Thursday, August 1, 2013

Review Day

     Hey, y'all! We were without internet (and had to rely on Mom's 3G) since Monday, which is why we've been MIA the last few days. It got fixed yesterday, so we're back!
Today's the day I get my first does of Comfortis flea pills, paws crossed I have no reactions and they pill works!


     It's review day again! First up is a review for the Etsy shop Two Sweet Peas and a Boo. They make adorable, comfy and cozy borrow bags, sometimes called dog sleeping bags or sleep sacks. Here's a bit on how they got started:


I started making burrow bags quite by accident. I was shopping online to find something that would reduce the amount of hair Georgie, my mini doxie, sheds, especially in my bed (She thinks it's her bed!). That's when I noticed burrow bags. Georgie loves to burrow, especially under my bed covers. Actually, she'll burrow under towels, blankets, robes, just about anything. That's when I thought that if she would sleep in a burrow bag instead of under my covers, I wouldn't have to worry about her hair in my bed. I decided to buy one for Georgie, but couldn't believe the price, so instead I went to my sewing machine and tried to make one. It took me a few "test" burrow bags before I was successful.

Georgie loved her burrow bag immediately, much to my surprise. She had never had any interest in any kind of bed, other than mine. Well, then I thought, it wouldn't last, she'll be back under my covers by bedtime...



     They offer several sizes, from XS (18"x24" in length) to M (25"x30"). You can also request a custom size. I'm 11lbs, and was sent a medium.
The outside of the bed is a soft fleecy material, and the inside is super cozy and snuggly faux sheep skin type fabric. You can use this bag three different ways; lay on top of it, bunch it up into nest, or sleep inside of it. My favorite is sleeping inside of it!

Ooh, a treat!











Believe it or not, I'm in here!

     I love this bag; I've slept in it every day and some of the night (it's blistering hot here, so even with the air on I get a little warm at night and crawl out of the bag. It'll be pawsome in winter, though!) since I got it. Mom leaves it on her, our  MY bed during the day, and puts it under the covers at night. I don't shed hardly anything, but if your pup is a shedder this would be great for keeping dog hair at a minimum!
It's great to sleep in, have on the couch, in the car, in a crate, anywhere!

PROS:
Cute
Soft
Cozy
Washable
Fair prices
Fast shipping
Great customer service
Made by a fellow Floridian and Dachshund owner

CONS:
Nothing to see here!

     I give Two Sweet Peas and a Boo my highest rating of 5/5 stars and 2 paws up! Go check em out, and tell em yours truly sent ya!


   
     Up next is a review for one of my favorite companies ever, Chewy.com! I won't go through several sentences on how much we love Chewy, cause y'all have heard it before. But for reals, we freaking love Chewy!
This review is on True Chews Premium Chicken Jerky. Mom has never fed me anything made in China, but after the recent deaths and sicknesses from the chicken jerky from China (check your brands! Dogswell, Milo's Kitchen, Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch are just a few of the recalled brands) she's even more careful about where my treats come from. No worries with the True Chews! 100% made in the USA. Can't beat that.
Here's what's in them:

Chicken, Vegetable Glycerin, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Natural Smoke Flavor, Paprika Extract Color, Garlic Powder, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Rosemary Extract

     True Chews also makes pigs ear and bully sticks treats, but since me + pig ears = Exploding Booty Syndrome, we avoided the pigs ears.






"That's some good shit right there! Damn!"


     I loved this chicken jerky; it's almost at crack value (if you aren't sure of what that means, check my training page to see how different foods rank). Mom thinks it's pretty tasty, too. Dachshund Mommy: Don't judge! They smelled good, and I don't feed Nola anything I couldn't eat. I'd say anything I wouldn't eat, but she loves bully sticks and I just can't see myself chopping down on dried bull penis. ;)

     Another 5/5 star rating!




