Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Dachshund Nola Reviews: Pet Wise Products

     


     Hi, all! Today I'm doing a review for Pet Wise Products, makers of the No Tangle LeashStop Dogs Jumping Shield (more on this later...) and no pull harness and leash, as well as traditional snap leashes, slip leads, traffic leashes, couplers and rope choke and martingale collars. They're also on Etsy, and you can find them here.

     A bit about the company:
I've worked in rescue for my entire life. Currently, I volunteer with a rescue, that operates entirely through a foster network. We get dogs that often have never seen the inside of a home. We do our best to get the dogs into permanent homes as quickly as possible, so that more dogs make it out of the gassing facilities the rescue pulls from. My training aid, "Down Rover" was created after my exhausting every possible method of teaching a very intelligent, and otherwise extremely well trained dog, that simply would not stop jumping. "Down Rover" has worked for us on every type of dog, for the past two years. It's no secret that people don't need much of an excuse to surrender a dog (or cat), and don't need much of a reason to return a dog they adopt, or pass by a shelter dog, in favor of a store bought puppy (future shelter dogs when they don't train them). So, my quest, is to help more dogs be adoptable, and to help those that do get a home, to stay in them. "Down Rover" is an incredible aid, that gives owners the ability to correct a behavior that can be not only frustrating and annoying, but dangerous to small children and elderly people.    Home Stop Dogs Jumping No Tangle Leash No Pull Harness & Leash Traditional Dog Leashes Contact Us About Us  The Inspiration for "Let's Go Rover" Tangle Free Leash  came from my Bloodhound cross, "Emma", whose nose is always to the ground. Every time she put her head down, she was constantly stepping over her leash and getting it tangled between her legs. Along with Emma, I usually have 1 or 2 other dogs walking at the same time. If one wasn't tangled, it would be, by the time I untangled the 1st one. Frustrating for dogs, and humans alike, I tried a variety of methods before finding the solution. If you are tired of the tangles, treat yourself to a "Let's Go Rover" tangle free leash




     Their snap and slip leashes come in both a 5ft and a 6ft length, and their traffic leashes come in 12", 18" and 24", as do their couplers. Colors available:

  • Red
  • Black
  • Brown
  • Royal Blue
  • Navy Blue
  • Bubble Gum Pink
  • Lime Green
  • Purple
  • Hunter Green



Martingale 
Slip lead
Snap lead



     I picked the traditional snap lead, 6ft, in lime green to review, and I really like it! Dachshund Mommy: Unlike most rope leashes I've seen, this leash is very soft on the hands. We have another rope leash, and while I love the color, if Nola was a puller I wouldn't be able to use it as it is so harsh on the skin. Which is a shame, because I love rope leashes almost as much as leather ones. 



It's the little things that make a business 








Check back soon for a review of the EzyDog Chest Plate harness

Ditto my new Hug-a-Dog harness



PROS:
Very soft and easy on the hands

Lots of colors

Lightweight but sturdy

Durable

Machine washable

Fair price

Fast Shipping

Lots of options for color and size

Good customer service

The no tangle leash is a neat idea

Made in the USA


CONS:
The loop/handle is pretty big, and since Mom has bony, skinny wrists it didn't sit comfortably on her. She wound up looping the leash through the handle then clipping it to me, so it couldn't slid off


DM: I am not a fan of the fact they sell choke collars. If you've followed me for awhile, you'll know I do not advocate or except such methods.

DM: I wasn't a fan of the No Jumping Shield; while not outwardly harmful, it doesn't mesh with my Positive Reinforcement/Negative Punishment only method.



     Overall, I give Pet Wise Products 4 out of 5 stars (1 stars off for the training methods we don't approve of) and 1 1/2 paws up. Head on over, and tell em Nola sent ya!

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

16 comments:

  1. A good review and we agree that handle is way to big - but I don't think you should be so critical of them providing training options you personally don't like. A good review should be based on the actual product merits good and bad and not the reviewers personal beliefs. We do not like or have ever used negative reinforcement either but I would never mark a product down because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! Agreed - that hand loop is crazy-big!
    Looking forward to your harness review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof! Woof! We are a big fan of slip leash. I got mine from a different company(long long time ago - during my agility years and very durable). Great product selection. Golden Thanks for sharing. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how big it is (in length).. or at least it looks massive. I love leashes that let me get as far away from these crazy humans as possible, hehe!:)

    We have been busy for the past week putting up our new blog layout so we have not been able to comment! Come by and check it out when you have the chance!

    Love,

    Bunk The Pug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are not really into leads like that, we prefer our extension ones.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love their martingale! Bernie walks best on a martingale I find. He doesn't like harnesses as he doesn't like things around his body and gets irritated with a normal collar. The martingale sits lovely and loosely around his neck and as I don't have problems with him pulling it rarely tightens. Even when it is 'tight' you can still get some fingers under it so doesn't choke him at all. I'd hate for that to happen. It works well with us as we also use a martingale show lead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nola you do the bestest reviews. You always do the pro and CON and are very much honest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Mommy saw the color choices, she silently said, LIME GREEN! Then she saw what you chose... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We like the collars. Definitely agree with your cons. The leash looks to bulky for a small pup. Thank you for the excellent review
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you are honest in your reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another objective review. Well done.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have so many cool leashes and collars. We only have one of each, sigh! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pawsome review Nola! I'll head on over to check out the no pull harness/leash. Agree with the no jump shield...kinda weird.
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the color of the leash you picked, Nola! The hand loop is insanely large, wow. I love the clip though, those are my favorite kind, they feel more secure to me.
    Great review!

    xoxo
    Marquie, Lassie & Petal

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice leashes but yah we dont like the big loop thingy either!!
    Thanks for your info.

    wags
    Jazzi and Addi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!