Friday, August 24, 2012

August Photo Challenge: Week Three and One Slimmed Down Doxie



     Hi everyone! Dachshund Mommy here. A lot of you were curious in yesterday's post as to how/why Nola has lost weight, so I figured I'd tell you.
Let me say first that Nola was by no means overweight. At all. All she needed to lose to be at her ideal weight was around 10ozs to 1lb, so it's not like she had some huge and dramatic weight loss. I'm basing her ideal weight on the fact that:
1) As much jumping as she does (no matter how much I try to stop her), she needs to be as lean as possible. 2) It's scientifically proven that lean dogs live longer, healthier lives, and 3) Nola will be starting agility (for now, just in our backyard) later this year and extra weight is a big no-no. 4) The less weight she's carrying around, the less of the risk of IVDD (back problems, for you non Doxies)

Before. Chunky. No tuck up, thick chest, chubby thighs, ribs felt if you poked hard enough.

Before. Not too bad, but could be better.

After! Nice tuck up, lean legs, ribs easily felt but not seen, deep but slim chest.


After! Perfect!

     She's now pure muscle, and it honestly was not that hard at all to get her to where she is. All I did cut down her "actual" homemade food down to once a day, and give her an afternoon snack of plain, fat free yogurt (which is good for them!), resist sharing unhealthy food with her and instead give her salad, fruit ect, use healthy treats during training (i.e. freeze dried raw treats, carrot, apple, strawberries, chicken meat, pineapple ect) and put her out in the yard to chase around the minions, in addition to me going out to kick around her ball every evening.
The weight just came off! She's so much healthy looking and acting now, and has more energy. If you work at it, it's not hard at all to get your dog to lose weight.


     Since I rambled on enough about that, here's week 3 of the August Photo A Day Challenge! Which of these is your favorite?
Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy
P.S. This week's aren't the best, but we've been SO busy!
Day 15: Ready


Day 16: Food
Day 17: Faces
This picture is terrible. I apologize. 


Day 18: Inside
Taken with my iPhone 3s



Day 20: Today

Day 21: Cool
My lens was foggy and created an awesome effect

Day 19: Hole
I have no idea why Blogger won't let me post this chronologically. 

27 comments:

  1. She is looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dachshund Mommy....
    Wow!! Nola is looking quite trim!! ;)
    I like: Day 15: Ready. Too cute!! ;op
    Love, Raelyn.... And Rose, my BEAUTIFULLY UNIQUE "Mystery Dog"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nola is lookin' all svelte! Of course, me bein' a doxie and all...I knows all too well bouts back issues...my brudder has proven dat. Howevers, you can sees my ribs...mum don't feed me.
    I can't wait fur Nola to start agility.

    I loves dat flower, awesome your foggy lens did it...hehehe.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, Day 15 it is. Uh, was that a "before" picture? :)
    Nola looks really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dachshund Mommy for telling us how Nola lost the weight. We (yes, Muffin and I) both need to lose some weight. But we get too hungry by 8pm and talk up a storm to be fed. Mommy is thinking of splitting our two meals into three to see how that works. She's also beefed up our meals with green beans and pumpkin too. Treats are abound with Grandpa here. He doesn't remember he shouldn't give us food. We think you always look good, but you're right about the back problems.

    We love the flower picture thru the foggy lens. It is a real cool effect.

    Hope you're having a great day Nola!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lookin' good Nola!! Your Moms is brillant.

    Kisses,

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like ready most. I always thought Nola was really slim.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the day 15 pic!

    Nola looks really excellent! She's a long, lean, agility machine! Dogs can loose weight and get into shape so much easier than we can! Good for you for keeping her lean to keep her healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good lookin Nola. Did you see the new rescue doxie who weighs 77 pounds (way more than me!!) https://www.facebook. com/BiggestLoserDoxieEdition ?? His old peeps were literally feeding him to death!

    ~mason

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmmmmm..we'd LIKE to be nice and swelte BUT we LOVE food....just sayin'.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just as long as you don't decide to become one of those RUNAWAY Models.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nola's diet sounds very sensible, which is why it works! Love all these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nola, you be lookin' good! And here I thought I was doin good with my diet. Guess not after lookin at you!

    Be safe if the Hurry-Cane goes in your direction. Looks like we'll all get hit in one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you got a good looking bod furry kid
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flower is very cool! But Nola is the cutest!

    Licks,
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nola is looking great! You know how I keep my dogs- nice lean and tucked! I think just having a home made diet is half the battle in weight loss- it is so easy to look at your dogs and either trim a little fat or cut back on volume a bit without them even noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking good Nola! I wish I could slim down with such ease like you!

    I like the food picture the best-go figure:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nola, you look fabulous. Can't wait to hear about your agility work! This week, I'm crazy for Day 21: Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look marvelous, and fit and healthy, Nola!

    We are wooing that your precious self and your entire family stay safe during this storm season. White Dog positive thoughts that the winds will be gentle and the rain loving...and the hurricanes all pass you by.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look grrrrrreat, Nola!
    It is important to keep the extra weight away, right?
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nola, you are always beautiful but you do look very trim now. I understand how impawtant it is for us to be a healthy weight, so we don't have sickies and booboos. The plate of food looks absolutely yummy but the one of your face is my favorite, Idon't know why your Mommy doesn't think it looks good. If Nola is in it, it always looks good.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Nola,

    You were perfect before, but now you look awesomely perfect!! :)

    Big wags,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow!! That is a poster card for the perfect dachshund look doncha think??

    Shelle, Milo, Dixie and Newby
    http://simpaticodreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!