Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dachshund Nola Reviews: Squishy Face Studios

     Hi, all! Today I'm doing a review for Squishy Face Studios, a Florida (my home state!) based company that makes durable and fun toys from strong and active dogs. They're also on Etsy, and you can find them here.






     A bit about the company:

     Squishy Face Studio is a Florida based, family owned business started by Justin and Jessica Lohmann in 2009. Our mission is to create the most innovative and durable toys and accessories available for strong and active dogs. Our products are designed to provide both physical and mental exercise, with the goal of keeping your dogs happy and healthy. Also, our products are proudly made in the USA.


     We are constantly inspired by our own small pack; Petey, Max, Lily and Mr. Kitty (who thinks he is a dog). All three of our actual dogs have been labeled “pit bulls” or pit bull mixes at one point or another. The truth, as it is with many if not most rescued and adopted dogs, is that they are MIOs (Mutts of Indistinguishable Origin). What DNA tests and conformation standards can’t tell you is that they are a perpetual source of happiness, a constant reminder of what is right with the world. They love us and we love them, and nothing in life gets any better than that.



     We are passionate dog advocates, specifically defending “bully” breeds and opposing Breed Specific Legislation. We feel that education is the key to changing the circumstances of these misunderstood animals. We also advocate adoption from animal rescues, shelters and the Humane Society. We donate frequently to organizations that promote these ideals and work to reach the awesome goal of No More Homeless Pets both in our local community and throughout the nation.
  

     They offer products like Flirt Poles and Super Tugs, that are all high quality and very durable.

     I picked their Flirt Pole (if you don't know what a flirt pole is, it's basically a toy on a long stick and rope. Think giant, sturdier cat toy) to review.
According to the site:


  • The only toy on the market that uses bungee cord to prevent “whiplash” when lure is caught

  • Perfect for people with limited mobility

  • Can be used with dogs of any size

  • Also works great as a training tool and provides the mental exercise dogs need

  • Regular size flirt pole has a 36” pole section and 52” cord

  • Includes your choice of durable braided Fleece Toss lure or Zanies Bungee Gecko with squeakers

  • Easily change lures without the use of fasteners that can injure your dog's mouth

  • Lightweight. The Flirt Pole with the included lure weighs less than one pound

  • Soft, non-slip grip and wrist strap for easy handling





     I liked this toy overall, but it didn't keep my interest for more than 5 minutes at a time. Once I realized that the same thing happens each time you play with it, I lost interest. So I'd play with it for a few minutes, loose interest and still be full of energy, which kind of defeats the purpose of the flirt pole for our situation.

      Dachshund Mommy: as you all are probably aware, Nola is a very smart and quick thinking dog. I think that the simplicity of a flirt pole (around and around, chase, grab, tug, release, repeat) didn't challenge her enough, and wasn't really engaging for her. Nola also doesn't play fetch, and gets bored with repetitive training sessions. She needs to be engaged and stimulated and challenge, or she's over it. Which is why we play "soccer", "find mommy!" games and use lots of trick training and free shaping.

      From what I've read, dogs getting board with the flirt pole isn't a common occurrence (of course Nola's the exception!), and Nola's indifference says absolutely nothing for the quality, durability and fun for the average dog. I recommend this product, even though my girl wasn't a huge fan. She liked it as a tug toy, though!


PROS:
Durable, but lightweight
The cord is a bungee cord, so no whiplash
Soft grip and convient wrist strap
If your dog is into it, it's a great way to tire out your dog without going on a long walk/run
The company offers a one year no risk guarantee,  which means you can return the flirt pole for any reason during the one year span for a full refund, including shipping costs (if applicable)
Good customer service

CONS:
The price is a little high (but then again, Mom's cheap), but if your dog uses I think it'd be a good investment

     Overall, I give Squishy Face Studios 4 paws up for quality and durability! Head over there, and tell em Nola sent ya!

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola





I prefer to chew on it and tug it instead of chase and release. 





Yes, those are my ribs. No, I am not underweight. :)















19 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! Interesting design. It will sure helpful for my mom's arm/shoulder. Will check it out. Golden Thanks. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty cool idea, I must say. I can see it being perfect for someone with limited mobility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a lot of fun! The bungee cord is a good idea though it made Mommy kinda nervous when she watched the video of the big doggie pulling at it. She was so afraid the cord would snap or the lady would lose her grip and have the cord whip right at the dog. What a silly Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a very fun toy to play with!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of a cat toy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMD the FURST dawg in the video looks EXACTLY like our furend ROO !!

    That does seem to be a fun toy.. good exercise fur the PEEPS too..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks pretty cool. Thanks for the review
    Snorts,
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very awesome! We've been wanting a flirt pole for Titan! I know he'd love it as he loves to play tug! I'll have to check these out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks great. I might have to check them out. I am A HUGE CHEWER and destroy everything. I also love playing tug and might be the most active pug you've met. So, gotta try it. Thanks for the review!

    P.S. You like me throwing in the 1000 reasons why Bunk's your man in there?

    Love always,

    Bunk The Pug.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a lot of fun. Elliot loves anything you pull along the ground - he is like a cat!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Ma made me one of these!! She used PVC pipe, rope and a toy. It was really funs til I killed the toy! hehehehe
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nola, you are playing with a giant cat toy?!? BOL It looks like you had a good enough time with it. I think I might just want to destroy it if I had one.
    *Cairn cuddles*
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  13. If they're durable, then the price is worth it. You sure look like you're having fun with it!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dad says he is going to make me one of those to use when the weather gets better.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do not think I've ever seen ribs on a Dachshund before! Kudos to your mom for keeping you nice and trim (but not too trim)!

    Sounds like a cool toy - but I'm guessing Blueberry would have the same ho-hum reaction to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks and sounds like a fun toy! I think our cats, and maybe Penny, would enjoy it more than my Collies would though. I think they would loose interest too. I could see Penny playing with it for ages though.

    Anyway. You look so good, Nola! Looks like you showed that toy who's boss. ;)

    xoxo
    Marquie, Lassie & Petal

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great looking toy!! I'd love to play with you! :)

    Woofs & huggies, <3

    ~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always like to see fellow Floridians coming up with good dog products and this looks like a good one...Sure to save wear and tear on Momz shoulder :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nola, I like your pic, http://pinadog.com/dachshund/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!