Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Food ''Recipe"

Hi everyone! My new friends Higgins and his Mom are curious about how Mom makes my food and are wanting to know more about it.
As most of you know, I'm allergic to corn and soy. Which is part of the reason Mom and I love homemade food, because you can tailor it to your furbaby's specific needs without it costing an arm and a leg. There's a page above titled ''Food Fit For A Queen (i.e. ME)'' that tells you what ingredients the humans normally use and how they are good for us. Mom also makes our treats, the recipe can be found here.
A Regular Food Recipe-By Dachshund Nola:
Ingredients:
Chicken. We just make a whole one and use the dark meat and a very small amount of skin.
Apples. 1 or 2 medium ones
Oats. 1 1/2 cups uncooked
Carrots. 15-20 baby carrots
Celery. 2 stalks
Rice. 2-4 cups
Peas. 1 can
Brewers yeast. 1 tablespoon
Organic ground flaxseed. 1 tablespoon.

Boil the chicken till completely cooked. Separate the dark meat (or white meat, if you like dark) and chop it up into smallish pieces, depending on your dog's size.

Cook the rice, let it cool.

Chop up your veggies and apples into little pieces, and put them and the can of peas into a large mixing bowl.

Add the oats, brewers yeast and flaxseed to the mixing bowl. Stir thoroughly.

Add the cooled rice and chicken into the bowl and mix everything together.

Put it into a tightly sealed container and put it in the fridge, or freeze half in Ziplock bags. This amount normally (when Boston isn't pregnant) lasts about a week for us 3 Doxies. Boston and Auggie get a cup a day and I get 3/4 a cup. The whole process takes about 35-45 minutes and the people spend about $15 to $25 a month for food, which is much cheaper then the high end dog food the people bought before.
We have more energy, shiny soft coats, improved behavior, clean teeth and our overall heath is excellent.
Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

16 comments:

  1. Hey Nola - thanks for sharing the recipe. Can you ask your mom for me what's helping keep your teeth nice and clean? (Everything here looks kind of soft to me so I don't know if it's something in the mix or if she's giving you other stuff for that.) Just curious because I've been thinking about cooking for Bella...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the "Queen Bee's" recipe Nola! I'm gonna print it out right now and give it to Mommy. Maybe when we get to Florida in a few weeks, she will make this for us. It sounds so yummy. We've done chicken before (YUMMY) with carrots and also boiled beef. I've never had celery before, so that shall be a treat for me! Does yours get heated in the microwave to take the chill out? Mommy heats our food and I think it tastes much better. Oh, we also eat pumpkin. It's high in fiber and supposed to be good for our glands.

    Hugs, Lily Belle

    P.S. Daddy is having his tooth pulled tomorrow morning ~ OUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the great info, Nola!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nola, thanks so much for putting this recipe on the blog! I am having my mom get the stuff to make this for me. I have been suffering with some allergies and hopefully this will help me with my itchies. The vet said that I could be tested to see what is causing my problem...of course my mom is all for it, but my dad does not want to spend the money, so paws crossed that this may help!!!!! Thanks again!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I am amazed it lasts a week. My humans made me home made cookies that did not last more than 3-4 days because they started molding. :( I guess this is refrigerated which I am sure helps. Thanks a bunch for putting this on the blog,I will tell my humans to make it for me this Christmas!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Nola. It really sounds so yummy. Mom wonders how much she would have to give us since we are so much bigger:)

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you don't cook the Oats furst??? Must be quick cook kind.
    My mom cooks stuffs fur Me too... She cookers everything all together though.
    Today she made this one
    Chicken Liver Brownies... Holiday Edition.. fur that she added Carrots fur the Red and Parsley that she picked FRESH from the garden fur the Green.
    PLUS she cooked two WHOLE Packages of Chicken Hearts.. fur Ernie and I to have fur when WE gets company over the Holidays.. so we can give them some Delicious snacks.
    I agree that it is MUCH MUCH cheaper and BETTER to cooker our foods From Scratch.
    You should taste Mom's Slammin Sammon. Ernie almost FAINTS when we get THAT one.
    I still don't know where to get the Brewer's Yeast.. BUTT have you EVER tried LONG COOK BARLEY??? I LOVE BARLEY... butt it takes 50 mins. to cooker up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If Finn could read, she would be drooling. It is definitely fit for a queen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nola!
    Wow, this sounds yummy! I gotta talk to my chef about this. BOL Actually Mom cooks for me too. I get "Lovin Liver" and "Slammin Salmon" that are recipes from Frankie's Mom. If you want them, let me know and I'll share. Meanwhile I'm checking our fridge for chicken!
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your food sounds yummy...although I have a hard enough time cooking for myself. Ha, ha. I have thought about making something for the dogs to alternate with dry food for variety and maybe better nutrition so I might try it sometime though. I'll be giving the dogs the while meat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is a lot cheaper and natural than dog food. I wish I would have had this recipe for my late basset Barney. He was allergic to everything! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Nola that sure is a pawsome bunch of noms! No wonder you look so sleek and shiny with a BIG smile!

    woos, Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for leaving an explanation over on our blog! That makes sense and I think we're going to look into doing this for Bella.

    (PS - I keep coming by here what feels like every couple of hours just to see if there is puppy news yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Nola...this looks absolutely YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete