Monday, July 23, 2012

Blog The Change


Hi everyone! Dachshund Mommy here. Today, July 23rd, is Blog The Change for animals. What exactly is that mean? Today is one of four a year were bloggers 
unite to spread the word about animals in shelters and promote adoption. 

If you're intested in helping, here are just a few ways you can make a difference:
  • Adopt an animal
  • Volunteer
  • Donate, either money or supplies
  • Promote spay and neuter
  • Spread the word about adoptable animals in your community 

Yesterday I volunteered for the first time at our local humane society, and I've never done something so exhausting (physically and emotionally) and at the same time so  rewarding. I spent two hours cleaning, walking dogs, filling water bowls, poop scooping and playing with the dogs. I made a friend in a gorgeous little Australian Shepherd mix, he was just so sweet. I wanted to take him home! 
I'm very happy to be working in a place that is no kill, but at the same time the reality of a no kill shelter really is slapped me in the face. There are dogs there that have been waiting for their forever homes months, years even. There's a pit/lab mix who's been there for three years, and just recently got adopted. Several others have been there for a year or two as well.
It's a hard thing to do, but I'm more the glad to be doing it.

To close this post, here's two adorable and adoptable dogs. One is available through Bay County Humane Society and the other is available through Florida Dachshund Rescue. Fingers crossed these babies find their forever homes! 




Description:
Guiness is a beautiful 5 month old Australian Shepherd mix who is very friendly and as gentle as they come.  He was kept chained in his backyard and has already had two homes in his short, little life so becoming a part of a forever family would make him happier than can be imagined.  We are pretty sure he dreams of cuddling up next to his person on the sofa and chasing balls in the dog park, so if you can give this beautiful dog the home he deserves, come meet him today!









Hi! My name is Lady Kingston, and the best way to describe me is a 7 pound ball of boundless energy. I LOVE to play, not so much with toys but with you. I run everywhere I go. Walking isn’t in my vocabulary. However, I love to go on “walks”, but because I am so small it’s actually more of a run. I am such a high jumper! So you really have to watch me, because I will jump on and off the highest surfaces, which could hurt my little stubs and back.
I am super smart, and learn quickly, like lightening. I learned to use my doggie steps in a few minutes. You just have to keep moving them for me, and I will use them. I get my kicks out of giving kisses, laying on your lap, or just being beside you. I simply adore sleeping in the human bed, cuddled up with you, but if you prefer, I also don’t mind my own bed.
I am completely house-broken, UTD on vaccines, had a dental and am completely healthy. I will go to my crate on command, though I do just fine outside of it. I do have a fear of men. My foster mom is working on building my trust with them and I am quickly making great strides. So, if there is a man in my new home, I just need him to be very patient and understanding with me. I love other dogs; I currently live with four big ones. I don’t think I’ve had encounters with cats, but they may be ok. I have not lived with children and my foster mom thinks I would NOT do well around young children.
If you want to love me, like I do you, and you think I am the right dog for you, please fill out an application with my name on it and email my foster mom at sbauer7427@gmail.com. She will answer any other questions you may have about me. I can’t wait to be in my forever home, and most of all I can’t wait to me you!
Hugs,
Dachshund Mommy

28 comments:

  1. Good on you for volunteering! Deccy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a rewarding day you had! The joy, the fun and the tears. We go to our local humaine society and bring food and t-shirts. They are always in need! And we frequently make $ donations too. Mommy can't stay long tho because she walks in the front doors and just starts crying and crying and crying. Last month when she went there was a beautiful male Doxie who needed a home because his previous owner couldn't spend enough time with him. That broke her heart. She sat on the floor in front of him and bawled her eyes out. She could hardly see when she left.

    To quote our Grandma, Mommy says "you're a good woman McGee!"

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first foray into the shelter volunteer world. :) It's both painful and rewarding as you say but the impact it can have on the life of a dog is immeasurable.

    What a couple of cuties you have featured here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you've moved somewhere with a bigger yard!

    -Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a no kill shelter in the area is such a great thing. I think having really detailed descriptions is one of the best things that can be done for dogs that are looking for adoption. Reading about personalities is the best and so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to volunteer at a shelter when I was a teenager (a long time ago). Sadly it wasn't a no-kill shelter and watching all those animals being led to "THE ROOM" just because they were old, not cute enough, shy, afraid....took it's toll. I am ashamed to say I have not stepped foot into a shelter since then. It's just too heart breaking. I do try to contribute by practicing TNR.
    I'm glad you are able to volunteer at a no-kill shelter. Keep it up!

    ....Whisppy's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a good thing....it can be hard but at least those animals are safe while waiting for their forever homes. Good luck to those pups - they are cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful thing to do.
    We hope those two beautiful dogs get the homes they deserve!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how great! What a rewarding thing to do. I'm sure Nola is very, very proud of you! Those are some amazing faces there ~ I sure hope someone will soon take them to their furever homes.

    Kisses,

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome thing to do! We all deserve loving forever homes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent POST and Excellent that you have started to volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you to get the word out there. We hope those pups find their homes soon.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post! I hope this helps Guiness and Lady Kingston find their forever homes. How wonderful of you to volunteer to help other animals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The thought of dogs in shelters for years just makes me so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Nola's mom!
    <3

    Hildy & my mom love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for that great post. Mommy is going to work on something. It is so great of you to remind everyone. There can never be enough times to remember these pals waiting for furever homes. We are all lucky pups that already have ours.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are AWESOME for volunteering! My rescue I'm on the board of has an alltime high of 35 dogs currently up for adoption - which sounds low, but we don't have a brick and mortar building, just amazing foster parents spread across the country. I've recently started blogging for the rescue (http://fureverdachshundrescue.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/dachshund-days-of-summer-rubys-story/) too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is so cool that yous is volunteering. Yous guys ROCKS!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for promoting good causes! I'm going to do a post soon about all the rescue groups that were at the Reliant Show last week. All beautiful dogs needing homes! Spay/neuter/rescue/adopt! And only buy a dog if from a reputable breeder who can explain the breed to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You two are beautiful souls! What a awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your volunteerism work! I have yet to do that. I can only imagine that its quite a reality check.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good job!! Keep us posted as to whether these two get furrever homes. Who can resist?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I applaud you Nola Mommy. Volunteering can be a lot of work but the rewards are priceless. I hope someday I get to volunteer too. We don't have rescue shelters in our city... we don't have pounds either... but if we get one, I'll sure be the first to sign in.

    We hope this guys find their forever home.

    Huggies and Cheese,

    Haopee

    ReplyDelete
  24. How great that you were able to volunteer, I know it must feel so great. I regret that I didn't volunteer when I was younger. I have rescued many dogs and cats, so while that makes up for it, I am still sorry I didn't think to help out the way you did. And Nola is just gorgeous, what a wonderful picture in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you volunteering to spend a day with the sweet dogs in need of homes at your local shelter. When I get time to volunteer I go to a no-kill shelter too. While it's sad that some of them have been there for years, if I volunteered at a kill shelter I would need a MUCH bigger house. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good for you for volunteering! Pip started off as a foster dog from the shelter I volunteered at ...guess what, 11 years later, he is still here!

    I sure hope Guiness and Lady Kingston find homes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome post - great idea to highlight these lovely pups!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!