Thursday, May 9, 2013

Dachshund Nola Reviews: What's Up Dox Dachshund Shoppe and Issues with The Nikon

   


    Hi, all! Today I'm doing a review for the company What's Up Dox Dachshund Shoppe, but before I get to that I have to let Mom rant about the issues she's been having with the camera.
Dachshund Mommy: Thanks, Bug-a-Boo. Okay y'all, I need to get this off my chest and also ask your advice, but first I must rant. :p 
As some of y'all know, I have a Nikon D3100 that I adore, but a few weeks ago I started having a serious issue with my camera. I can only shoot in Auto/No Flash, or the camera makes this weird noise and smells like burning plastic. Auto, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, full Manual, ect, all get the same results. I don't see anything wrong with my camera, and it's not effecting the photo taken, per se  but the noise and the smell can't be A) normal or B) good for the camera. And here's what really, really pisses me off: not only do I take immaculate care of my camera, it's only a year and half old. I can't believe I'm having this issue. So. Fucking. Frustrating. Photography is my outlet, and I feel so boxed in being able to only shoot in auto/no flash. Grr! And yes, I contacted Nikon about it last night and am waiting to hear back. Hopefully I'll be able to update you guys on what they tell me tomorrow.

     Okay, now I need y'alls advice. Depending on what Nikon says, I'm probably going to have to replace my camera, or at the very least send it out to get repaired (I might just end up getting a new camera depending on how much a repair like that would cost). I absolutely love my D3100, so much it makes me tear up a bit at the thought of having to replace it. So my questions for any one who can help are:

  • How durable/long lasting do you find your Nikon to be? I really, really want to stick with Nikon (no offense to any Canon users), but if the issue I'm having is something that happens a lot with their products I can't afford to buy a camera every 1-2 years.
  • Does Canon make a good comparable to the D3100? Like I said, I'm going to try my hardest to stick with Nikon, but if it comes down to it I want to explore all my options.
     That's it! Thank for listening to my disjointed rant. ;)

     Now that that's out of the way, on to the review! What's Up Dox Dachshund Shoppe began in 2005 as a way to raise money for Dachshund rescues, but soon turned into a booming business! Meet the weens that work there:

                                                            Oscar: 
Isn't he cute!

                                                            Jacob:
Look at that little face! This poor guy suffers from seizures. :(
                       
                                                           Heidi:
Purty lady!
                  
                                                           Vinnie:
He has super big ears, just like me!


     What's Up Dox Dachshund Shop makes everything from Snuggle Bags (beds) to home decor to jackets and shirts for both Doxies and peeps and everything in between! DM: One of my favorite things in the shop was a pillow case that said "Sleep with wieners". Haha yes, I am that immature.

     I picked the super cute "Dox Rox" t shirt in a size small to review, and the pawsome people at What's Up Dox included a magnet that we put on our car! So sweet. 
It's the little things that make a business


This is a magnet too; Mom put it on the mirror in her, our MY room








PROS:
Cute!
Soft
Stretchy
Washable
Perfect thing to wear when it's cool put not cold, like when the peeps crank the air down and give me a frozen Kong
Fast shipping
Florida company
Made is USA
They have Doxies, duh!
Great customer service

CONS:
While my shirt fits perfectly, it's a little short, something I wasn't expecting from a Dachshund specific shop. I'm not a particularly long Doxie (unlike my minion Boston), but the shirt was still short.


     Overall, I give What's Up Dox 4 out of 5 stars and 2 paws up! Head on over, my fellow Doxie people, and check it out!

     Before I close I just want to mention this fun contest going on:
NoviPet Seeks Out Puppy Model for Upcoming Puppy Supplement (and you can win great prizes, too!)

WHAT:  Pet nutritional supplements company NoviPet (www.novipet.net) is currently seeking a cover model for their upcoming Puppy nutritional supplement!  Puppy owners may enter the contest by submitting a picture of their best friend through NoviPet’s Facebook contest application located here: https://www.facebook.com/NoviPetNutrition/app_451684954848385

WHEN:  Now through midnight PST on May 13, 2013.

WHY:  NoviPet is the leading provider of innovative pet nutritional supplements for cats and dogs.  This summer, the company will release an Omega 3 & Colostrum supplement especially designed for puppies, and the company would like to feature one of their Facebook fans’ puppies on the front of the box! 

PRIZES:  The Grand Prize Pet Parent will win a professional photo shoot for their puppy in their home town so the puppy will look PERFECT on the product box, in addition to a $1,500 cash prize, a 1-year supply of NoviPet canine supplements, a 1-month subscription to DOGTV and a Roku 3 Streaming Player to stream DOGTV to their TV set!  Also, 4 runners up will receive:

1. 3-month supply of NoviPet canine supplements
2. 1-month subscription to DOGTV
3. Roku 3 Streaming Player
4. $50 Amazon giftcard

HOW TO WIN:  The 5 winners will be selected through NoviPet Facebook fan votes –so get your friends and family to vote for your puppy’s picture!

