Thursday, December 20, 2012

December Photo Challenge: Week 2 +2 Extra Days

     Hi, everyone! Dachshund Mommy here with week 2 (and 2 extra days) of the December Photo a Day Challenge. This is the week I had the flu, so if the pictures suck there's my very valid excuse. :p

I included the two extra days because day 16 is something I've been itching to write about for quite a while. So, here goes!

DAY 16: SOMETHING YOU MADE

     I'm going to start this off by saying I think of myself as a creative person. But, I'm not creative in the artsy, crafts and paint and pencils and shit kind of way.

     I don't have the patience for crafts, the steady hand and dedication for painting, the eye for sketches. Photography is my art. Yes, I fully consider photography art. Photography, in my not so humble opinion, is perhaps the most difficult and beautiful kind of art. To do it right, you not only need to have a very sharp eye for detail and beauty where others overlook it, you need to be at least somewhat tech savvy and be able to take your photos from start to finish. In essence, you need a wider variety of tools and skills than most other art forms.

     So since day 16 is something I made, I'm showing you one of my favorite photos I've taken of little Nola.
I put myself into every picture I take. When I take a photo, I want people to feel the way I felt when I took the picture when they see the photo.

     I've noticed that the vast majority of people ignore or brush pass so much. Beauty, love, anger, passion, tenderness, sadness, peace, confusion, joy. And that makes me sad. All this beauty is around us, and so many of us ignore it. When was the last time you stopped to admire a couple just holding hands, or a baby smiling for no reason, and truly let yourself feel? Damn, this is sounding really new-agey hippyish. Sorry.

     But back to my original thought. I see the world in full color, in exact detail, the way it is. I see through the everyday ho-hum so many people get stuck on. And that is what I want people to see when they look at my photos. I hope they're seeing what's actually there, pure and simple. I hope they see what emotions are in the photo. I hope they see the pieces of myself I've happily left in every photo.

   Ooh, emotions in photos! Since I'm totally rambling now like I've gone off the deep end, why not?
There are emotions in every photo I take, both the subject's and the emotions the photo evoked in me. But to anyone besides the photographer and usually the subject,  the emotions are never fully known. Look at the photo below:



Are those tears of pain? Loss? Happiness? Exhaustion? You will never know.

What about this one?:

A happy couple on a casual stroll? A bittersweet goodbye, with no words needed? Are they happy? Sad?

And this one?


A walk with a best friend? A passed friend who's still with me?

     Well, there's my convoluted and totally pointless ramble. I truly have no idea where that came from. CliffNotes version it all:
Photography is art
I have no patience
I put myself into my photos
Photos are full of emotions
You can never be entirely sure of the emotions in said photos, unless you're behind the camera
I ramble

 Here's the actually post! Which of these is your favorite?

Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy

Don't have a day 9, I was way too sick to even lift my camera.

Day 10: Under
Day 11: Sweet


Day 12: Hat

Day 13: Lights
I love Christmas; so many great bokeh effects!


Day 14: Something green

Day 15: Outside

Day 16: Something you made
MY art. 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Nola's Mama!
    The Slimmer Puggums mama here. I am totally okay with your rant...you have totally inspired me to take more photos of my babies (and I just got a better camera to boot). Anywho...my favorites are the "green" and the last photo with Nola and the skyline...just beautiful.
    Much Love,
    Mama Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the pictures are great, but the best ones, of course, are of Nola. I love days 11 and 16 best.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post today will make mom and i look deeper into peoples photo's...sometimes the business of life does just get in the way doesn't it and we just need to STOP and examine what is right in front of us! I loved the picture of the feet in the sand, and that made me start thinking about angel turd and sammer, SO because we are in the middle of a hellish freakish blizzard I and mom are gonna walk around outside just to see if we can see evidence of them beside us. (Dad says we are nuts, cos sammer and turd are to smart to be outside in this storm!!)
    stella Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE like the UNDERCOVER one Best.
    Photography IS an art form... fur sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you think (cuz I am similar)!! YOu're photos are wonderful and so full of art.
    **we must be shutter sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love outside and my art. Those black and white pictures are so touching.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sniff, sniff... We can't write much cuz you made Mommy cry! She can't even focus on the keyboard at the moment..... Truly a beautiful post.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY hard to choose this week. I'm going with Day 16: Something you made. I agree with you. You are an artist and photography is your medium.

    Nola and Minions 3...Freedom, Casper, Nikki & Twinkie here. Thank you for our Christmas card. It was SUPER cute and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dachshund Mommy....
    The flu!! Ew!! Get better soon, Friend!! ;)
    In my opinion, "art" comes in many diverse forms. I write. That is my art. You snap pictures. That is your art!! And, being a "creative" person, coming from someone who has recently discovered this about herself brings its pro's and con's. If you are like me--and I am crazy!!--then your head never turns off!! But. Then again, I'm seldom ever bored!! By the way? Writers need to have a "very sharp eye for detail and beauty where others overlook it", as well!! ;-D
    "I've noticed that the vast majority of people ignore or brush pass so much. Beauty, love, anger, passion, tenderness, sadness, peace, confusion, joy. And that makes me sad. All this beauty is around us, and so many of us ignore it. When was the last time you stopped to admire a couple just holding hands, or a baby smiling for no reason, and truly let yourself feel?" Good reminder!! ;-]
    Because I can be a rebellious, rule-breaking, pain-in-the-ass, I like your feet/paw print picture!! You did snap that, right? ;op
    Love, Raelyn.... And Rose, my BEAUTIFULLY UNIQUE "Mystery Dog"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both posts! Ramble On!!!!!

    And, please keep showing us your wonderful photos. I love that last one of Nola. At first, I thought that she was standing on snow... then I realized - duh!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!