Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dachshund Nola Reviews: Mattie & Margot

   




     Hi, all! I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend!
Today I'm doing a review for the fabulous company Mattie & Margot, makers of gawjuss collars. Here's a bit about the company:


It's just two humans, two dogs, and two sewing machines here at MATTIE & MARGOT — and one of the dogs is actually named Cooper! More on that later. 
I'm Rachael, and I'm from Cincinnati, OH, currently living and working in Mountain View, CA. My middle school Home Ec teacher used to sew my projects for me because I was so dreadful at sewing. Fast forward a few years, and I have three dogs, all different sizes, and I can't find dog collars that I like, or in the right sizes. Fast forward a little more, and my crafty boyfriend, Garret, is teaching me how to sew because it's the age of DIY and I figured we could make our own dog collars. It took quite a few months (and quite a few broken sewing machines) to get them right, and here we are! Our dining room has been converted into the craft room, which houses our two sewing machines and loads of ribbon.
Garret's from Pittsburgh, PA, and he is really good at making things. He created a ribbon rack for the wall in our craft room. To his dismay, I quickly ran out of space, but we're working on that. He takes a lot of the photos for the site, and keeps Margot out of trouble. Mattie lives in Ohio with my parents, where she has a huge yard and two Shih Tzu mixes to chase. Cooper is the dog that started it all — I got her when I was in college, and my family has taken in 5 dogs since!
So there you have it. It's just the four of us here in California, with our two sewing machines and a rack of ribbon. But we love making dog collars, and we're getting really good at it! 











     I absolutely LOVE the collar I have from them! It's beautiful, durable and it has a metal buckle. I don't think I've mentioned this before, but Mom and I are total suckers for metal buckles on collars. They look so much better than plastic ones, not to mention they're more durable.

     Something about this company that I found to be really unique and very cool is their Recycle Program. Click the link for full details, but the basic gist of it is you send in your old collar from Mattie & Margot back to them, they give you a 30% discount and once you pick the new collar you want, they send you a new collar made with the old collar's metal hardware, and you get a key fob made from the old collar! Pretty cool, huh?
Something else that I liked was they have an option to buy a "mystery" collar for the discounted price of $12. You enter the size you need, and you can either pick a color you'd like or pick total mystery if you're feeling really adventurous!

     They have so many options as far as color goes, so many that I literally lost track when I tried to count them (I got off track at around 125 I believe). I adored that they had so many shades of my favorite color, blue, to choose from. Usually when you're looking for blue you only see two options, dark blue and baby blue. At Mattie & Margot, they offer 27 shades and patterns of blue.

     Here are just a few of my favorites they have:
Tutti Frutti
Mystic Blue
Lavender




     It took a long time, but I finally pick the absolutely gorgeous Turquoise collar in size small (10-15" 1" width) to review.
Mattie & Margot offer two width sizes, the standard 1" for bigger dogs or dogs like me with long necks, and a 5/8" Miniature size for smaller/short neck dogs. Only two things disappointed me with Mattie & Margot, and one of them was they don't offer my favorite width of 3/4". Still, hardly a con in my book!

Cute business cards!


I love getting notes!

Aw, that's so sweet!



Wrapping makes it that much better




I loved that the logo is on the inside, instead of being an eye sore


Here I am modeling it.
Dachshund Mommy: I picked the 1" over the 5/8" width because I love the thicker look on Nola and Boston. They can pull it off!










PROS:
Gorgeous!
Huge selection
Leashes available
Metal buckle
Durable
High quality
Washable
Great customer service
Easy to navigate site
Fast shipping
It came wrapped in yellow tissue paper, which is something I love

CONS (if you can call them that):
They don't make harnesses! :p
They only offer 1" and 5/8", not my preferred 3/4"


     Overall, I give Mattie & Margot my highest rating of 5/5 stars and 2 paws up! I can definitely see us buying another collar from them in the future.
Head on over, and tell em Nola sent ya!

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

(Disclaimer: I was provided a free collar in exchange for my honest review. I was not paid or perked to write an positive review, and all opinions are my own. We really do love Mattie & Margot that much!)


17 comments:

  1. That is a lot of colours! As all ways the blue looks excellent on you. I've never seen a collar with metal buckle before- interesting. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like their recycle program too! We've never seen collars with metal buckles before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice looking collars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like the lavender one.
    Dip Bridge and Elliotx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woof-hoo, Nola...you look pawesome in turquoise! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww- not in our size! It is so hard to find nice quality collars that don't look like a Disney princess puked on them when your dogs necks are only 8 inches around. I might check these out for Copley one day but he has a bajillion collars and each chi only has one, so I should probably hold off on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue is beautiful and it looks great on you, Nola!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These collars are so COOL!
    www.dogtreatweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. We like that recycling program. We probably need metal clips as our collars usually go on the clips.

    XXXOOO Daisy,Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that color on Nola! We like 1" and big selections so we are going to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the photos of Nola posing on her mail! That is a great color for her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I've never seen so many different options for doggie collars before!! :-D Thank god!!! And I see that these guys are from my neck of the woods too! Hm, weird that I've never seen them at the dog park before...hehe! ;-) I know where we'll go when my collar gives up the goat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wows, those are pawsome collars Nola!!! I agree, the metal buckles do look amazin'! And, their in my own backyards!! BOL
    I'm gonna check em out now...
    Thanks for the review Nola!
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very stylish collar! And the color is perfectly you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow we really like those collars. Stylish. Thank you for the review
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!