View the official rules for entryhttps://woobox.com/offers/rules/wkj2yp


Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

22 comments:

  1. My 2 yo Olympus went nuts on me recently...Everything started coming out with a blue tinted filter, the battery won't hold a charge and i had to reset the date for every photo...my solution...I found a 2 yo Canon for $10 at a pawnshop and it's working perfectly...Quicker and cheaper than fixing the Olympus...Hope Nikon has answers for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea about cameras but I am looking into getting a Nikon. The shirt is too cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Nikon D70, so that tells you how old it is. The hubs bought it before we met 7 years ago. Anyway, it still works great. The only issue I have is a scratched sensor, tiny spot, that sometimes shows up in pictures. Like the sky. I would take your camera to a local camera store and get their opinion. No matter where we are, local camera shops are full of help and info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOT the camera! Oh goodness, that's horrible to hear. I hope that Nikon gets right back to you and gives you some promising news. Mommy has a Canon Rebel xsi and loves it! It takes really nice pictures for her.

    Nola, you do look like you outgrew your shirt. However, the design on it is really cool! We will check out their shop.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have the Nikon 3100 - it makes a great paper weight :) I drag it occasionally and it does take great photos (occasionally) BUT....I don't know - I just wasn't happy with it and their support weren't very helpful. I guess am a Canon gal at heart. I love my canon elph 300 hs - its is the smallest pocket size camera, takes amazing photos and videos - love the fast frame option for those action shots. I just bought my second one because I am always dropping it and figured one these days it will stop working and I won't be able to get that model again. Also something great about the canons I have dropped them - left them out in the rain - left them sitting in the blazing sun - and they still keep snapping away happily for me! For the "fancy work" I bought the canon rebel - totally amazing! They are just so easy to use - the menus are easiest to follow and it takes brilliant photos.

    Love the sweater but agree - it is a tad short - I wonder why makers of shirts specifically for doxies don't take length into consideration. We had the same problem finding coats long enough for my step daughter dorky. I guess they think their butts don't cold :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nola's momma our momma is NO help to you with camera advice cos remember her camera is a sucky cracker jack camera.

    We loved Nola's sweater but it did look a little short!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a camera expert at all but I do have the exact same camera as you. Its at least a year old but in no way has been used as much as yours, yet. I swear by Canon or NIkon like you, wish I could help but feel your pain! Love Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review. Mom would be freaking out. Hopefully Nikon customer service will stand up to their reputation we know a lot of people that prefer Canon and Lumix/ Panasonic
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  9. WE have a KODAK that is 6 years old... Works Grrrrreat fur us... butt they don't even MAKE cameras any longer.. We also have an Olympus and it is doing well fur us... BUTT we are not the photographer that YOU are. Never owned a Nikon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It might be a vest like Melissa's Pugnotes sweater vests.
    You look very cool in it anyway.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute shirt! Stick with Nikon, they're known for durability. I've never heard of the issue you're having. I still have my dad's Nikons from the 70's and they work great, and my D3000 is still in perfect condition as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the store review, I'll check it out. And the shirt is actually the right print and style to be a cropped top so I think it's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We'll have to steer our friend Millie towards all that doxie stuff!

    We only use a point and shoot camera.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an adorable shirt and magnet!!

    Sorry about your camera : (

    ReplyDelete
  15. We think she may not be around right now, but KB would be a good one to ask about the camera. We are pretty sure we have seen you comment on her blog. Drop her a line, we are sure she would be very helpful. Mom only has a point and shoot Canon, but she does like its simplicity.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just thinking the other day how great it would be to have doggie T-shirts in Doxie lengths. I, too, and surprised that the What's Up Dachshund Shoppe tees are short. Nola looks very cute in it though.

    Sorry about your camera issue. Burning plastic smell is no bueno. I hope you get it figured out. Unfortunately I don't have any advice or wisdom I could offer. I bought a refurbished D80 a few years ago. I think I have used it two or three years with no issues...except I wish I was a better photographer :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I'm no help. Ma has 3 35mm Nikons that she uses still (yes, she even develops her own b&w film and pics sometimes). They are old and STILL FABulous cameras. digital is another story I'm finding out. Let's see, Ma has a Kodak (first one she bought), a Fuji (okay, butt a little clunky and didn't love the quality too much), Sony cybershot (this is the one she's using the most right now, it's small quick and has pretty good action shots and has decent manual settings), and finally Gpa bought her a Hero HD for Xmas (don't shoot her, butts she hasn't even taken it out of the box yet...don't ask). So, like I said, Ma is really no help. If you love the Nikon, I say stick with the Nikon. I hear good things about their digital, and with all digial things these days, it's bound to crap out. (oh BTW, all those cameras were gifts ~ if Ma was to choose, she would probally pick the Nikon too!)
    Anyhu, I loves your shirt...I agree, a little longer would be better.
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband and I have had Nikon D200s for quite a few years and love them. You might want to check out http://www.dpreview.com/ and look through their forums to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. You could also post a question and see what kind of response you might get from them. Good luck and I hope you get an answer soon (and that you don't have to be without your camera for too long if it needs repairs).

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. My mom has a Nikon 3100, it is 2 1/2 yrs old, she uses it a lot and so far we have had no issues with it. That would really stink having to send it in and mom would die having to use her point and shoot or phone for any amount of time. We would stick with Nikon and depending on the cost factor trade it in at a National Camera for a new 3100 since they have gone down in price or the new 3200 with wifi capabilities. We have had Nikons for years and never had issues...have a D90 for the business in Germany and that one has had no issues. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I love all your accessories. Looks like an adorable store for doxies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is one cool T-Shirt!
    We hope they can fix your camera FAST!
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!