Monday, December 3, 2012

My VET Visit

     Hi, everyone! As y'all know, I went to the vet on Friday for my yearly exam and to have my knee checked for luxating patella (slipping knee cap, which thankfully I don't have!).
This was a new vet, and he is PAWSOME! Funny, gentle with me and I liked him. You know, as much as you can like a vet. The practice is small, but very clean and very friendly. The receptionist gets to take her dogs to work, and guess what? She has a Doxie! A very fat, 7ish year old brindle female. She also has a two year old Boston Terrier female.





     I was very, very well behaved! Mom was so proud of me. I sat quietly on Mom's lap while we waited to get check out, even though a big dog stuck his nose in my face, there was a very loud cat not 4 feet from me, and some lady had a terribly obnoxious little dog that was barking and growling at me.

Just being a good girl, as always. 

     Dachshund Mommy: NOTHING pisses me off as much as rude small dogs. If Gigi's barking at another dog either a) put the dog on the floor so it's not guarding you or b) put the dog back in it's bag. There's no excuse for a yappy little powder puff to be barking it's head off at my perfectly behaving dog. Nola just sat on my lap, ignoring the dog as it barked it's head off at her. Occasionally, she'd look up at me like "what's wrong with that thing?".

     I try very hard to be a good ambassador for small dog owners, and have Nola be a good ambassador for both Dachshunds and smaller dogs, both of which get a bad rap. Nola walks well on a leash, doesn't snap, generally ignores other dogs, has basic and advanced training, I don't have her in a purse, she is a CGC (Canine Good Citizen) and if she barks I take control of the situation, either by picking her up or putting her down, or walking away from whatever she's barking at. 
It frustrates me to no end that other small dog owners don't take the same level of responsibility over their dogs. 

Sit/stay while Mom checked out. 

     When we went to pay, I did a sit stay while Mom talked to the receptionist (and cooed over the kittens available for adoption). Stressful place, new people, other dogs...doesn't get more distracting then that!

      I'm in fabulous condition! Gleaming coat, clean ears, no anal gland issues, beautiful teeth (no tarter on them at all), incredible muscle tone and I'm at an ideal weight. In fact, when Mom asked how my weight was, the vet did two things. First, he showed us this (I rank as a four):

Click to enlarge. 
That's right, Sweetie and Sugar, IDEAL!

Then he brought in the receptionist's Dachshund, and showed us how overweight she was compared to my lean, muscled frame. Mom spent a huge amount time gloating to my grandparents (who always poke fun and say I'm fat) how I was ideal, BOL!

The picture of health and beauty.


Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola
PS From Dachshund Mommy: I cannot go anywhere with Nola and not  hearing: "Aww, she's SO CUTE!!!!!" 
As long as Mom was in my sight, I was okay. 

"But I want Momma to hold me!" I even gave this vet tech kisses! 

38 comments:

  1. Hey Nola!
    Wow, what a great dogtor visit! I think you did great and I feel bad for those other pooches who hurt our ears. BOL You definitely got an A+++ for this healthy appointment.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great report - good job at being a good dog Nola. (btw, mom says ALL dogs should behave in public and their owners need to get a grip, but yeah, she has had more than her fair share of yappy little dogs that make her nuts)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nola you are a lean mean machine..i have a cuz who is a cheweinie and he is really chubby although he only eats what he is supposed to...it is a mystery!!! You did good at the vet!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so happy Nola that you don't have knobby knees or what ever that that patella thingie means.

    You are a very good little one at the Vet's. We don't bark when we're there either because we're too busy shaking!

    We agree totally with your Mom about other little yappy puppers. They give us all a bad rap that's for sure.

    Nope! Not an ounce of fat on ya. Our FL Vet said Muffin lost 2 pounds (ha!) we can't figure out where she lost them. OK, she did lose a little weight and we're proud of her for that.

    Now that the Vet's is all over with, you can relax and enjoy the sunshine!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you had a great vet check up. Thank you for being such a good pup while at the doctor--unlike the other little yapper--We used to live next door to two little yappers that drove my shepherd and us nuts. Good job NOLA.
    P.s. you look marvelous darling, simply marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very good vet report! Mommy can't stand irresponsible pet parents either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a good vet visit!! If there was a scale for beautiful, you would be OFF the chart, Nola! Not to mention smart and well behaved!!