     And lastly we have Nina Ottoson up for review. Nina Ottoson makes food puzzle toys. What's a food puzzle, you ask? It's what it sounds like; you have to work through a puzzle to get to your food. A treat stuffed Kong is a very basic food puzzle.
It's a great way to keep your dog's mind active and engaged, and help tire them out. Mental activity is often times more draining than physical activity (although physical activity is vital!), especially if you don't do a lot of training with your dog. They also make them for cats and other pets, too!


     These toys have varying levels of difficulty. Here's what they are:

Level 1
For beginners, puppies, older dogs and dogs that are difficult to motivate.
difficultyeng1.jpg
Level 2
Medium, fits most dogs.
difficultyeng2.jpg
Level 3
Advanced, for "smart" dogs and dogs that need extra mental stimulation.
difficultyeng3.jpg

     I was sent three puzzles; the Dog Treat Mazethe DogSmart Wood (level 1) and the DogDomino Wood (level 2 and 3, depending on how you set it up).

     I've never been huge on using my nose. I can use it, and use it well (I can find hidden treats lightening fast), but I choose not to. Mom is thankful for this, as it helped hugely with my recall! I don't have the constant nose-to-ground-deaf-to-the-world typical of lots of hounds, including my Minion Augustine. But I digress. Anyways, because I don't use my nose much, Mom thought it'd be tough for me to figure these out. Boy, was she wrong!
First try with level one puzzle: 1 minute 30 seconds from start to finish.
Second try with level one: 1 minute, 1 second:


First try with treat maze: 1 minute, 25 seconds:


First try with level 3 food puzzle: 2 minutes, 14 seconds (video cut off for some reason):

 

     DM: excuse my high pitched baby talk! I usually don't sound like that unless I'm talking to Nola. 
I've put all 3 puzzles down at once, and they only took Nola 7 minutes. My dog is freakishly, and sometimes irritatingly, smart. :p

     I'm not saying these toys are easy; far from it! I'm just saying if your dog is really smart like I am, they might go through this quickly. For a "normal" dog this would take a while and be exhausting.



Dog Treat Maze

Dog Smart

Dog Domino 


1.1 minute...like a BOSS!



PROS:
Lots of choices
Varying difficulties
Wood or plastic, your choice
Engaging
Fun
Great mental outlet

CONS:
Pricey
The slides on the DogDomino toy get jammed a lot
DM: While this isn't a chew toy of course, I was disappointed to see that the plastic pieces on the DogDomino were easy to fill up with teeth marks. You'd think they'd handle Nola picking them up without them denting.

After one use

     Overall, I give them 4/5 stars. You can find them on the Nina Ottoson website above, on Amazon, and in some pet stores like Pet Supermarket.


     That's a wrap!
Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola


   

12 comments:

  1. Nola you are brilliant to do those puzzles so fast. Hailey always does puzzles really fast, Phody a little slower. All your treats looked good and the bag is cute if you like a bag.

    Have a great day! Nose to the ground and not listening Lee and slightly better Phod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh we wonder how we would like those little sleeping bags..ummmm
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timely post Nola...just read about yet another chicken jerky recall: http://theelkaalmanac.blogspot.com/

    My doxie friend Cooper is a blanket burrower so I sent a link of your review over to his mom and ordered her to get him a burrow bag

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a couple of the Nina Ottoson puzzles. I don't know what they are rated but if Gretel was the judge she would say "way to easy". Perhaps I need to look in to the level 3 puzzles. I like that they are making some wood ones now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reviews. We love chicken jerky - if only you could eat it for every meal!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Lily loves those bags. We will check it out for sure
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comfortis worked for us! Luckily, we live in a dry area so we don't get fleas much.

    XXXOOO Daisy, bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cozy blanket looks very cute!

    http://mylifeinblogyears.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. FABulous reviews NOla!! I loves the blanket! I'm kinda a 'hot dog' so it's not necessarily for me, butts it sure does look snuggly!!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doggy sleeping bags...who would have known? Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to work on mom to get me one of the fleecy thingys thanks! Love Dolly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!