Thursday, December 6, 2012

Dachshund Nola's Adventures in Advanced Trick Training

     Hi, everyone! It's been a while since I've done a training update, so here goes!
But before I get to that, I want to show y'all a picture of some ways to train dogs. It's called "The Four Quadrants of Operant Conditioning". See below for what that means.

     I am trained with Positive Reinforcement (adding something I like to increase a behavior. Example: I sit and I get a treat) and Negative Punishment (taking something away I like to decrease a behavior. Example: like the picture shows, Mom stops when I pull till the leash is slack). I'm Clicker Trained.
Positive Reinforcement is the best and more human way to train dogs (and dolphins, rats, even cats!). It is humane, fast and fun for both the owner and the dog.

I love clicker training!


     I've been working hard on my tricks! Here's a video of my advanced trick training.



I'm also working on:
Pick up an object
Turn (spin clockwise)
Weave poles
Hurtles
Putting my paws (front and back) on books
Back up
Targeting and object with my paws (Dachshund Mommy: once Nola gets this down, I'll move on to teaching her to shut a door)
Formal heeling
Go find! (nosework/scent trailing games)
Drop into a down during a recall

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

19 comments:

  1. I'm very very impressed. Unfortunately the word "trick" isn't in my vocab..... Deccy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mornin' Darling Nola!

    (Tee~hee~hee...) I already watched your video at our "other top secret location." Isn't it just pawsome that you and I have a secret place?

    We think your Mommy is doing an EXCELLENT job on your training. Of course, you're the REAL star of the show. Hey, I can't believe I already know one of the tricks you are trying to learn - back up. Yup, learned that a long time ago as a puppy. But ya know what? I don't know most of the other ones you do. You're a smart cookie I tell ya. Oh, did someone say cookie?

    We hope that you have a great Thursday! See ya soon in our secret spot.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nola, looks like your about to get Mom trained, you are doing an excellant job with her. Could you come over and teach that to our peeps.

    Your Pals
    Susie & Bites

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Nola! Good job! We like training tricks, it's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positive reinforcement is a much better and humane way to train our furriends. We enjoyed the video of your advanced trick training. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Positive reinforcement is totally the way to go!! I love it (and I love cheese and hotdogs)! Wow, those are some hard tricks that you are working on, but I bet in a couple of tries you'll have them all! I love to spin! It's one of the first tricks that I got and liked! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We get plenty of positive reinforcement but just wont do anything for it, ha!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use positive reinforcement too - I just don't like to yell or be mean! I can be firm - but being mean, can't do it. Good job with Nola - she has learned very well! So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Usually we're green, but Roxy went over the line into RED this morning. Kept lunging at a dog running along the fence line. Oh well, she is a teenage dog...so we know her behaviour will improve.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job. Positive reinforcement works best with us too
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nola....
    I'm back in the saddle again!! I have missed your sweet face!! ;)
    I love the new Header picture!! Very Christmassy!! ;op
    Love, Raelyn.... And Rose, my BEAUTIFULLY UNIQUE "Mystery Dog"!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NOLA! YOU ARE FABULOUS! We are ashamed of our lazy selves after watching your video.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a very smart girl. I'm just starting my training and our class uses positive reinforcement too.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your Mom make a great team, Nola. You are so smart and so obedient too. We loved watching your video.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, you are a smart gurl, that's fursure! I am not food motivated, so treaties during training doesn't work when I am all excited abouts other doggies, so Ma is stimied abouts what to do about that...

    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww. We're so proud you got lots of tricks on your sleeve (errr, collar). That's amazing, Nola... Now, when will mom be teaching you to dominate the world and ask them little minions to invent the ultimate weapon. LOL.

    Huggies and Cheese,

    Haopee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!