Thursday, August 22, 2013

Review Day

     Hey, y'all! It's review day again, but before I get to that I wanted to address a comment from Tuesday's post. It was from Emma the GBGV, and she mentioned that she didn't realize I'm so small. It's true, I look bigger in pictures than I really am. I'm 11lbs, and just under 10" tall at the withers (shoulders). Here are some pictures that show my real size:


Mom's 5' 7", to give you an idea of my height.



   Now onto the review! First up is a collar from Hounds 2 Designs, a company that makes beautiful collars (both martingale and quick release), leashes and the popular Freedom No-Pull harness. Here's a little about them:


Raise your hand if you are a collar addict....Yeah? Me too.
Alisha and 3 Hounds (taken 2006)My 2 Hounds Design adventure began in 2003 when I needed an outlet for my creative energy and wanted to find that special martingale dog collar for my two retired racing Greyhounds. What started out as a way to create something special for my own hounds turned into my passion and I am lucky to be living my dream, and doing what I love.
My educational background is in Physics (B.S., and M.S.) and Mathematics (B.A.). The research skills I learned in school and in my short career as a Project Manager combined with my creative side is what fuels me.
What started as a one-woman show has turned into a team effort. I have hand selected my team of employees so that each person has different strengths that help make 2HD who we are today. I am lucky to live in what used to be a textile Mecca, where a large part of the world's furniture was once sewn. Many of those jobs have gone overseas, so it really means a lot to me to be able to help employ some of the people who have lost their jobs.
My team and I have worked long and hard to perfect the art of collar making. We only use premium hardware, first quality fabrics, and all of our collars are available lined with a super soft cuddle satin lining. We spend a great deal of time searching and establishing relationships with fabric and ribbon dealers all over the world. From Hand loomed Laotian Silk to French Jacquard Ribbon to Asian Silk Brocades, and even Scalamandre Silks, I choose each fabric or ribbon myself to create a stunning selection of dog collars!
And the best part? I am able to give more and do more for the canine community than I ever could if I worked a 9-5 job. We often donate products for fundraisers, we have hosted several programs in which a percentage of profits from a particular collar collection were given to groups, and we love hosting auctions to help raise money for adoption groups. In the almost 10 years that we have been in business, we have helped raise more than $500,000 for adoption groups all over the world.



      I picked the pretty teal cherry blossom collar to test out, in quick release style. The material of the collar makes it a bad idea for every day use, but is beautiful for outings or special occasions. My neck is just under 11", so Hounds 2 Designs made me a collar just for my size (goes from 7-12").
Their collars come in these sizes: XS (7-11"), S (10-14"), M (14-18"), L (16-20"), XL (20-26"), XXL (26-32") and they make custom sizes if you're bigger or smaller than that. They also come in four styles (martingale, quick release martingale, quick release and tag collar), 3 widths (1", 1.5" and 2") and two hardware choices (brass or silver).





PROS:
Pretty
Lots of choices
Durable from the use I gave it
Lots of sizes
Good customer service
Well made
Made in USA
Company is very involved in rescue

CONS:
A bit expensive
I wish the D ring on the smaller sized collars wasn't so thick. It wouldn't fit my Rubit tag clip; in fact Mom broke one of them trying to get it on!

     4/5 stars.

     Up next is a review of Himalayan Dog Chews, both their chewy and their Yaky Nuggets. Here's a bit about them:

Himalayan Dog Chew comes from an ancient recipe of the people of the Himalayas. In the mountains at more than 15,000 feet, it is made using traditional methods with Yak and Cow Milk, and all natural products with no chemicals or preservatives.   

The idea of Himalayan Dog Chew began in 2005 when two friends - Suman and Nishes - discovered that a popular mountain treat was loved by their dogs. One day, Nishes invited Suman to his house for dinner he spotted Nishes’s dog chewing on Himalayan hard cheese that are chewed by the people of the Himalayas for centuries. Out of curiosity, the founders tried the cheese on more dogs of their friends and families. The result encouraged the founders to do extensive research about the cheese for canine purpose for four years.   On Sunday, September 2nd of 2007, Himalayan’s first product – the Himalayan Dog Chew – was sold in a small dog show Fair in Bellingham, Washington. 
After producing Himalayan Dog Chew at Nishes’s kitchen for three months, the operation was moved to Seattle under Sujan K Shrestha’s leadership in January 2008.   Under guidance and support from Mr. Ram Bahadur Shrestha, Himalayan Corporation was then founded (incorporated in the State of Washington) by the two friends, along with Sujan and Surendra Shrestha in late 2008. 
The following year, our products were available at stores across US and Canadian states. Started in the kitchen at Nishes's house, the operation finally moved to a 17,000 sq. ft. space at our current location in Mukilteo, Washington in 2011. At the same time, we launched our new lines of products - the Yaky Yam, Nugget and Puff.   Himalayan Dog Chew was first sold at a Fair in Bellingham, WA in 2007. Currently, our products are available at many stores in the USA, Canada and Japan, and employ 25 people in production and support. Remaining within the USDA and Washington States guides and rules, we implement codes and conduct at all levels and operations. We prioritize our customer's satisfaction as the highest for both - humans and canines.   We were recognized "Best in Show - Overall" by the The Daily News at the Global Pet Expo in 2011, where over 4,000 companies related to Pets participated from over 50 countries. In 2012, we were awarded the "Best in Show" in the New Dog Product Category which was competed by over 900 best companies of the world at the same expo.   

