Monday, April 8, 2013

Training Goals for March Results and April List, and "Exactly How Much Shit Do You Have?"

     Hi, all! Here's what I wanted to learn in March:

Shame! (cover eyes)
Take a bow
Work on retrieving

     I'm sad to say I did not learn "take a bow" yet. Luring (the method Mom was trying) did not work for this trick; I was way to focused on the food to realize that bowing = treat. Mom's still going to teach me this trick, but we'll be using capturing which is the slowest method.

  I did learn my other two goals, though! Check it out:

                                                     Shame!

                     Retrieval work:
                           Camera strap 
                           Poop bag holder
                                                         The clicker
     If you can't see the videos, go to my YouTube challenge dachshundnola to see them.
If you're curious about my training methods or have questions such as what treats does Mom use, feel free to check out my training page titled Training the "Untrainable": Our Life of Positive Reinforcement. If you have questions not addressed on the training page, feel free to ask below!


     My April goals list:
Turn (spin clockwise, I already know counterclockwise)

Jump though Mom's legs

Work on bowing

     Since it's already the second week of April, Mom and I started working on the above. Here's my very first training session learning "jump through":
     As you can see, Mom was using luring. (Dachshund Mommy: excuse how pale I am!) My third session (they're only about 8 minutes each) was today, and Mom's already fading the lure 60% of the time.
Mom's also using luring for teaching "turn". I know it doesn't look like it, but we primarily use free shaping!


     Someone asked the other day about how many collars/harnesses/leashes I have, so I figured I'd show y'all my extensive wardrobe! This does not include clothes, by the way.
This is just some of my stash on the rack Mom and Sugar made. 

     I have a lot, so be warned! The total is:

10 collars: 3 leather, 2 cotton, 5 nylon
9 leashes: 1 leather, 1 cotton, 1 rope, 3 nylon, 1 Flexi, 1 hotdog, 1 25ft training line
3 harnesses: 1 Puppia, 1 dress, 1 BrilliantK9

     I also have another rope leash and another harness on the way to review, BOL! DM: It may seem like I have a slight problem, but I've only bought the following: 2 collars, 1 harness, 3 leashes. Everything else is from doing reviews. 

     Here's some (not everything's shown) pictures of my stash. Enjoy!

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

P.S: I'm 2 and a half today!

P.P.S: Yesterday's photo was taken in a mirror.

Lillibell's Couture harness

Klise Dog collar

Hilltop Leather Shop collar (check back tomorrow for a review of this gorgeous collar!)

TheSewingDog collar (matching leash below)

BrilliantK9 harness with custom name tag

SweetAndSaltyDog collar

Hilltop Leather Shop leash

Hamish McBeth collar (we LOVE Hamish McBeth, and will never be without a collar from them!)
and Puppia harness (LOVE this harness).

Another Hamish McBeth collar. Both this one and the above are from the "Lucy" collection, in "Lucy Pink" and "Lucy Black", respectively. 
Kong Collar

Puddle Jumper Pups collar that has my name embroidered on it (I highly recommend this shop, their customer service is stellar.).
GreyPawDesign leash

21 comments:

  1. Good morning my BFF!
    Wow, that's a mighty big post today. Kind of right up there with all your collars (ha ha!!) Wanted to say hello to you first, now we're gonna go watch your movies. First we better make some popcorn and all get comfy on the couch. We can't wait to see you in action!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love that black polka dotted dress, my mom thinks your mom should come stay in iowa for awhile and teach us a few things....you guys are super uber smart!!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nola,

    You're so smart and loveable.
    We remember the pix of you in the pink chair
    my Mom thinks its so cute.
    Happy Monday

    xo Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nola, This does not seem excessive to us...but, we are Greyhounds.

    Freedom, Casper & Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I taught Pallo the "shame" trick, but our cue for it is "where's your nose?" which really gets people laughing when we demo the trick. I found that when we were working on duration of the nose hold with paw, having Pallo lay down before asking for the trick worked wonders on getting him to keep his paw on his nose. Until we got the duration, I felt like calling the trick "quit punching yourself".

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cute girl can never have to many cute clothes, or accessories. I want one of those harness dress things, they are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nola, you are looking great in everything you do...training, wearables....everything! You're one lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Nola. You have a lot of accessories. Any dog would be jealous. You're also very smart, with all your trick learning. After watching your "wave" video, I followed suit and taught Beamer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We think the Hamish McBeth collars are really pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are one impressive little girl Nola!!! Sweet kisses to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are getting pretty good at those tricks. Love the polka dot dress on you.
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Lord, Nola! Do you think you have enough collars/leashes/harnesses?? ;) Cool tricks. We really like the Shame one...too cute! Riley also gets too excited about the food to actually listen and do the right trick...she goes through her whole repertoire until she does the right one. Silly dog!

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok I am totally impressed by Nola's training progress...I think she's doing really great...And seeing her extensive "wardrobe" makes me feel a little better about the amount of stuff Gizmo is accumulating...I've got to hang more hooks cause right now everything keeps falling off

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nola! I just found your blog via Sarge's blog, and I have to say you have a lovely collar/leash/harness collection. I wonder, have you checked out Potcake Collars? They have fabulous tropical prints. I love the pic of you at the beach by the way. But then, I'm a beachy kind of gal.
    All the best!
    Billie-Girl the Island Dog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't training suppose to mean learning what we want toe arm only? Good job! Beautiful dress. Look at all those leashes. Is some buddy spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board
    and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I am hoping to give one thing back and aid others like you helped me.


    Also visit my web blog helpful breeders of golden retrievers material

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love watching the videos of you. I feel like I am right there with you. You are so good at learning new things.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tricks. The stuff you have is quite impressive. We have a bunch of collars but not so many leashes, but then we have mountains of shirts

    urban hounds

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didnt think it was possible, but you're even cuter in videos! Such a smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are SO smart Nola! Lovin' all your tricks. I recently taught Petal how to bow. It was a little challenging (for me) at first because while trying to lure her into a bow she'd end up in a sit or a down instead. I had to hold one arm under Petal's stomach and lure her into a bow, with that she picked up on what I wanted from her very quickly and she can do it without my arm under her belly about 95% of the time now.
    But anyway, I'm just rambling. You'll learn bow in no time, you're super smart. ;)

    You have quite the collection there! We have lots of leashes and a few collars and stuff too. It's not nearly as organized though, it's all in a huge messy pile that I hate digging through, hahaha. I need to get organized like your mom, Nola. ;)

    Can't wait for your review of the Hilltop Leather collar! It's stunning!

    xoxo
    Marquie, Lassie & Petal

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great work with all those tricks Nola, you are a talented girl! That is quite the impressive collar and leash collection too :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!