Friday, June 14, 2013

Dachshund Nola's Adventures in Nail Grinding

     Hi, all! It's ME and Dachshund Mommy here to tell y'all all about our adventures with a nail grinder. I'll be updating every so often about it.
Mom bought a FURminator (however you spell it) nail grinder for only $6 off eBay, and it arrived today. So far we've had two sessions. The first one Mom didn't even touch my feet, she was just conditioning me to the grinder. She's ask me to touch it with my nose, I'd get a verbal marker in the place of a click from my clicker and a treat. She'd show it to me, verbal marker (VM from now on) and treat. She'd hold my paw with the grinder on her lap, VM and treat. She'd run the grinder (off) over my body and legs, all the while praising and treating. Finally, she turned it on and held it away from me, VM-ing and treating the whole time.That session lasted about 10 minutes.

Look who's back at her ideal weight? That's right, this girl!



     Then last night we had another session. This one was about 15-20 minutes, and she actually used it on me. I'll let her take it from here. Thanks, Bean. Okay, so first off I simply held the grinder (off) in my hand while giving Nola lots of treats (Zuke's) and praising the heck out of her. Then I'd turn it on and hold it away from her, praising and treating. Next I held the butt end of it against her body, so she'd get used to the vibration, while treating and praising. Finally, I used it on 3 of her nails. This resulted in a shower of praise, treats, and her yogurt filled Kong. I did push it a little too far though; I should have stopped with the 2 nails and not tried to do a third. I ended the session after that, after giving her yet more treats and praise.
I'm going to amp up the counter conditioning I've been doing for months with her feet, even if I'm not using the grinder or clippers. Keeping it fun and positive! 
I think the grinder will be a great tool, with a lot of work on my part to make it something Nola B enjoys, or at least willingly tolerates. ;)

     

Kisses and Tail Wags and Hugs,
Dachshund Nola and Dachshund Mommy

16 comments:

  1. Great job Nola on getting 3 of your nails trimmed!

    Girl, you look AMAZING!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good work Nola and contrats on the weight!. Now that grinder, can tell you Nope, no way, not gonna happen, run like Krazy puppers!

    The Mad scots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job! So many dogs hate having their feet touched at all. Fortunately in our pack of 10, only one doesn't like her feet touched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom made SURE that we both allow our feets to be touched.. butt we don't much care fur the Nails YANKER thingy... MOM says we do GRRRREAT... butt WE don't think so.
    We HAVE a furminator.. fur our FURS butt did not know they made a thingy for NAILS.. Mom did try a cheap grinder thingy once butt Frankie said he did NOT like how it felt...
    BUTT what we DO have is a GLASS Nails Filer thingy and THAT is super. It takes LONGER than just clipping... butt it really makes our nails SMOOTH and it does NOT hurt or stuffs. No NOISE and NO VIBRATIONS. Mom bought it at a craft show... SHE uses Smaller ones on HER nails and LOVES them too. When she happened upon the LARGER one... she bought it. MORE than $6.00 though. BUTT nothing to buy like batteries ... or new sanding papers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mum once tried the nail grinder on us - it did not go well for anyone, BOL.
    We go to the vet now, she is much more confident at cutting our nails.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't think we'll like a nail grinder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do a lot of road/pavement walking, so our nails stay short. Then Roxy and I just have our dew claws clipped. Bella doesn't have any. Don't think we'd like a grinder.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is great that you are taking all those extra steps to get Nola used to the grinder. We hope it all works out for you. Mom takes us to the vet for ours but it sure can get costly.

    Have a fun weekend.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom uses something similar on me!

    Mason

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so easy to go one step too far, huh! You are doing a great job, though! And she looks wonderful in that harness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My wieners all line up to get their nails clipped. Yeah, I m bragging. Or I would be if it had anything to do with me. It's just the frickin' food, you know? Always the food. They can't stand the clippers but they can't stand being the only wiener that doesn't get a treat even more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not at all related to nails but- Is that a tiny ruffwear webmaster??????????? Copley has one in xs and it is just small enough for him- at 22lbs! It was several years ago- do they make smaller ones now????????????? If so I am excited. Very, very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing! I've been mulling over a grinder, as our dogs hate the clipper. I still don't know if Shyla will ever accept it but I bet that R will if I use your slow and easy method. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ma tried this with me, butts I wasn't havin' any of it!! She tried the whole treatie thingy and did exactly what you did, and even after three weeks, I STILL wasn't havin' any of it....pfffft! On to the vetties for a pedicure...
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so cute. My groomer uses a grinder on my nails and I like it much better than the nail cutter thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to hear you are doing much better with the nails.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!