Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"Shut a door!" Training

     Hi, everyone! So the new thing that Mom's teaching me is to shut a door. Pretty cool, huh? I'm not at the point where it's the finished product, but here's how I'm doing so far:
If you can't see the video, view it here.


      Dachshund Mommy: Currently, Nola is targeting a yogurt lid taped to the door to shut it. I will be either cutting the lid smaller and smaller till it's gone, or just removing it completely and cueing her to shut the door. Probably just remove it completely, since Nola is a very smart dog.

     I taught her this trick by teaching what's called behavior chain (i.e. you teach lots of smaller parts, then string them together to have a complete behavior). First I taught her to target a yogurt lid with her foot. Then once she had that down, I taped the lid to the wall. Once she mastered hitting that, I taped it to a closed door. And now she's progressed on to actually shutting the door!

     Nola is trained with Positive Reinforcement and Negative Punishment. I use a clicker and food rewards exclusively with her. I don't yell at, hit, smack, Alpha Roll, jerk or otherwise hurt my dog, physically or emotionally. I've said it many times before, but clicker training/Positive Reinforcement is the best and in my opinion only way to train animals. Feel free to check out Nola's training page here for more info on training the "Untrainable".

     Keep an eye out for a new video once I've mastered this trick!

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

22 comments:

  1. This is amazing! What treats do you use? Snoopy has terrible food allergies and he always reacts to the treats used by the trainer at PetSmart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow mom will be checking out your training page, or could you just come to our house, and work with us? We will furnish the treats of course.
    stella rose
    p.s. Maggie is getting better with her housetraining..it is so cold outside we are using pee pads, she manages to poo on the pads, and pee in front of the door, maybe if we taught her to open it .......

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went back and read your page on training..it was very good and informative..mom is going to use things you talked about at home, and work with mags and me more. She needs to get dad on the same page first. pugs are supposedly very stubborn also, heheheheh.....we will let you know how it is going. thanks for the info.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pawsome job Nola! You're Mom sure is a good trainer. Your brain is like a sponge ~ just soaking it all up.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I went to a positive training sessions when I was little! It is great! Beth used to use a clicker and now she just makes the noise with her mouth....it works! Keep up the good work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool. Teach us how to open the fridge
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, Nola! Mommy does positive training with me too but not clicker training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD, that is so good!!! I am with Benny and Lily...How do I get that fridge door to open! BOL!!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are one clever little dog Nola!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're amazing Miss Nola. You are going to be on TV someday.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great trick. Our Lady won't teach Lee to do anything near doors. She says it may encourage her to open them! Our Lady is a behaviour analyst and a full supporter of reinforcement procedures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fantastic Nola! I'm learning to open a door by pulling on a tug thing tied to the door handle, but we haven't gotten to learning how to close the door yet. My mom trains like your mom, using a clicker and treats. That's the way all my trick dog friends are trained. (We're lucky we have such smart moms, aren't we?)

    your pal,
    Garth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woof! Woof! LOVE it! Congrats. Hope they teach you how to open it too. Lots of Golden Woof,s Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and I are absolutely on the same page with training techniques (except that I can never get it together to make videos of our training!). I love seeing Nola work so happily. That's what your type of training does.

    Closing a door will be a good trick for my list... but we're still working on more basic stuff right now!

    Nola is one smart cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. .,Woof Woof Nola, Great Job! You're mom surely is a good trainer. Keep it up...

    Blessings,
    Heated Dog Bed

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nola! Yous does that so very well! That is pretty darn cool!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nola you are so cool and so smart.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done Nola, Typist is tempted to try this with her dog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's both equally educative and
    entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something which not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i'm very happy that I came across this during my hunt for something regarding this.

    Feel free to visit my blog post 62886
    Also see my site - alleviative

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!