also likes my martingales to be a minimum of 1" wide, preferably 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" wide. The LongDog Leather Works collar (in my size) is 1.75" and tapers down to 0.75" at the control loop. A wider collar disperses pressure better than a thin collar, making it safer on my neck in the event I pulled.




     The leather was soft and supple, the control loop easy to adjust and the collar seems very high quality. The buckle on the control loop stuck out quite a bit, making the collar look extra bulky, which I didn't like.

     4/5 stars.


   Now we've got EZ X Harness.com. EZ X harnesses are "single strap sport harnesses". The company also makes collars, leashes and seatbelt adaptors. Here's a bit about them:

EZ X Harness is a new company located in Mammoth Lakes, California.  We are Patented on a Revolutionary and Innovative style of Dog Harness. Our story follows below.

In early 2006, the Vizsla puppy we were so eagerly waiting for was ready to come home.  She was beautiful, a little bundle of red velvet full of love, puppy kisses and an infinite amount of joy.  She was our first puppy and we wanted to be the best parents we could be.  We read all the books we could find on her breed, training, etc.  We worked with a professional trainer her first year and she excelled.  She did and does, however, Like To Lead.  Walking our 50 pound energetic little girl 2 to 3 times a day can get to be a “Real Drag” if you know what we mean.  We tried the different head halters and she either got out of them or didn’t want to go out.  We tried a choke chain and she choked.  We tried several harnesses but nothing really solved the problem.  Then two years ago my husband had knee surgery and I was the one doing the walking.  I noticed a couple of things that limited her pulling and after trial and retrial the EZ X Harness was born.  We Love it- She loves it and not only is it comfortable for her but it is super easy to put on, take off and provides Great Control.

This is not a Step In harness.  The fixed placement of the cross strap across the chest proved to be the single most compelling feature.  This exerts precise pressure and control without causing any Choking, Chafing or discomfort of any kind when fitted properly.  

With many of our harnesses now in use, we have had nothing but positive feedback and are now excited about sharing the EZ X Harness with you!

Collar they sent me






      The harnesses are easy and quick to take on and off, the customer service is wonderful (the first harnesses they sent me didn't fit, so they sent me TWO that did!) and the harnesses are light and cool to wear.
You attach the leash to two D rings on the back of the harness, which can be a little awkward if your leash clip is small. I also think the D rings hookup would be much easier if the rings were horizontally placed instead of vertically as they are. The way they're set now makes the harness tend to twist around quite a bit, on my shape at least.

     3.5/5 stars



     And finally we have the Thundershirt. I'm sure most of y'all know what that is, but in case you don't:

ThunderShirt uses gentle hugging to calm your dog or cat. With its patented design, ThunderShirt’s gentle, constant pressure has a dramatic calming effect for most dogs and cats if they are anxious, fearful or overexcited. Based on surveys completed by over two thousand customers, over 80% of dogs and cats show significant improvement in symptoms when using ThunderShirt. ThunderShirt is already helping hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats around the world and is recommended by thousands of veterinarians and trainers. How does ThunderShirt work? Experts believe that pressure has a calming effect on the nervous system, possibly by releasing a calming hormone like endorphins. Using pressure to relieve anxiety in people and animals has been a common practice for years.





     I have a solid temperament and not much makes me nervous (not even the vet!). But I do have two things that make a little scared; nail clipping (counter conditioning has helped immensely with it) and I have separation anxiety. My sister/minion, Boston, is a bundle of nerves and has issues with everything from storms to separation anxiety fireworks to just general anxiety. Mom was excited to be able to test it on two different dogs with polar opposite temperaments!

     The Thundershirt is held on by several patches of velcro; at the neck and twice at the chest. I had no issue being fitted for it, but Boston didn't like how loud the velcro was.
It comes in three colors: grey, pink and blue. Embroidery is an option, and they make Thundershirts for cats, too!

HOW IT WORKED FOR ME:

     NAIL TRIMMING: Helped hugely. Counter conditioning has made me tolerate nail trimming quite well, but I still don't love it and before the Thundershirt Mom couldn't trim my back nails. If I wear the Thundershirt, I'm way more relaxed and Mom can actually trim my back nails.

     SEPARATION ANXIETY: Helped a lot. I have a pink baby blanket in my crate, and before the shirt when Mom would leave I'd shred the blanket and Mom would come home to little blanket pieces everywhere. I do fine in my crate, and go in there to nap all the time. I just don't like it when Mom leaves!
With the shirt, I only tore off one or two pieces of my blanket. That's huge for me!


HOW IT WORKED FOR BOSTON:

     In short, it didn't. Boston hated the sound of the velcro, hated wearing it and didn't want to move when it was on. It didn't help her issues, and Mom felt it made them a little worse when she wore it.

     As you can see, it's kind of hit or miss on whether it'll work or not. Thundershirt does offer a guarantee it'll work or you can return it for a refund, which is nice.

    One issue I did have is that it's not very long, and was more of a Thundervest on me. I'm used to stuff not fitting right, but the shortness was a little excessive!

     4/5 stars.


     Whew, now I'm tired! Thanks for piling all that on me, Mediacom!

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

   

11 comments:

  1. That's a heck load of reviews. But they're all awesome - the LongDog Leather Works collar is beautiful, that purple really suits you. Thanks for all the reviews.
    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same issues with the Thundershirt that you did with Boston. In short, it didn't work at all on Koira.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reviews Nola. Love the bed. We tried antlers once and they splintered. Mom freaked out to say the least
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of the thunder shirts. Those car harnesses look very sturdy and safe.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A leather martingale?!? Well, you just blew my pet budget for this month. :) Like Nola, Wilhelm isn't scared of much either, but I have wondered if a thundershirt would help him in rare situations where he gets stressed. Your review convinced me "no" because, like Boston, Wilhelm would also hate the velco and just hate wearing it in general. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive had some troubles with the pugs squirming out of their seatbelt harnesses, maybe this would be a better option. We have never had an issue with antlers but maybe we outta give these a try, softer is better with our old teeth.
    Thanks for the info

    urban hounds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool reviews! I liked hearing about the Moose antlers! Ma has refused to buy me antlers because I'm not really a chewer..unless I can eat the chew. But since these are softer, I might get that sensation of 'eating' while getting my chewin'!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee has an easy rider harness. We can't use it in the car as she can wiggle her way out, but use it for walking. Lee also has a thunder shirt, that seems to help a little. We are looking for Moose antlers next time we are at the store! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  9. That leopard bed is wild...did it make you wild sleeping in it? Don't like that longdog leather collar. It looks way too wide, almost like a neck brace or a collar that you borrowed from a greyhound!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's been more info released about harness crash tests now, it's very interesting. I think the site is call Centers for Pet Safety?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!