Monday, February 18, 2013

Dachshund Nola Reviews: ToughHound Collar

     Hi, all! Today I'm doing a review of the ToughHound All Sports Dog Collar, which can be found at Dog Bark Collar.com. This review features my brother/minion/creature, Auggie.




Here's what the company said about their collar:


The ToughHound All Sports is a personalized collar, that lets you display the dog's name and address.
The collar is made from a highly durable polycoated nylon-webbing. This makes the collar maintenance free and will give you many years of rough and tumble with your pup. The Toughhound is designed to handle outdoor play, hunting and long training sessions. The collar can tolerate extreme cold and heat. The ToughHound non-porous surface drys quickly, will never absorb offensive odors and makes removing mud just a wipe away.
The collar features an integrated stainless steel laser-engraved nameplate. The advantage of the integrated nameplate is that it won’t jingle or fall from its ring, but it is also permanently attached to the collar band, so you can never switch out the nameplate or the collar band and instead need to replace the entire unit.
Select your custom message in the dialog boxes above. You can pick from 13 awesome fonts and you have up to four lines (each with 14 characters) to personalize the nameplate.
Our measures are true-to-size. Measure your dog’s current collar from the center of the buckle to the current sizing hole. Select the closest number in the drop-down for size.




Pros:
100% waterproof

Easy to clean, and looks new after cleaning

I love the engraved name plate; no more jingly tags. The etching is very precise,

Multiple colors to choose from: Midnight Black, Ocean Blue, Fall Orange, Espresso Brown, Neon Green, Neon Pink, Smart Red and Sunshine Yellow

Colors are bright

Well constructed

Durable. We're very rough on our collars, and it's still in good condition. It also hasn't cracked in the Florida sunshine.


Cons:
Dachshund Mommy: This is my biggest issue, but I'm really not a fan of the fact that the company primarily sells "bark", AKA shock , collars. If you've been around on this blog long enough, you'll know I am VERY pro Positive Reinforcement, and anti compulsion/punishment/pain/corrections. The company advocates training methods I do not approve of nor condone, and if I had not been offered a free product I wouldn't support the company with my own money. 

It'd be really nice if the collar had one of those loop things (don't ya love my technical terms?) to keep the excess part of the collar flat. Like the part of my collar:


It'd be nice if there were more collars.

They're a little pricy, but I think it'd be worth the money for the quality

It took a long time for the collar to arrive

You can't remove the band, so if you change your address/phone number you need to get a new collar




     Overall, I liked these collars, but not the overall website. Once again, you can find the collars here.

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

Disclaimer: I was sent a free collar in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.


Kisses for my brother

We put his name, our number, microchipped and his rank on the plate. 

I thought it was cool they had the size on the inside. 

Auggie's wearing the ocean blue color


Dachshund Mommy: In case you're wondering, Auggie is on leash because, unlike his sister Nola, it is next to impossible to take his picture. 




21 comments:

  1. I tried to get Elsie to read this, but she's too tired. From chewing Flo's collars to pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a nice looking collar. One of the features I don't like is the fact that the tags don't jingle. When we are outside and they are out of sight in the bush I appreciate a little jingle to know they are near by!

    Like you, I don't like the use of punishment procedures . . . it is disappointing they sell a shock collar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are trying this collar out as well!! I sure do like the blue!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very rough on my collars so mom liked this review very much. Recently she got me an ID tag (because I lost my rabies tag) so she may have to wait awhile before she spends anymore money! Love Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dachshund should be wearing harnesses....not collars....tugging with leashes can cause serious neck & back issues in dachshunds.
    We only wear Martingale collars when we are travelling, cause it has our rabies tags, address, etc. (we are microchipped too).

    Vest Harness are the safest harnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good review! We love that you are truthful and so honest about it. None of this fluff stuff.

    We love the color on Auggie. We don't like how the end of it is so long on him. Love the engraving and how they put the size on the inside.

    We're not a fan of the width size. We prefer collars that are a bit more delicate looking. After all, we are beauties you know!

    Of course, we always use our Hug-A-Dog harness when being hooked to a leash.

    Hope you have a pawsome Monday!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like the collar helps Auggie with his cross-dressing, yes?

    Keep on wagging,
    Tootsie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, our collar is waiting for us when we arrive at our home base today. We will see what we think too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for an honest review. They look very nice, but I can't wear collars because of my breathing issues.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Blue looks fantastic on you Augie! We read a review of this collar on Wyatt's blog a while back and we thought it looked like a great collar. Mom was going to orrder one for Otto. Well, first of all, their web site isn't secure, so she didn't want to put in her credit card info, THEN it took THREE CALLS to their '24-7' customer service line to get a call back. That came late Saturday afternoon when mom was not availible. So the collars may be good, but their customer service sucks!

    -Bart, Ruby and Otto

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you. I wouldn't want to support a company that focuses on negative reinforcement training either. Although the blue collar does look quite nice on Auggie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That collar looks like it can withstand quite a bit of rough and tumble. We're not keen on those shock collars either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at "Auggie." I don't know how many pictures it took to get these pictures of Auggie, but he looks like a modeling pro. Not as good as Nola, but Nola is a supermodel, so probably not a fair comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are really nice collars and a good review. I agree, there is no place for shock collars when you are training a dog of any breed.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are very purty collars and I thank you fur your honesty in reviewin' these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We only wear the cloth type collars that just go in the washing machine because we get them filthy.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review. We prefer snap closure. But you make one cute model
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah your collars are very cool, I just love it and we also enjoy reading your review thanks for sharing it to us! I learned a lot from you Nola!
    --

    Dog Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the integrated tag idea but the collar does not look like it fits well or is comfortable to wear.

    I love that you put "microchipped" on Augustine's collar. I did that with a tiny tag for Chester way back when he was a puppy. There was no room for his actual name so people said it was weird because they figured that people would just think that was his name :) Luckily, he was never lost so I never had to test that theory.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Post. The color is cool and that it says Auggie is chipped. We not chipped and neither is the hairy slobbery sisters - even though we travels - lots. We travels in Canada and the US and the microchips use different frequencies. We does has very special tattoos!!! :(
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!