    -Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great visit and you are one awesome girl to be so well behaved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woof! Woof! Golden Happy to hear a good visit. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well we have one thing to say about you, "AWESOME"

    Your Pals
    Susie & Officer Bites

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Nola!! :-D You are a stellar rep for us small pups!! Dude, Nola's Mom, we hate little dogs that are either yappy or anally retentive too!!! It makes everyone think that we are all like that, but they are the minority not the norm! Too bad the loudest and most obnoxious are the ones that people remember, huh? Pft! :-D You are definitely not fat girl, more like gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome report but you not need a vet to tells you you is perfect.
    I can't go no wheres without peoples askin' if I is a chiwawa...WTF?

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are okay, Erm we can't really comment on yappy little dogs :) Although we never bark in the vets (must be the terror!)
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was there any doubt that you were anything but ideal? You are perfect in every way Nola! I am so glad your vet visit went of without a hitch. You are a model patient!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your splendid report! We're usually too scared to bark at the vet's!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay on the awesome vet visit!!! It's such a nice feeling when they get a great exam! I love that you are at the perfect weight and have muscle tone! It's so important to stay healthy and lean!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Girl gotted home from school and seen your Christmas card...her said I looks like Auggie. I thoughted you's get a kick out of dat.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always forgive the other dogs at the vet's that are unruly - it's a stressful situation for them and they don't always act perfectly (like you!). Even Blueberry doesn't do a perfect sit and stay, but she's quiet and is mostly curious about the other furries. My golden retriever mix Copper used to bark his head off at the other dogs he saw there - it was so embarrassing. I would usually leave him in the car or stand outside with him until it was our turn.

    I agree - most little dogs can be overly yappy and I am always pleased to meet the less yappy, more well-socialized ones on our walks. Thank you for being a good ambassador! You are, indeed, IDEAL in many different ways! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear that your vet visit went well. Bokeh has to go tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad that you're healthy & that your such a good doggie!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well ob behalf of the owner of a dog who is very barky at the vets office, Weasley, I apologize. I always make an effort to stop him by distracting him with a treat, walking him, or picking him up but I have not been able to get him to stop yet. He is very barky in general. I usually go outside if it gets really bad. My personal vet visit pet peeve is when people let their dog greet yours without permission. I am glad the vet visit went well

    urban hounds

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you BFF Nola (and of course your minions also) for the BEAUTIFUL card! We just LOVE it!! As soon as we find a way to hang them, yours is gonna be front and center.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  23. HECK SAKES... WE could have saved you a trip to the Dogtor...
    WE know you are PAWFECT in EVERY way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I ditto Frankies comment: PAWFECT of course!

    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry, Mom, but she IS cute - there, you heard it again from us:0

    Great report.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you had a good visit with the vet. Too bad the waiting room wasn't as pleasant.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad your check up went well. I like to keep my dogs on the thin side of healthy. That is a great chart - I just don't think owners realize their dogs are just too big.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad your vet visit went well. I don't like yappie little dogs or big dogs either, that is rude! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nola you is the bestest! My hairy slobbery sister could learn lots from yous!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Not many things better than an A+ vet visit!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We always knew you were perfect! (you do know ideal is just another word for perfect right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fat? Fat?? My gosh, Nola, I am glad the doctor cleared that up. You are obviously a very svelte little pup!

    I am glad you had such a good trip to the vet :) And good job ignoring those naughty pups in the waiting room; that can be tricky to do!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So glad to hear your vet visit went well! And, Dachshund Mommy, I totally understand where you are coming from regarding the yapping dog! I am far from an expert, but your resolutions on what to do in case your little one reacts in a similiar way is just common sense, and to know that some dog parents do not have that is so sad! :(

    ReplyDelete
  34. Of course you are in great health! Your mom takes VERY good care of you. And as for your party manners, a diva must always be poised and elegant, right? Poor yappy one needs some basic work in etiquette, maybe it was just following bad examples learned at home?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such great news from the vet, Nola! So glad you are so healthy! You always look in FABULOUS shape to me.

    Keep on wagging,
    Tootsie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Always great to get a clean bill of health

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!