Friday, October 5, 2012

Belated Taco Pictures and Our Food and It's Benefits

     Hi, everyone! Here's my belated taco day photos, and a Food Day/home feeding benefits/our diet for new comers post. Enjoy!



Where's my taco?!

Eyes on the prize

This is what I wound up getting. A chip with some meat, cheese and lettuce. Mom said something about keeping my figure. She's the one who had 7 tacos (fast metabolism, but that's beside the point.)!

Oh well, I'll take what I can get.


     My minions and I are fed homemade food. I have terrible allergies to corn and soy, and the high end dog kibbles are $$$$. So, the peeps started cooking for us! We've been on homemade food for about a year now, and are NEVER going back to commercial dog food!

Benefits of homemade food:
Gorgeous, shiny, soft coats
Small, not-too-smelly poop
More muscle, less fat
I was less than slender on kibble. This is me on homemade food.

Energy galore
Clean, white teeth
Clean ears
No "doggy odor" Even though my breed in general has low odor, we'd start to stink of commercial dog food after about two weeks. We get monthly baths now, and no stink!
Less shedding
Strong immune system
Better focus
The same cost (or less) than high quality dog food
You control and know everything that goes into your dog
You can tailor the food easily to your dog's specific needs
Overall stunning health


This week's food contains:
1 pack of ground beef
1 bag of mixed veggies; carrots, cauliflower and broccoli
2 celery stalks
6 radishes
3 potatoes (cooked)
4 apples
1 cup pineapple
3 TBSP ground flaxseed
A small pinch of salt
1 TBSP cinnamon


This is the radish, potatoes and celery 

The other veggies

Grated veggies

The veggie portion 

Fresh picked apples

We cook the meat, Mom's too squeamish for raw.

Veggies, apples and pinapple

All done!

Took mom about 45mins to an hour, total, to make.

     That will last us about a week, but we eat a LOT for our size. In a household with less active pups, this would be a 2-3 weeks supply.
I (8lbs) get 1 1/2 cups, Phoenix (4-5lbs) gets 1, Auggie (12-14lbs) gets 4 and Boston  (13-15lbs) gets 3-4. We also get a snack of yogurt, a kelp supplement and ground eggshell daily. Added to this, depending on the day, is pumpkin or cottage cheese.

     Who's coming for dinner?

Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola



24 comments:

  1. Your posts actually encouraged me to cook for my pups... :) They LOVE it and you are right, they look healthier and seem to enjoy meal time more than when it was just the dry commercial stuff.

    Do you feed your food cold?

    Shelle, Milo, Dixie and Newby,
    http://simpaticodreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so good. Mom would love o o that but with four big dogs, that would be a lot. We think we could clean out that container in a day or two.


    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. Better than stuff out of a bag or a can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great mom, we have some homemade mixed with kibble, our mom runs out of time to feed just raw food for us six doggies...looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you got to have a taco. We never thought about homemade food. You should put up so reciepes so we can know how to make them. Now, I know why you are so pretty!!

    wags
    Jazzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. We suddenly want more tacos
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better late than never...those tacos look so yummy and mostly it was your cute little face peeking at the food that gor me smiling. My Rich Boy is coming over to join for dinner!!!! Your homemade food is so nutritious! Yum yum!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    Sankissjuice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blueberry knocked me down and ran out the door - I think she's headed to your place for dinner!

    I actually buy Blueberry high-end dog food plus I also usually put cooked lamb or organic beef or sweet potatoes in with it to give her some variety. It's a happy medium for me and she loves it. You are very lucky that your human cooks it all for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, well, that's more than we got Nola - right Mum!
    Your home made dinners look very tasty and the benefits are plain for everyone to see.
    Dip Briidge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ma would die if she had to do that for me! That would be an all day project!! Plus, I have issues with my colon, and I am stable on the prescription food the vettie has me on, so she is terrified to switch. But....if it helps with weight....

    Kisses,

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waggy Tail, count me for supper!!! Me and mom and still trying to get dad off the wallet for allergy testing! Me and my mom are convinced that homemade food is the best for me, but dad wants to know for 100% sure that I have allgeries..good grief...I guess we need to have dad ready your blog!

    Looks yummy as usual!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a super picky eater, so Domeek cooks my breakfast and then I eat tin food for dinner...but your nummies look absolutely delicious! Maybe I should try some! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? A chip with some meat and cheese? You got gypped Nola! Although, I can see why your Momma wants to keep your lovely shape. Your guys taco spread looks awesome. I love your Momma's plates.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mommy cooks for us too! But she isn't as adventurous as your Mom in terms of trying new stuff. :( She says something about the kitties being picky with their food.

    ...Whisky

    ReplyDelete
  15. We eat a high end kibble...so we only get about 1/2 cup...but SHE feels guilty so SHE adds extra vegies and rice.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am only to the point where I feed high quality food mixed with veggies. I admire your dedicated cooking/feeding plan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Nola! Tell your Mama that I almost flipped out when I saw the plates in the taco pics! My grandmother had plates like those and I have one plus a sugar bowl that was hers, and a serving bowl that I found in an antique store! Small world! Ok, now to get serious...I love the blue tutu, it is so you girl! And the food looks yummy. I've been giving my 4-pack more human food with their kibble; we may switch over 100% soon, looks yummy ( and the tacos, well, they looked awfully good)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy, yum, yum! Your dinners look like ours!
    We likes homemade so much Cinnamon won't eat canned (she likes the Rachel Rae though)
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds great. Mum likes the idea of homemade food and has started giving me some frozen raw food and I've always had veggies. Storage would be a bit of an issue for the amount I eat! Deccy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birfday, Nola!! You look fantastic! Your food looks wonderful. Bart weighs 112# and Ruby weighs 90#, we think mom would be cookin' all week!!

    -Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Nola! With a homecooked diet like yours you will be healthy and happy for a very long time. Momma cooks for us, too. Mackerel is our usual protien source. We suggest you mom consider adding turmeric to your great mixture; it is a fantastic anti-inflammatory and preventative for arthrisitis and cancer and is excellent for allergies/skin conditions. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am very interested in learning more about this. I will be checking out the links on your "Eat Like a Princess" page. I'm curious how your mom transitioned you from kibble to a homemade diet. Did the Big D show up?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lookin' good Nola. You get a bath once a month? That's the spa treatment. I only bathe Chester and Gretel a few times a year (although they do get a quick wipe with a baby wipe now and then).

    ReplyDelete
  24. We love seeing other doggies on a natural home made diet! Apples are big favorite over here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!