Monday, September 16, 2013

Heel Work, Trials and Names

     Hi, all! I mentioned it a few posts back, but I've learned a formal heel! My attention is fabulous, but Mom still wants to get me a bit closer and we're working on smoother, tighter and more fluid turns. The below video was taken a few days ago, and I'm already better than that.
                                            (if you can't see the video, go here)


     I thrive with training, so Mom and I are now working towards a Rally Novice title. So far the nearest trial Mom can find is in March, but if we can find one before that we'll enter it for sure.
Right now we're working on the more advanced obedience needed for Rally, like fronts, down/walk around dog, coming back to the heel position from front position, ect. DM: She picks things up so fast it's almost scary. She's always stuck close to me, and with just a few days of capturing and luring she had the heel you see above. She is literally the smartest, quickest dog I've ever met, and she's such a joy to train. She's doing so well!


      Tying in with my Rally training, I now need to be registered with the AKC's Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) so I can compete and title in AKC events. We aren't doing UKC events because there are none in our area, and Mom is more familiar with the AKC.
Only problem is you have to come up with a registered name, and Mom's not very good at that shocking, I know.
DM: For her registered name, it has to be 30 characters or under. I need your suggestions! I want a something that reflects her namesake, New Orleans. The name doesn't have to say Nola in it, since that's her call name regardless, but if you can think of something that has Nola in it and flows well, go for it!
So far I'm considering the following names:
AK's Borbon St. Beauty 
Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler (I really like this one)
AK's Masked Lady
AK's French Quarter Queen
She's Livin' La Vida Loca (totally not related to her namesake, and really cheesy, but the song makes me think of crazy girl)


     So tell me your favorite, or suggest your own! 

     Yes, the woman needs help, and with more than just my registered name.

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola
     


18 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB Nola and DM!!! We are really impressed with your training. We see that you got video bombed by Phee :)

    As far as a name goes, that's a tough one. We kind of like Bourbon Street Beauty butt that's bcuz we can't pronounce the other one.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler- that is so Nola!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm voting: Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler!!! So cute! What do you think I should do...Gatsby is 5 years old and is a purebred Cairn. I've always had his papers, but I'm not sure if I should send them in. I would like to give him a fancy name, but I've never done registration, so I just don't know. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Phee tried to crash your video! You are doin' good, girl! How about New Orleans Petite Fleur?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in NO for a year. What a great city! I came home with 2 cats who I named Jazz and Cajun.

    How about Cajun Cutie or All Jazzed Up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the French Quaters in New Orleans, so my vote goes to that. Good job with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler is our favourite!

    Dina and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing what quick progress you are making Nola, well done!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an excellent heal and we think all the names are great! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a legend, Nola.

    We get our names from our breeders...

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & roxy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler is definitely the best name...Nola's heel is great...i've been working on it with Giz and he's getting better but we're still pretty slow in the 360* turns

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nola, you are doing a great job and you look so happy too! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go, Nola - you're a star. Here's a crazy idea - "Blogville's Nola"! I know it doesn't fit your criteria... but I had to blurt it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful beach and gorgeous dog - winning combination! Remember for the AKC name that it can't be one that someone else has used! Bentley is Splendors Blackbeard Bentley Beau and Baylee is Splendors Baylee Alexandra Victoria (elegant name for an elegant dog!)Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!