Friday, July 26, 2013

Review Day

     Hi, y'all! Time for another review day. :) First up is a review for Hartman and Rose, a company that makes high end designer leather collars and leashes. Here's a little about them:

Hartman & Rose  named after the founders’ children presents the finest in classic designer petwear.  Our exquisite natural Italian full-grain vegetable tanned leather is combined with the exquisite Italian hardware.  All collars and leads are hand skived and stitched with hand painted and polished edges.  Each collar and lead is bench made with close attention to detail such as hand polishing and handset semi-precious gemstones and Austrian crystals.
All Hartman & Rose products are lead free and handcrafted in Canada.  We don't follow the trends we set them.
Take the lead and walk in style!
 




     I picked this purple leather collar and matching leash. They were originally for ME, but Mom didn't like the style (too thin) or color (I need a more vibrant purple) on me and Phoenix wears it instead.
These collars and leashes are made of 100% Italian leather and are crafted in Canada. There's a lot of styles to pick from, from basic plain to blingy-bling.






     I like that the collar was thin and light on Phoenix, but it has shown a little more wear (mild fading, a bit of fraying at the seams, some cracking) than some other leather collars we have.

PROS:
Lots of choices
Quick shipping considering it's from Canada
Solid hardware
Cute

CONS:
Not as durable as I'd like
The vast majority of the collars are ridiculously expensive, and for that price I expect better quality.
Leashes don't come in 6ft
Collars are thin as are the leashes

     Overall, I give them 3/5 stars.



     Next up is for Hi Tide Creations, an Etsy shop that makes lovely braided kangaroo leather show leads, tag collars, harnesses and human jewelry.


     I was sent this this cute harness to test out and review. Here's a bit about it:
The design of this harness keeps it off the neck area, great for dogs with sensitive throats! This is a very simple design, there is one adjustment area at the top ( above dogs shoulders), a sliding nickle plated o ring holds the 2 strands of braid together, and a sliding knot "locks" it in place. A covering knot at the top o ring (where your leash attaches), and 2 knots just above the lower o rings finish it off. The strap under the belly is a flat braid. The o rings are 3/8" nickle plated.This is a great harness if you want to put a sweater or coat on your dog, they simply step in, and you slide the o ring and knot down to fit - no fiddling with clasps or buckles that need to be adjusted individually every time :-) This piece has a high gloss finish which makes it a bit more weather resistant and easy to keep clean!!

This harness is braided around a 130 lb. test core for added strength.



     While Mom spent a good 10 minutes figuring out how to adjust it, once she got it it was very easy to put on and off. The harness is very light weight and comfortable, so it's perfect for summer. The shop owner was great to deal with, and kept Mom up to speed on the progress.

I don't know what iPhoto's issue is, but it's not letting me upload the pictures I want to. These are the only two it allowed.



PROS:
Great customer service
Lots of options
Well made
Comfortable
Easy to adjust once you figure it out


CONS:
The strap that goes between the front legs was a little too long, but that might be a Doxie thing
I wouldn't suggest it for pullers

     Overall, I score them at 4/5 stars.




     And lastly is a review for Jennie B Goode Collars, and Etsy shop that makes cute collars, leashes and harnesses. Here's a little about them:
We had just purchased our Bulldog Sophia and I was determined to find her a unique and fabulous collar. After searching the chain petstores with no success I ended up at a local doggy boutique. There were plenty of fantabulous collars but they were a small fortune. I settled on one and as soon as Miss Sophia grew out of it I disected it so I could see how to make it. I knew I wanted a large collection of collars for her and wasn't willing to spend hundreds to get it. After some trial and error and maybe a bad word here and there I had made a collar. Sophia ended up with a wonderful collection and people started to ask where I got her collars and the rest is history.

I have had so much fun with my shop and have had some exciting things happen because of it. 

Beth Stern ( Howard Stern's wife) was doing a press tour for her book and to my amazement she had her bulldog, Bianca wearing my dog collar when they appeared on Regis and Kelly and on the Today Show. Im not sure I will ever be able to top that excitement.

     I picked this cute turquoise polka dot collar, size small (3/4" wide, 10-15" neck). I've said it before, but I love metal buckles, and my favorite collar width is 3/4". This collar has both! How cool is that?





PROS:
Lots of options
Metal buckle
Washable
The shop owner included a big treat
Durable
3/4" width offered
Fast shipping
Prices are fair

CONS:
The collar gets dirty fast

     Overall, I give 4 1/2 out of 5 stars for them.

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the collar and harness info. You sure have a lot of beautiful collars, Nola! K briefly had one like that last one - and I agree - it gets dirty very very fast. But, it's pretty when it's clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nola - we each have one collar and one leash and Lee has one harness. You are lucky to have such variety. We love the colour of the last one. Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such honest reviews Nola...I know I can count on you. I spent too much on a fancy leather collar and leash for Gizmo and I'm very disappointed to see that after not all that much use the collar is already cracking and peeling. That rope harness looks like it might cut...does it? I like the look of the polka dot collar and i do love that buckle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your reviews are always so well done... you just tell it like it is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pawsome as always Nola! We love the polka dottie one on you.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    p.s. We got our canvas print in the mail the other day. Mommy will post about it when thing's slow down around here. It's BEAUTIFUL! (Butt maybe that's bcuz it's a picture of ME!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite was the purple one until I saw the turquoise spotty one - they are both my favourite colour but I can't resist anything with dots!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love the Jenny B Goode collars We wash them with soap and water. Thanks for the good reviews
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, that last collar looked amazin' gurl!
    I likes it! Ma is goin' to check em' out!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great reviews. Love the look of the polka dot collar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nola....
    You changed your Header Picture!! Again!! I like it!! ;op
    --Raelyn and Rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the polka dot blue collar on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are some great collars! Can't believe the first one doesn't have a 6 ft leash? Seriously???!!!
    Barks and licks and love,
    Dakota
    www.dakotasden.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!