Monday, October 15, 2012

Help For Mrs. E and CGC?

     Hi, everyone! Here's Mom to tell y'all the first part of today's post.

     Dachshund Mommy: Thanks, Nola! So, does anyone remember our neighbors, Mr. B and Mrs. E? If not, read about them here. I'm terrible saddened to say that Mr. B lost his fight with the evil C on July 31st. His wife, Mrs. E, is holding up as well as can be expected and my family is taking care of her, having her over for dinners, talking to her, being there, mowing her yard, whatever she needs. 
But she is struggling with money and cannot afford to get a headstone for Mr. B's grave. We want to help her, and since Blogville is such a wonderful place Nola and I thought we'd put a ChipIn up to help Mrs. E cover the costs. Please, if you're able, it'd mean the world to Mrs. E (and us) if you could help her. No amount is too small. If you're unable to donate, we completely understand. But it'd mean a lot if you could leave a few words for Mrs. E and let her know people are rooting for her. 

     On a slightly related note, Saturday we headed over to one of the cemeteries here in town to help clean it up. It's so sad to see people's resting places in such states of neglect. We picked up trash and helped a lovely older lady spruce up her family plot. It was a very satisfying experience :).


     I'm back! So next month, there will be a dog event (AKC's responsible dog ownership day) in my city where they'll have things like meet the breed, demos for Rally-O, Agility (!) and Flyball, as well as a Search and Rescue demo, and there will be testing for the Canine Good Citizen award! Purty cool.
Mom's been toying with the idea of having me tested, and I think we'll go and see how we do next month!
To pass the CGC test, you have to to 10 things (read a more in depth description here):

  1. Accept a friendly stranger
  2. Sit politely for petting
  3. Appearance and grooming (where the evaluator exams your feet and ears and brushes you)
  4. Walk on a loose leash
  5. Walk through a crowd
  6. Sit, Down and Stay on command
  7. Come when called
  8. Pass by another dog/handler team and not react
  9. Not react to distraction
  10. Supervised separation (you're left with an evaluator while your human leaves for 3 minutes)
                   

     The ones I'm worried about are 2,3 and 10. I'm a little shy and leery of strangers. Not aggressive, just not a dog that likes strangers. 10 is the big one though; I'm very bonded to Mom and don't know how I'd do if she left. Can y'all give me some advice on being a bit more excepting of people and on separation? I'm trained with positive reinforcement and clicker training.

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

23 comments:

  1. Sad news Nola. You had a load more comments yesterday which I posted this morning. Have a great Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are so sorry for Mrs. E.....

    Socialization is the key for you. Mom has taken dogs to local pet stores and just hung out for a while (with treats) making everything a positive experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry for your neighbor! I hate seeing cemetaries in that state as well. Good luck on your testing too! Three minutes is a long time - I know Sam just did this for one of his tests too - maybe they can give some advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practice by leaving Nola with a friend and walking out of sight. The grooming exam sounds worse than it is, and the two times I've tested with my dogs, it was just a quick swipe with a brush and a light touch on the ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to the Chip In and left a few green papers fur your neighbor.
    My mom and dad gave each other their Funerals Grave Site and Headstone... fur their BIRFDAY... about 15 years ago. Butt not everybuddy thinks ahead like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just checked to be SURE that the Chip In worked... and I see that it did. Not much butt as you said... every green paper HELPS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're sorry Mr B lost his fight. We hope Mrs E is able to get enough green papers to have a headstone made for Mr B.
    We don't have any advice for you but we want to wish you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your neighbor. We would fail #8. My Lily doesn't like certain furry kids. Net you will pass with flying colors
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice thing to do. We hope Mr B gets his headstone.
    As for the CGC test, we are proud to say we fail on every single thing on the list, BOL!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Green papers"..Frankie, yous hilarious!! I'll see if Ma has any 'green papers' layin' around for donatin'! Everyone should have a respectful restin' place.
    Oh, I could NEVER pass that test Nola!!! hehehe Really, I would flunk BIG TIME, buts I'm sure you'll do ACES!!

    Kisses,

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, the 'chipin' worked! Ma left a few buck, I hope it helps a little!

    Kisses,

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a nice thing to do....hope all works out....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't think we'd pass that test! We do a couple of those things when we feel like it. And our doxie friend doesn't do anything she's asked to do.

    That's so nice of you to help the neighbour during her sadness.

    We'll leave a little something.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this might seem like a very odd question. But do you know if Mr. B was a veteran? In the state of Oregon ( and I think everywhere ) the veterans administration will place a free headstone for him if he was one. ( I work for a funeral home so hence my odd knowledge of this )

    I have a feeling you will do utterly amazing on your test. You're too cute not too. ;)

    XoXo's
    Sarah & le Weens
    http://doxiejibberish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. B. I sure hope he gets his headstone. I think you will do great at your test! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful thing to do for your neighbor. I hope you pass your test. I have no advice other than practice if you can. Have your mom round up a bunch of strangers...well, maybe that's not the best advice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have my CGC and it wasn't that bad. It is actually a little easier now because on #10 they didn't used to be allowed to even talk to the dog when they would take them but now they can pet and talk to them. Dog just can't freak out and cry like crazy when separated from the owner. To work on it, have people that your dog doesn't know take her away, give her lots of praise and cookies. Go out of sight and see how she does. This is how we practiced for that part of it. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear about your neighbor. Good luck on the CGC test.

    Cindy & Millie

    ReplyDelete
  19. We're so sorry to hear about your neighbor. Very sad. That #10 was hard for Tucker, too, but eventually he got it.

    We'd also like to let you know that we have an award for you over at our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm very sorry for your neighbor :( The C touches all of us, it seems.

    I want to get Elka's CGC as well, but have concerns about 2, 3, and 8. Elka doesn't like sitting while greeting people, though she no longer jumps. She also likes "helping" when I brush her, which involves wagging her head around with her mouth open.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a heart of gold- that is for sure.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you are able to get the headstone for your neighbour that is very sad. Best of luck with the testing, our lady knows we would fail!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh Nola, I don't know how we ever missed this post! We are so truly sorry to hear that Mr. B lost his hard battle. I'm glad that he was at least able to enjoy all the love we here in Blogville sent his way. Please let Mrs. E know that we too are sending her our love.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!