Monday, June 10, 2013

An Italian Sausage (hee hee), Weight and Nails

     Hi, all! Yesterday was a rainy day (thank dog! We needed it), and the peeps spent the whole day making food. Pasta, ravioli, sauce, homemade ice cream, yum! I don't know about y'all, but I love Italian food. I am German by birth, and Italian by choice, BOL! I loved smelling all the delicious smells, seeing the pasta come together, drooling over the pasta watching it as it dried...sigh. Excuse my while I wipe the drool of my mouth.

Drying pasta


Sauce made with sausage from our pig we raised last summer.

I'm guarding it, and NO I'm not going to climb up there and eat them all when you turn your back. How dare you accuse me of something so sordid!

Raviolis 

They were filled with parmesan, cheddar, provolone, and a few were tomato and basil (from our garden!)

1000x better and more filling than store bought. 









     Unfortunately I was only allowed 2 pieces of pasta, because according to Mom I'm getting too thick again. I was holding my weight really well for a while, then Mom started giving me bully sticks daily or every other day. We didn't know, but bully sticks contain 5 to 35 calories per inch! That's a lot when you're only 9lbs. So now I only get bullies when I'm crated. My food also got cut back, and I'm only getting Cheerios for training treats. Since I only have maybe 6-10oz to loose, it's coming off very well. I should be back to ideal by the end of the week.

ME the other day, too chunky
ME, too chunky

ME, ideal

ME, ideal

     Dachshund Mommy: I swear, Nola is consistently the most inconsistent weight. Boston's always too thin (nothing wrong with her, just crazy active with a high metabolism coupled with a nervous personality), Auggie and Phoenix hold their weight well, and Nola is usually either too thin or too fat. This last month or two she's been holding her ideal weight great, and I was hopefully that since's she's fully mature now she'd level out in her weight. Since she was doing so well, and her extra thickness is coming off nicely, I'm hoping this was just a minor setback, and that cutting out her bullies except when she's crated will do the trick. Fingers crossed!




     Mom's very proud, because after weeks and weeks of counter conditioning, and months of hard work, my nails are finally back to a manageable length! I used to hate (I'm talking struggling, whining, kicking) having my feet handled, much less my nails clipped. After a lot of work on Mom's part, she conditioned me to tolerating nail trimmings. My quicks had gotten really long, so Mom had to cut my nails every week (sometimes twice a week) for over 2 months before they got to the length they are. The don't click on the tile, they don't touch the floor, and my feet aren't splayed anymore! Mom just bought a nail grinder off eBay so she can keep them nice and short. The back ones still need work, but we're getting there.

What my nails used to be

Used to be

Now!

Now! Front paw looking gawjuss!

Now!

Now!




     Hope y'all had a good weekend, too!

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

24 comments:

  1. Look at all that pasta! OMD, it looks so wonderful and will taste even better with that homemade sauce on it. That's a lot of work and we give your peep's a round of applause for all their hard work.

    That's pawsome that Mom can now trim your nails without you wiggling too much. We have to go to the V-E-T to get ours done. Mommy is too much of a chicken to do it.

    Good luck with the weight loss Nola. At least its not a major amount to lose.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful pasta and sauce making operation. You definitely get to claim "Italian." Perhaps you have inspired me to do better with Freedom, Casper & Nikki's nails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, pasta. That looks yummy! I love your new header too. Roxy does the same weight yoyo thing. Must be a small dog issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm..Yum! You must have some willpower. Me and my pack would not have left a single piece of pasta hanging there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that pasta looks yummy and truth be told I was drooling just seeing it!! We think you look great Nola either way, :-)
    And yep, you do have gorgeous nails!!

    wags
    Jazzi and Addi

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll be at your house for dinner tonight. Those ravioli look delish.

    Millie & Walter

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom is starving after she looked at your food pictures...do you ever share the noodle recipe? My mom would need very explicate instructions.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both my corgis require close monitoring to keep them slim. It's truly a daily battle and with their thick coats its even harder to tell. And of course, they are the best beggars on the planet. Fortunately, their toenails are mostly white, so much easier to trim than black ones. I can at least see where the quick is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fresh pasta looks wonderful, so does the sauce!
    Love your new header too.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. All that food has made Mommy really hungry! The raviollis. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMD OMD OMD you made your OWN Pasta and your OWN SAUCE??? OMD that is WONDERFUL. THAT made us DROOL all over the place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much here today Nola...Momz hasn't made pasta in furever but after seeing the pictures she promises to get the pasta maker out and get busy...I'm lucky that my weight stays the same, but that's cause Momz is VERY strict about treats and measuring all my meals...Too strict if you ask me! I hate having my nails done but Momz sez that if yours can look that great so can mine...I see a lot of nail clipping in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, yum! Pasta. Great to hear that you are doing so well with your nails. I also love the collar you have in the first 'too chunky' photo.

    Dina and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nola, did you know that your new BFF is Phantom - he LOVES any and all kinds of pasta. He is one picky boy but not when it comes to pasta. With or without sauce:) So guess who is coming to dinner at your place?

    You have very pretty paws:)

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW that food looks so delicious! I'm very jealous of all the cooking you guys did. Your nails look great! I've been clipping Beamer's nails every two weeks since we got him as a puppy at 3 months. He has short nails that don't touch the floor, but they have still managed to scratch up the hardwood floors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SHE's half Italian, but doesn't like tomato paste...would you believe. So we don't have much Italian food. Not fond of pasta either. However, has recently learned to make Italian (mild) sausage and can make Zuppa Toscana!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummilicious home-made pasta!
    Pretty nails!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome work on the nails! Can I send Faolan to you for a few weeks? : )

    All that homemade pasta looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the header pic! Nola's pedicure looks awesome in the last pics; we just trimmed Maggie & Duke's nails too. I've been debating about getting a grinder for a while, let us know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Cows!! I would have loved to 'guard' the pasta!!! BOL Now, I'm not sayin' that it would be 'gone' when you returned, butts.....yeah, it would be gone. hehehe
    Now, Ma wants to know if you want to take me for a couple of months to condition me to gets my nails trimmed without having a cow?
    Pfffft! I likes the drama....
    BOL
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those little chubby feets are beautiful
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post made me hungry. Mmm. It all looks amazing!
    Nola's nails look wonderful! I'm currently in the process of getting Lassie's nails back to what they should be. We're nearly there, I think. :)

    Oh, and cutting back on the bully sticks? That must be a huge bummer, Nola! Lassie and Petal go mental for those. They don't get them very often though.

    xoxo
    Marquie, Lassie & Petal

    ReplyDelete
  23. OK, I am hungry again! You just send me all the food you cannot eat!

    And good job on your nails! I don't like that part of life, either, and I have this feeling that it is about time for trims again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Was there something about a dog in this post? All I remember is the yummy pasta and ravioli and I am glad it is morning so I don't want to eat that kind of thing just yet. Amazingly tasty looking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!