We are currently the corporate sponsor for support to build a new Dog Park in association with the City of Mukilteo and Japanese Gulch Group in Mukilteo, and for KAT Center to lessen the ongoing problems with street and stray dogs of Kathmandu. In addition to helping these canines of the world, we have also supported Healing the Children Foundation, who provide treatments to thousands of children around the globe, with medical trips including one to the Nepal Orthopedic Hospital and have donated laptops to various libraries of rural Nepal. With promotions for sustainable future and environment, we continue to find new ways to bring the best products and at the same time give back to help all who need them

     I really liked the chew! It lasted a good amount of time for me (hour and a half), didn't stink like bully sticks, didn't leave a mess and was very tasty.
The Yaky I could take or leave, but I'm a bit of a treat snob. They're a very hard treat (almost like a mini chew) and I prefer soft and smelly treats. The Minions 3 liked them though!







PROS:
Natural
Fairly healthy
Long lasting
No stink
No mess
Tasty


CONS:
Pricy

     Overall, I give them 4/5 stars.


     Now we have Thirsty Milo, which is a super cool portable doggie bowl and water holder. Here's a bit about it:

It's a doggy fact that dogs are made of 80‰ water and need to stay that way to be healthy, happy and active, so it's important to make sure there's always plenty of clean, fresh water available.
It's easy at home but, if your one the many dog lovers who love to share their lives and days with their dogs, ensuring your best friend has enough water to meet his/her needs, especially on hot days with the extra activity they rack up, can be a headache.
The story behind the bowl...
After I first fetched Milo home (and he'd had all his jabs) I wanted to take him everywhere with me. I looked for a portable water bowl that I thought met my life style needs as a dog owner that combined funk, fun, function, style, volume, true portability and ease of use. As it turns out, there wasn't one!
The name, if you're interested, came from me getting fed up of asking "Are you Thirsty Milo?". I designed a bowl so he wouldn't have to be...
Who's it for?
The Thirsty Milo® is ideal for anyone one really, especially those of us with eye for style and who like to share their lives and their days out and about with the four legged members of the family, such as:
  • Day Trips.
  • Road trips.
  • Train Journeys.
  • Bus/Coach Journeys.
  • Lazy days at the beach.
  • Great for the city and out in the sticks.
  • Boating. (and it's been designed to float (with the lid on), even when full, so you have don't have to say good bye if it ends up in the water.)
  • Or however you choose to fill your life. If you've got a dog you'll want one these bad boys...
  • It doesn't have to be just for the pooch. the Thirsty Milo has been put to great use by miniature horses ,cat lovers and even ferret lovers too...


     It's a great idea, and looks pretty cool too! I love how it floats even if you fill it, and it's lightweight even when full. It's great for hiking, boating, beach trips, car rides, or whatever you need! It comes in two colors (orange or pink), and is about $20 per bowl (I say about, because it's a British product and I'm using Google to convert the amount to USD).

     I have no clue what stupid iPhoto is doing, but each time I upload the pictures of the Thirsty Milo they come up as totally different pictures. GRRR! Here's what it looks like:

PROS:
Cool looking
Durable
Floats!
2 colors
Decent price
Light
Dishwasher safe
UV resistant
Recyclable
2 year guarantee
Holds a lot of water

CONS:
Only comes in one size, and when you're as small as I am it can be an excess for your peep to tote around.

     4/5 stars.


     And lastly we have Paww, a company that makes leashes, cool and inconspicuous poop bags, a bowl that turns into a Frisbee, and the Treat Toob.
I was sent the Pick Pocket Pouch (poop bag holder) and the Treat Toob to review.

     First up, the Pick Pocket Pouch (PPP). I love how the PPP doesn't flop and bounce around like traditional poop bag holders. It also doesn't add bulk and weight to the leash handle, and is inconspicuous unlike most obvious, ugly poop bag holders. It attaches to your dog's leash, collar or even harness with velcro. I found it worked best with nylon or rope leashes, as it slipped around a lot on my leather leash, even with the velcro tightened down all the way.


PROS:
Sleek
Inconspicuous
Attaches to leash, harness or collar
Several colors
Two sizes
Easy on, easy off

CONS:
Slips around on leather

     Next up is the Treat Toob. The Treat Toob is a treat dispenser that lets you take messy treats on the go. You fill it with whatever treat your dog likes (peanut butter, liverwurst, yogurt, purees, ect), and you squeeze the treat out as your dog licks it. When your pup's done, just flip the cap back on and shove it in a pocket.




PROS:
Great idea
Lots of colors
Dishwasher safe
Flip top lid
Great for on the go training

CONS:
Be very careful flipping the lid open with one finger. You might wind up pushing the lid off and wearing whatever you have in it. Just ask Mom.

Not good for yogurt or similar consistency foods, as it squirts too fast and makes a mess. Peanut butter and similar textures work best.


Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola



7 comments:

  1. Nice reviews Nola. The treats look tasty and we do love the martingale collars for sure. You are teeny, BOL
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first we couldn't figure out how you weighed the same as us....then DUH!....realised we're 10 kilos....BOL!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We want our mom to get us a treat toob! That looks great. We think you look real cute with the yogurt on your nose.

    Millie & Walter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to get my Cairns that Treat Toob! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fill it for horse, partially fill it for dog. Spectacular product. Now I say "thirsty kids" and Thirsty Milo is at the ready! Love our Thirsty Milos; don't leave home without it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!